Nextbase 512GW and 412GW questions

So that means I need another card and the camera is not faulty

cameras rely on good quality media

talk to whoever you bought that card from, there's a good chance they already know it's fake and will just refund you, there's a whole industry that exists selling fake cards because the big market for them is mobile phones and people generally don't find out they're fake until it's way too late to do anything about it, sucks but that's how it is unfortunately

So, I put another micro SD card of 32GB inside. I've made a short video and close the camera, connected to the laptop and i get this error message: "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed. Error code: 0x8000000a plus I don't have any videos inside...so the problem is the camera, not the micro SD card.

Last edited:
error code implies a formatting error, did you format the card in camera before use?

is it a known good card, have you tested it?

do you have a card reader you can use instead of trying to use the camera as a card reader (cameras make for poor card readers at the best of times)?

I have formatted the card inside the camera before filming. Its a good card cuz it was used by someone else.
So there is a change the camera might have a problem saving the videos and I need to return it.

I have formatted the card inside the camera before filming. Its a good card cuz it was used by someone else.
So there is a change the camera might have a problem saving the videos and I need to return it.

you were using a fake card, I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the camera

And how do I know if is a fake card or not? you just buy a micro SD card and use it...if its cheap you expect to be crap, if you pay couple of pounds, you expect to be better.

And how do I know if is a fake card or not? you just buy a micro SD card and use it...if its cheap you expect to be crap, if you pay couple of pounds, you expect to be better.

test it with h2testw, it will identify the fake cards easily

But than means I need to buy dozens of cards and spend hundreds of pounds to find a good card, right?

Program called fakeflashtest HERE sorts out the fakes well.
What the fakers do is to take a small card fiddle with the innards to make it look like a bigger one to a host system and label it as a bigger one.
Once the small capacity is used, it starts overwriting the stuff at the beginning.

Question on the 412GW how long should i get recording time at 1400p on a 64 or 128gb SD Card, and what should i use? I am looking for around 4-5 hours of footage that it can hold

Last edited:
Hi @MarkL

I have emailed you this morning but I'll paste it here in case other customers have similar questions.

The 512GW has ‘intelligent parking mode’ which means you can leave it on all the time: the processor inside the unit will know to differentiate between the ultra-sensitive accelerometer readings when you’re parked up with the ignition off and the more vigorous readings you get when driving around town.

When activated in the menu parking mode utilises the G-Sensor (accelerometer) inside the unit and when an impact is detected on the left/right or forward/backwards axis it will turn on and record for 2 minutes drawing power from its internal battery.

It is not optical sensing so if you were to walk around the car this will not be picked up.

The parking mode G-Sensor values are very low to ensure it does turn on and record if the car is knocked/bumped whilst stationary.

You’re correct, the camera will only record what it is pointing at, this will however be evidence to your insurance company that your car was indeed bumped in a car park whilst stationary.
Hi Tiffany/all,
New member here.
I bought and hard wired a 512GW ultra with intention to add the rear cam once I can acquire.
I had purchased this camera on the understanding that it utilised 'motion detection' IE it detected motion in front of the lens and started recording (IE a car pulls up in front and reverses back towards the lens)
I was not expecting the camera to activate 'after' my car has been bumped - is that the case?
I have been using the camera for a few weeks and there are several files where for no apparent reason there is a protected file randomly in the day or night where the only difference is - there's a car parked in front of me
when previously there wasn't one, or there's a car parked in front of me when there was a different one.
If this unit does 'NOT' detect movement - then that would suggest that these cars are all hitting my car ... seems unlikely?

Hello @FrankG

You're correct - it isn't optical triggering its physical movement on the forward/backwards or left/right axis that will trigger it - a G-Sensor.

We've recently changed the start up screen which has just over halved the time it takes to power on which is good news.

Parking mode is very sensitive to make sure and bumps/scraps are caught, we've taken the decision that its better to have more protected than not enough.

Sorry for the delay @Luke9 1440p on the 412GW should give 4 hours' worth of footage on 64Gb and 8 on 128Gb.

Hi all. I'm sure it's been covered before but bear with me. My 412gw stops recording. Sometimes just beeps and turns on the buttons blue lights but recording goes normal; sometimes beeps and blue lights on, stops recording but starts recording very quickly and lastly sometimes beeps, blue lights on and stops recording but nothing else happens, I have to manually start recording again. I have it hardwired, bought a cheap kit on ebay but aware of the problems it may cause I also used the supplied car power cable with no noticeable changes. My memory card is a Samsung Evo Plus Micro SDXC UHS-I 128GB bought from Picstop. I did format it quite a bit because of the issues I have. I have updated the firmware, have the last release R16.2. Any advises welcomed, preferably not implying buying other memory cards. Thank you.

Have you reset the cam (little pinhole) and did you format the card in camera or on your PC?

No, I haven't reset it. The card was formated in the camera. Do you think a reset willl help?

It is always advisable to use the wiring kit supplied by the manufacturer.

Whilst they may all be mini USB what you don't know is whether all the pins are active, or even connected, in third party wires.

I know of old that TomTom for example had a 'control wire' in theirs and if you used a third party wire the unit wouldn't fire up.

That's why I used for a few days, like I already mentioned, the car power cable supplied with the camera. Nothing changed.

Back