Nextbase 522 fails again

Darkwing

Reaction score
Country
France
Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me? My Nextbase 522GW arrived with a knackered battery which took me about a month to figure. Nextbase would not replace it under warranty as I bought the 522 in the U.K. and now live in France. Warranty immediately voided after those twenty miles across the Channel. Now this has happened twice (this is the second mount). The bond to the windscreen also failed. E3DEA375-EE4D-4B45-A616-996E4FD7B657.jpegIt is not that hot here. Britain has been equally hot this Summer at times. Just another nail in the Nextbase coffin. Lesson learned never buy Nextbase, or recommend them. Not fit for intended purpose comes to mind.

Attachments

• C0D49348-CC16-430C-8DBD-9C5FE192F61C.jpeg
    C0D49348-CC16-430C-8DBD-9C5FE192F61C.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 1
I use suction cup mount, with through-cabin rear-view camera, no problems so far

Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me? My Nextbase 522GW arrived with a knackered battery which took me about a month to figure. Nextbase would not replace it under warranty as I bought the 522 in the U.K. and now live in France. Warranty immediately voided after those twenty miles across the Channel. Now this has happened twice (this is the second mount). The bond to the windscreen also failed. View attachment 66480It is not that hot here. Britain has been equally hot this Summer at times. Just another nail in the Nextbase coffin. Lesson learned never buy Nextbase, or recommend them. Not fit for intended purpose comes to mind.
Yup, I clean off and reapply double sticky tape on these and other brands on a weekly basis, if it’s warmer weather 25C plus then daily. It’s not just nextbase it’s all I’ve them just about.

The sticky mount isn’t really warranty material as it’s down to the installer to install it correctly (it’s actually 3M tape the same stuff used on most dashcams - nextbase/blackvue etc) ensuring to clean the glass not breath on it or touch the mounting area or pad etc to many variables) hence why they give you second pad in the box. Most that I see installed have a large air bubble (flat mount and curved glass - never going to work well).

Personally after having numerous suction types break and fall to pieces both the mechanism failing and the suction cup going brittle, rendering the dashcam useless, I’d rather just reapply some tape it’s pence worth and as long as you clean everything and apply it properly it should last several months of hot weather if not longer in cooler months.
Side note if it’s come off the plastic mount (like in your photo) alcohol wipes and fine emery cloth to roughen the surface slightly helps.

Get some stuff like number plate tape it works wonders avoid gorilla double sided as that doesn’t stick well.

If your cutting it to size either cut it slightly smaller than the actual mount size due to the slight lip, or cut two pieces so it acts like a sponge and gives a little- this will help somewhat with the curvature of the windscreen. When done ensure the screens cleaned and sort apply it from one edge to the other rather than trying to apply it flat again this will alleviate the bubble somewhat.

Last edited:
Any chance of a photograph to show how that works please?
The suction mount just replaces the sticky mount, both use the magnetic base to attach to the dashcam. You just slide the plastic bit with the sticky tab out (has 3 small pins/slots that line up) this slides back in place.IMG_6383.jpeg
This image shows how it would look before attaching back on the dashcam.

Usually around £15 or iirc you can get kit that includes both the suction and sticky type for about £20ish.

Yup, I clean off and reapply double sticky tape on these and other brands on a weekly basis, if it’s warmer weather 25C plus then daily. It’s not just nextbase it’s all I’ve them just about.

The sticky mount isn’t really warranty material as it’s down to the installer to install it correctly (it’s actually 3M tape the same stuff used on most dashcams - nextbase/blackvue etc) ensuring to clean the glass not breath on it or touch the mounting area or pad etc to many variables) hence why they give you second pad in the box. Most that I see installed have a large air bubble (flat mount and curved glass - never going to work well).

Personally after having numerous suction types break and fall to pieces rendering the dashcam useless, I’d rather just reapply some tape it’s pence worth and as long as you clean everything and apply it properly it should last several months of hot weather if not longer in cooler months.

Side note if it’s come off the plastic mount (like in your photo) alcohol wipes and fine emery cloth to roughen the surface slightly helps.

Get some stuff like number plate tape it works wonders avoid gorilla double sided as that doesn’t stick well.

If your cutting it to size either cut it slightly smaller than the actual mount size due to the slight lip, or cut two pieces so it acts like a sponge and gives a little- this will help somewhat with the curvature of the windscreen. When done ensure the screens cleaned and sort apply it from one edge to the other rather than trying to apply it flat again this will alleviate the bubble somewhat.

Personally after having numerous suction types break and fall to pieces rendering the dashcam useless, I’d rather just reapply some tape it’s pence worth and as long as you clean everything and apply it properly it should last several months of hot weather if not longer in cooler months.

Thank you for a thorough response. It is really helpful. I can not agree with the principle though of it being a normal occurrence for these mounts to fail in this way. These are not cheap units and for an owner to have to correct the manufacturers design flaws on a regular basis is, in my opinion, unacceptable.
If I were having to refit the car rear view mirror to the windscreen after a warm day on a regular basis then it would clearly be a warranty issue. How Nextbase can fail to provide an adequate fixing on a continuous basis once again raises the question of it being fit for its intended purpose. Clearly it fails in its prime function i.e. to fix the camera in position to allow the best possible view of the road both in front and behind the vehicle.

The suction mount just replaces the sticky mount, both use the magnetic base to attach to the dashcam. You just slide the plastic bit with the sticky tab out (has 3 small pins/slots that line up) this slides back in place.View attachment 66512
This image shows how it would look before attaching back on the dashcam.

Usually around £15 or iirc you can get kit that includes both the suction and sticky type for about £20ish.
Thank you for the photograph and information. Does this work with the 522GW and all current Nextbase units do you know?

Thank you for the photograph and information. Does this work with the 522GW and all current Nextbase units do you know?
Apologies for the late reply, I do completely agree on the mounting side of life, I’ve installed several garmins and blackvue all using a form of double side sticky pads, as far as I’m aware none have fallen off. It may be the weight as some of the nextbase units are considerably heavier but unsure really.

The mounts will work with all the current line up so from the 122 through to the 622.

I think the secret is allowing the sticky pad to mature for as long as is possible before applying the weight of the camera

Correct, the 3M instructions reckon it can be used after 24hrs but full 'stick' isn't achieved until 72hrs.

And never leave a new application in the sun's rays.

Correct, the 3M instructions reckon it can be used after 24hrs but full 'stick' isn't achieved until 72hrs.

And never leave a new application in the sun's rays.
Hmm interesting, Il keep this in mind, will mention it to customers.

I’ve had however several nextbase sticky pads with zero ability to even hold itself to the window let alone the weight of the mount straight out the box so not sure this is the issue.

I’ve always thought the air bubble + weight of units and the heat have been the main concern.

Apologies for the late reply, I do completely agree on the mounting side of life, I’ve installed several garmins and blackvue all using a form of double side sticky pads, as far as I’m aware none have fallen off. It may be the weight as some of the nextbase units are considerably heavier but unsure really.

The mounts will work with all the current line up so from the 122 through to the 622.
Thank you for the confirmation. After the failure of both supplied mounts I guess I will have to purchase one of these units.

Thank you for the confirmation. After the failure of both supplied mounts I guess I will have to purchase one of these units

I think the secret is allowing the sticky pad to mature for as long as is possible before applying the weight of the camera
Thank you for the response. Both of my failed units were attached to the screen for, in the first instance four months, and the second instance about three months. Also it was not just the bond to the windscreen which failed, it was the bond to the base unit which initially was made during manufacture. Clearly not fit for intended purpose.

I can understand a customer who has paid handsomely for a dash cam ifollowed by installation cost is keen to get into and use his/her new purchase. 72 hours, even 24 hours waiting might be too much to bare.

Not Nextbase but I've stuck VHB Pads to my windscreen and when I've needed to remove them they have been very difficult, well stuck.

All I've done is cleaned the inside windscreen with a small amount of meths, wiped clean then left that an hour to evaporate. Then stuck the base and left overnight, in a garage so no sun or direct heat and next day it's been fine.

Yes I’m sure you’re right, but will anyone leaving the likes of Other fitting establishments do the same, I doubt it.

Looking at that top picture, the manufacturer's follow all the correct guidelines so, just guessing, that dashcam has been left in full sun and the heat and dashcam weight (it does look like a substantial size unit) has just been too much.

I don't use parking mode so in the sun mine is just the mount which is very light.

Sorry I’m not quite grasping your reply, would the same outcome not happen if the sticky pad and camera where fitted without allowing the adhesive to cure.

Back