Next Viofo Cam

Probably needs a side by side to get a fair comparison especially if the rear window has a heavy tint. One thing that does jump out is the white balance appears better on the WR1 assuming the tint isn't influencing it.

Can button be used to manually lock current and last recording? There is no mention of it in manual.

Can button be used to manually lock current and last recording? There is no mention of it in manual.
Yes,I it can.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

Here's my video from the Viofo WR1 (3 min clip) compared to the Shadow2s Plus (1 min clip). I'll probably change the Viofo WR1 to 1 min clip to make it more comparable with the scene when comparing other dash cam with similar time recording.

Daytime in the afternoon
WR1:

Shadow2s Plus:

Fog Condition
WR1:

Shadow2s Plus:

Can someone just confirm for me, can you adjust the cameras settings via the PC, in which case do you need an app for the PC, or can it be adjusted by smartphone only?

Unfortunately, all settings must be made over wifi with your phone or tablet. Connecting the camera to your PC will only allow you to read the memory card.

OK Thanks. I just got one of these, but I broke my smartphone a few weeks ago. Looks like a new smartphone is in order.

Unboxing video coming soon...

You can always get an emulator, and see if that would work

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OK Thanks. I just got one of these, but I broke my smartphone a few weeks ago. Looks like a new smartphone is in order.

Unboxing video coming soon...

We already have at least two WR1 unboxing videos. Do we really need another?

Why not focus instead on how the WR1 fits with your everlasting quest for ultimate image quality? I'd be interested in seeing some of your video samples.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-wr-1-unboxing.29751/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/wr1-unboxing.29592/

So, what's the deal that you keep breaking your things? ;)

1. Any hosted video isn't exclusively viewed by members on here.

2. Waiting on a memory card.

I meant to upload an unboxing and review a while ago. Given that it's been done , do you have a preference for what type of samples you want?( night, day, rain, overcast)

My initial thoughts:
(My camera was provided to me for free in exchange for feed back and review)

Physical Features:
The WR1 is very discrete. Although opinions may vary, I love that it has no screen distracting myself or my passengers. The camera itself is easily hidden behind the rear view mirror and blends well with the dark casing. The camera is much smaller than pictures make it appear, about half the size of a credit card in diameter and about an inch thick. I also appreciate viofo thoughtfully including cable clips in order to neatly run the cable across the windshield and down the side pillar.

App and Video Review:
I initially had trouble pairing the wifi network with the app, but after trying again it for lack of a better word, just works. The app is simple but easily navigable and has most of the bare bones features that you could want. The one annoyance I had is that in order to view videos through the app the camera must stop recording; this is indicated by a constant beeping sound. I understand that viofo needs to notify users that their camera is not recording but I wish that the implementation would mute the beeping sound while actively reviewing past recordings.

Footage:
I tried to include a varied sampling of video clips below ranging from bright sunlight to driving at night. In general the video quality is pretty good for the price. It is clearly a budget camera and makes no attempt to compete with the greater than $200 camera category. For example. it is very difficult to catch license plates unless still and less than a couple of car lengths away. On a positive note, I noticed that the sensor did a great job adjusting to a variety of conditions. Below I included a sample of sun,fog, rain, night, and transitioning under bridges to show the speed that the sensor can adapt to lighting conditions. I was especially impressed for the most part with how fast the camera was able to focus after coming from relative darkness to bright sunlight. That being said it did have slight issues with large lighting contrasts such as a blinding affect from direct headlights in the dark as well as break lights having a funky effect in a tunnel. Feel free to make your own judgments.

Note: I LEFT THE SOUND ON, IT's NOT WORK APPROPRIATE (comedy radio)

I would absolutely recommend this camera for those who want a discrete device for the basics, especially at its price point. I will most likely be picking up a second one for my rear windshield. If you want fancy features like parking mode, gps (its in the works but not out yet), or a higher quality 2k/4k camera, be prepared to shell out the big bucks.

I appreciate the review above, but can anyone really drill in-depth of their experience with the Viofo app?

Basically the only reason someone would get the WR1 over the A119 is because of the WiFi so I was hoping to hear more about the WiFi/app experiences.

I appreciate the review above, but can anyone really drill in-depth of their experience with the Viofo app?

Basically the only reason someone would get the WR1 over the A119 is because of the WiFi so I was hoping to hear more about the WiFi/app experiences.

To me, a WiFi dash cam is still somewhat not that useful unless you really need to view the video ASAP on your phone or some bigger screen device. It's hard to say how good the app is when there are multiple apps that works with this dash cam. Currently, on my iPhone, I am using FNMultiCam (instruction guide tells you to download this...) and the app is okay. Not the best. Some of the settings you're not allow to change when the dash cam is recording. I haven't tested transferring files from the dash cam to my phone though.

The other app that seems to work when your dash cam is updated to v1.0.1 is VIOFO. At this stage, the dash cam is able to use different app to change settings. The issue I had when I was using VIOFO for one day, then ignore using the app altogether, the dash cam stopped recording when the card started as auto recording mode was disabled apparently. I had to go back into FNMultiCam to turn on auto recording for it to automatically record when the dash cam receives power when car starts. I don't even remember changing much settings if any besides disabling the microphone within VIOFO app and that caused the dash cam for the next few start-ups to not record until manually hit record button via FNMultiCam app... After a few times, I finally decided to go into the settings in FNMultiCam to see what settings was changed when I had it connected to VIOFO (which I noticed that auto recording was turned off...)

Id do an app review but I have no access to my cam or car for a few weeks and the app is useless without being connected to the cam.

I could do without the wifi. It's the form-factor that appeals to me most with this cam. Wedge cams aren't always a good choice away from front mounting and even then they're not always the best choice.

Phil

To me, a WiFi dash cam is still somewhat not that useful unless you really need to view the video ASAP on your phone or some bigger screen device.

I agree with your thinking, except for one WiFi capability that I think makes the feature essential (or perhaps just desirable) in a screen-less camera. That would be the ability to see what the camera sees on your mobile device for precise aiming when you install the camera or change its orientation. :)

I agree with your thinking, except for one WiFi capability that I think makes the feature essential (or perhaps just desirable) in a screen-less camera. That would be the ability to see what the camera sees on your mobile device for precise aiming when you install the camera or change its orientation. :)

I'd have to agree although couldn't this also be achieved by a Micro USB to Mini USB lead from camera to phone, provided the camera was set up to interface with a USB Android / IOS app?

I see WiFi as a chipset that in some manufacturers cameras has occasionally been prone to fail in hot camera conditions. Hopefully Viofo won't have any issue. Great believer though in KIS - Keep it simple.

I'd have to agree although couldn't this also be achieved by a Micro USB to Mini USB lead from camera to phone, provided the camera was set up to interface with a USB Android / IOS app?

I see WiFi as a chipset that in some manufacturers cameras has occasionally been prone to fail in hot camera conditions. Hopefully Viofo won't have any issue. Great believer though in KIS - Keep it simple.

The problem with USB connections for aiming is frequent disconnections due to constant tugging on the cable, at least during the initial install. Faced this with both the M1 and M2.

I'd probably use WiFi only for aiming. Getting a clip off the SD card is easier done with an OTG adapter + card reader.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W WR1 48
W WR1 0
Yooshaw WR1 3
J WR1 4
J WR1 5
Back