Newer Lukas 7900-ACE deliveries ... better focus?

fishbert

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has Lukas done anything to fix the focus issues on the 7900 in the factory?

I just borked mine trying to fix the focus myself, and am trying to decide what to buy as a replacement. The camera has been pretty good, apart from that one big issue. And since I already have a lot of possibly Lukas-specific "stuff" already (hardwired cabling, 128GB memory card, etc.), I wouldn't mind getting another 7900 ... but only if they've started doing a better job at setting the focus properly, of course.

Hi fishbert,

I am Kelvin from BlackBoxed.ca. We have a new batch of Lukas LK7900 ACE in stock with the focus issue fixed.

I have attached a video to show you the video quality of the LK7900 ACE I have installed in my own car.

We offer warranty to all of our dash cams for 12 months and we ship to the States at a flat rate fee of $9.99. Use the higher US dollar to save money with us.

Kelvin

Did Lukas tell you they did anything about the focus, or are you basing the "focus issue fixed" on your own observations alone?
Is the one you have installed in your car from this new batch? ... if not, how long ago did you get it?
What noise filter and sharpness settings did you use for that video? ... could you do one with them both set to minimum?
Could you make the raw video available instead of a compressed youtube version?
I assume the new batch you have in stock comes with the new mount design, yes?
The 15-day return on your site... does that have any strings attached, or could I buy one, try it, and return it "just because" within that time?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm sure you can understand that I'm a little sensitive about getting burned by the same issue again on a $250 camera.

Last edited:
We did ask Lukas about the issue and they have been more strict with their quality control since they noticed the problem. Also, with our own testings, there have been no problems with focus.

We just got this batch about two weeks ago and it does come with the new mount and the old mount in the same box.

The return policy is only for unopened items. However, we offer 1 year warranty on our dash cams.

I'll upload and post a link for the raw video later for you.

It is completely fine. I'll make sure the LK7900 works perfectly for you if you order from us

Kelvin

Returns are only for unopened items?
That's not what it sounded like here: http://www.blackboxed.ca/pages/returns
Want to return your package? Send us an email first and see if we can help resolve your problem.

If you are still unhappy with your purchase. Simple. You have 15 days after receiving the package to return your item. Send us an email first and we will give you the address to send it to. Mail us back the product you want to return, at your expense, and we will give you back the money. Items must be in undamaged and in their original packaging.

Damaged items or missing packaging will be charged the reduction in value based on our valuation.

Sorry, I should clarify this. The Lukas LK7900 has a security seal on the box, which will be broken if the box is opened. We do need everything intact in its original packaging for a full refund. If you want to refund it after the seal is broken, we will charge a minimal charge for the reduction in value, which will be $20.00 in this case.

However, we will do everything we can to fix your issue first before doing a refund

This information is also sent in the box with the delivery.

Kelvin

An update for folks...

Ok, so I got the replacement LK-7900 today and tried it out. Here's how the new one compares to the old.
OLD: http://i.imgur.com/Po6oSh9.png
NEW: http://i.imgur.com/Yc2D1iU.png
(apologies for the dirty windscreen and ****eyed mounting)

The new camera is using the exact same memory card as the old, so the config file is identical with 'noise filter' and 'sharpness' set to the minimum (so I'm looking at the camera, not an algorithm).

The focus is still not quite where I'd want it to be, but it's lightyears ahead of where the old one was, and probably good enough to not be worth cracking open to adjust further. This is also where bumping the noise filter and sharpness back up to their defaults may help. I'm going to compare again every few days over the next 2 weeks to see if this holds up.

Thank you for ordering with us. If there are any problems, let me know and I'll do everything I can to make it right.

Kelvin

Last edited by a moderator:
Was curious about what happened when you tried to take apart your 7900? I did my 7500, and the most scary part was trying to break loose the adhesive on the lens threads - that is the part that could go badly wrong.

Your new 7900 looks much better, but still just short of perfect - I think it probably a 'keeper' though. What are you using for 'sharpness' and 'noise'? I've pretty much settled on a click more brightness (usually have a CPF screwed on, unless I'll be driving a long ways at night), default sharpness, and '1' for noise.

Was curious about what happened when you tried to take apart your 7900? I did my 7500, and the most scary part was trying to break loose the adhesive on the lens threads - that is the part that could go badly wrong.
I tried breaking loose the adhesive gently, but it wouldn't budge, so I manhandled it a bit with a wrench. It scraped the paint around the part that holds the lens, but that part is hidden inside the housing anyway and it's metal (quite robust), so I didn't worry about it too much. The damage happened later when I had it all open and plugged in to my TV and was turning that lens piece to adjust the focus... I forgot that the camera assembly wasn't secured by anything other than the connector it plugs into, and after a few turns of the lens holder the pins on that connector were starting to buckle and some pads it was soldered down to got pulled up. If I were to try again at some point, I'd take extra care to be sure the lens holder could move extremely freely before plugging it back in and trying to adjust it because any friction when turning that lens holder will put a twisting force right on that connector, and it's just not designed for that.

Last edited:
Ah, I can see how that happened. Next time, just pull the lens / sensor assembly off the printed circuit board (it is the cool little rectangular plug / socket you are now familiar with) to break loose the lens threads. Plug it back in after determining that the lens turns freely. Focus in dim light with the TV, put a small drop of wife or girlfriends fingernail polish (or yours? :) on the lens threads. I'm assuming you've saved the wreckage for spare parts?

-----------

edit - I just really read your post and you said exactly what I said. Sorry about the waste of bandwidth. Next time I'll read first.

I recently upgraded my two 7900s (one front window/one rear window) from AC27 and AC29 to AC31 and previously non-existent focus issued as described in this forum started. AC29 performed far better in every respect than AC31 and had no focus or audio issues, and I will need to downgrade both cameras as no new firmware has been released for the 7900 in nearly half a year. However Lukas' site does not still have the previous version posted.

as no new firmware has been released for the 7900 in nearly half a year.

Is it because present FW is good enough to work well and no need to upgrade it or is there any other reason they do not release updates ?

@ niko the last time I was in contact with lukas (about 3 weeks ago) they said there are no plans at present to upgrade the firmware so perhaps they think it works well enough. Never say never there may well be an update in the future......Ipol..........PS next time I am in conversation with them I will pose the question again.

@ niko the last time I was in contact with lukas (about 3 weeks ago) they said there are no plans at present to upgrade the firmware so perhaps they think it works well enough. Never say never there may well be an update in the future......Ipol..........PS next time I am in conversation with them I will pose the question again.

I mean, if there is no need for new FW ( if everything works fine ), then its OK not to bring a new FW, I guess ? ;)

Anyone know if there is a UK based importer for Lukas products?

A visual update...

Stills from paused video (late afternoon sun)
4/14: http://i.imgur.com/Po6oSh9.png (old camera... minimum noise filter & sharpness)
4/26: http://i.imgur.com/Yc2D1iU.png (new camera... minimum noise filter & sharpness)
5/06: http://i.imgur.com/Jl6RSdM.png (new camera... default noise filter & sharpness)
5/08: http://i.imgur.com/3KHJrnW.png (new camera... default noise filter & sharpness)
5/09: http://i.imgur.com/7B8BTs5.png (new camera... default noise filter & sharpness)

Video Clip (mid-day sun)
5/10: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7176235/alwa_20140510_131300.avi (new camera... default noise filter & sharpness)

The default settings sure help make license plates pop, but for pure image quality I think I prefer the minimum settings (maybe there's a happy medium to be had). Can't help but think that it wouldn't have to work so hard on the sharpness if the video had better focus to begin with. Again, it's a massive improvement from where the old camera was, and I haven't seen the focus get any worse over the short time I've had the new camera (being in a hotter climate, I had wondered if maybe the heat warped the first camera's lens). But I don't know... am I crazy to think it should be better for a high-end dashcam?

Last edited:
What is the difference between 7900 ACE and ARA ?

And when will 7900 wifi released?

Back