Newbie, go easy on me - Charging with usb cable

bertiebhoy

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Right, i've decided to install a dash cam in my car, went for a cheap one starting out so i can make my mind up before buying
a decent one, problem i have is the charge isn't lasting more than half an hour (could be the reason it was so cheap), anyway
ive an aftermarket head unit with 2 usb ports at the back (one im using as a charger for my phone), will it be ok or even work
if i was to route a 2m usb cable from the rear of the unit up along the car and behind the mirror to keep the camera fully charged

Dash cams aren't meant to be used on battery power. Anything half-decent or > will come with capacitors.

Powering dash cams via USB ports on head units can be a hit or a miss. Some don't deliver enough power and if the cable has a data line, could induce mass storage mode too.

Use the included power supply or get a decent gauge USB cable and 12 to 5V USB car charger.

Right, i've decided to install a dash cam in my car, went for a cheap one starting out so i can make my mind up before buying
a decent one, problem i have is the charge isn't lasting more than half an hour (could be the reason it was so cheap), anyway
ive an aftermarket head unit with 2 usb ports at the back (one im using as a charger for my phone), will it be ok or even work
if i was to route a 2m usb cable from the rear of the unit up along the car and behind the mirror to keep the camera fully charged
It would be nice to know the camera's brand and model, if possible. I'm curious to know because usually the batteries in the dashcams only last a few minutes.

Last edited:
It would be nice to know the camera's brand and model, if possible. I'm curious to know because usually the batteries in the dashcams only last a few minutes.

It’s an Itek slimline 1080p, picked it up in a local Lidl store, seen them range from 10 to 30 euros depending where you go

Back