Nextbase 380GW Discrete

Yes a big price increase which is disappointing, especially when her initial message said it should be £149.99 including VAT before editing it to £179.99

It appears there has been some miscommunication with the website in regards to VAT, it should have always been £179.99.

I did yes - a typo, the 4 is below the 7.

Should have bought two at £149.99 then.:(:love:

Me too, annoying thing was that the price was £149.99 when I emailed Nextbase sales and still no reply.

Can you let me know the email address you sent the email to @ronaldis ? and if you can PM me your email I will check on this as it never usually takes several days for a response.

Usually same day if not within a few hours.

was going to order 2 now and maybe 2 later if they worked out ok, but at £180 each that's too high for me

The inconsistencies in pricing of the cam don't reflect too well for Nextbase! Issues like this are sure to make customers look elsewhere.

Having used this for a few weeks now I only have a few suggestions:

On the positive side the solid mount and 'discrete' are good. I don't think this can be improved. Yes, the side covers are stiff and I do take one side off to connect via USB but it's easily do-able with a small screwdriver.

What would be nice would be an increase to 60fps.

The other idea I have is to allow a bigger border allowing a change from:

n4wvQIS.jpg

To say (ignore the missing LatLong, etc, just blacked out for edit convenience)

UtlzNyF.jpg

This would eliminate the dash reflections. Perhaps a new setting by % to allow user preference.

Even a change in Replay to allow editing?

In a truck with no bonnet this 150° vertical wide angle will be superb I imagine but in a car/van it only needs to be a horizontal wide angle IMO.

Last edited:
Stick a bit of black masking tape on the lens K.:eek:

Must admit that the 16x9(ish) display does look a LOT better. Brilliant, K.

If that were incorporated into the OS, it would also have the 'benefit' of a lower data rate and allow about 30% more recording on the SD card. The 'picture size' on my digital camera goes from 18Mpx at 4:3 to 13Mpx at 16:9. A data reduction of about 30% and it would, as you say, eliminate a lot of the unwanted dashboard video AND the resultant video would 'fit' a TV screen better. What's not to like?
How hard can it be as most digital cameras do that by default?

So c'mon Nextbase, give us a 16:9 aspect ratio option on ALL your cameras via a firmware update.

And fit it with a polarising filter. That, with 16:9, would be a deal maker for me.

Last edited:
:cry: OOPS. Kremmens top doesn't look 16:9. OK perhaps an even more severe aspect ratio then in line with Kremmens lower example.

Yep, K's pic is 255x110 on my screen which is pretty much 21:9:)
Be like a 2.35:1 (Cinemascope film) on a TV, but captures pretty much exactly what's needed in a car.
All I have to do now is calculate the data rate/capacity saving.
First guess is that it would be about 25-30%. about the same as the reduction of 4:3 to 16:9

Last edited:
Don't use my screenshot sizing as gospel. I reduced it in size for Imgur. But, I've just checked in both VLC and Firefox and the .MOV files do have a left/right black banner, as did my 402 and 412 footage. It's probably being resized slightly because of the top and bottom Windows menu's and banners.

My Civic dash is a tad deep/severe compared to most so the widescreen effect is over emphasized.

The recording resolution is 1920x1080 - as is my PC Monitor. See what you make of this full monitor screenshot:

e6IJLgj.jpg

Fullscreen option:

qjbLmsW.jpg

M8 - get your ruler out :)

Last edited:
The bottom one is 16:9 as near as damit.
12:9 is the answer for cars I reckon.

EDIT: Damnation.
I meant 21:9

Last edited:
Yes - 1080p is 16:9

I think you're right @Kremmen the effect is exaggerated on your car.

Will check to see if it is something that could be included in the settings: leave it with me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm perfectly happy with this design.

The main area of interest is fine. All cameras have issues when the sun is in front. Having a glass windscreen in the mix makes it doubly difficult.

I'm sure Nextbase have a winner with this design, I'm just thinking ahead.

Maybe what I should have done is angle the lens upwards to eliminate more dash and used the windscreen black dots to hide the sky.
Too late now because I'm saving the spare sticker for emergencies.

Last edited:
Back