Nextbase 522GW SD Card Error

SimonL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an ongoing problem with my 522GW since purchase.
In the first week I had an SD Card Error asking me to format the card. After this happened (3 times in 2 weeks) I took it back to the retailer, who replaced both the unit and the card.
Within 2 weeks, I had the same problem, so clearly this was a "feature" of the product.

I spoke with NEXTBASE, who first asked what brand of card I used, as this was likely the problem. I informed them it was (and continues to be) the approved NEXTBASE SD Card, and I also pointed out this was the second card suffering the same problem.
As with other posts I've seen on this, I was given the same advise, "format your card regularly".
This to me seemed crazy, given the error was occurring regularly, and well before the card was full.
So annoyingly, this is what I do every few weeks when I remember, but the error still occurs, albeit less frequently - around once or twice a month.

So not the biggest deal in the world, until yesterday.
A borderline lunatic in a Range Rover, almost ran me off the road, blasted through a Red Light in front me, and just missed a car crossing from the adjacent junction.

I decided to pull the footage, re-watch it, and then decide whether to report the incident.
I hooked up my 522GW to the PC, selected ACCESS FILES, and up came the SD Card Error. I dismissed the message (obviously not wanting to format it) and checked the folders on the card. The PROTECTED folder only shows files up to Jan 30th!, and the VIDEO folder has only 1 file dated 2018, which pre-dates my purchase of the device! This file will not open incidentally.

So at this point, everything recorded in the VIDEO folder since the last format is gone.
Thankfully I'm not in the position of fighting against, or defending an insurance claim, but easily could have been had I not reacted quick enough to the swerving Range Rover.

I've now lost all confidence in this device.

Has anyone suffered this problem?

HI Simon, I have the same issue, only it seems to happen faster. I have had the unit replaced and the only way I can get the card to work again is by plugging it into an external charger otherwise if I reformat in the car it stops again after 3 seconds. It was installed new in a new car in May, and most of the time since it has not been working. I don't have an answer for you, but this is clearly something wrong with the device. I have never had an issue with nextbase before, but after this, I will not purchase another.

Perform as full, lengthy, format of the card using SDFormatter.

That has sorted quite a few problems in the past.

Cards do get corrupted

I find these nextbase cameras keep ****ing up. Keeps disconnecting when trying to extract video, time lapses and missing video

If this is disconnecting when offloading to a Windows PC, make sure the PC USB port isn't set to allow the port to go to sleep.

For some strange reason Microsoft set them to auto sleep by default.

If this is disconnecting when offloading to a Windows PC, make sure the PC USB port isn't set to allow the port to go to sleep.

For some strange reason Microsoft set them to auto sleep by default.
Sorry I should have put from camera to phone . That’s where my issue is. It keeps disconnecting. It won’t stay connected long enough for me to extract a video. I had a garmin Before, and it was the same thing would not stay connected. I don’t have a computer unfortunately.

Back