Nextbase and Power Magic Pro

Straightener

Reaction score
Country
United States
Curious if the Blackvue Power Magic Pro would play nice with the Nextbase? I am running into issues only a few days after installing and I am trying to troubleshoot. I have parking mode enabled, and after having my vehicle sit for less thank 24 hours, my dashcam was completely frozen and unresponsive this morning. I have it hardwired into my vehicle (2019 Ram 1500); the fuse tap I used activates with the ignition. Also utilizing the Nextbase memory card for what its worth. Hoping this is a simple issue, as this is not giving me a warm and fuzzy with my new (rather expensive) purchase...

From memory of previous posts on this, watch the voltage. I think the PMP pushes out 12v whilst the Nextbase only needs 5v.

Did you make any progress with resolving this? I've had the freeze (see my post) issue but I think it's when image stabilization is switched on (also had speed stamp turned off) vs factory settings. I've had this on 2 new units now, I performed a lot of controlled tests with my first unit running off a usb phone charger so I don't think power source is an issue and used the nextbase SD card.

Funny you mention this. I cleaned up my installation considerably. Had good performance for several days, then the camera locked up this morning. I DO have stabilization turned on. I have the same setup in my wife's car, but with factory defaults. No freezes or issues as of yet....

Factory defaults, stabilisation = off! Do me a favour and flip that over on your wife's and see if her's freezes :) I'm trying to engage support, and the more evidence this is an issue the better.

Ok - this is interesting. Camera went absolutely berserk Friday. Freeze after freeze after freeze. This is after I turned stabilization off. Did a full restore to factory defaults and did NOT pair back to my iPhone. Since then, rock solid. I am beginning to think this is a Bluetooth issue. With your freezing, are you paired up with a cellphone?

If it is then my age old thoughts that a dashcam should be just a dashcam with SDCard are confirming my suspicions.

Given the small size these units have to be then KISS comes to mind.

Ok - this is interesting. Camera went absolutely berserk Friday. Freeze after freeze after freeze. This is after I turned stabilization off. Did a full restore to factory defaults and did NOT pair back to my iPhone. Since then, rock solid. I am beginning to think this is a Bluetooth issue. With your freezing, are you paired up with a cellphone?
I did not pair to anything. On first run I just chose to skip pairing, only settings changed were stabilisation and speed stamp. Note I have now turned off stabilisation and no issues but this is not the fix. Also your factory default would disable stabilisation. Try enabling this single setting and see how things go.

Just to give an update, my struggles with this camera continue and I am running out of patience with Nextbase. I have been in contact with their support. I was using one of their memory cards, and they sent me a replacement, to no avail. I have had my camera set to factory defaults, not paired with my iphone, and each day it's a roll of the dice. Will the camera freeze at startup, after 5 minutes of driving, or will it actually function? Its anyone's guess at this point. Other family members are interested in dashcams, and Nextbase is quickly losing potential customers due to the issues with this camera.

Update from me, since my last post, still running solidly, no freezes (128gb nextbase SD). This is with image stabilization turned off. I fed back my detail to nextbase support 2nd line, and now a case is open with the developers. I've gone through 2 cams, 2 SDs and hours of testing to get to this point lol

I don't have or have never paired my device with a mobile. Can I confirm you are running the latest firmware R6.4 and image stabilization is off? Did you tweak any other settings since factory default?

Yes, latest firmware R6.4. Stabilization off. Haven’t touched any other settings. On the way home today camera worked. Out on errands am hour later and frozen with a black screen. I’m about to tell Nextbase they can keep this device and to return my money...

Which SD card are you using? Have you tried testing the power supply in your car (swap the cams over with your wife's into your car)

I was using a Nextbase SD card. Their support sent me an additional one to test out. Unit still didn't function correctly. They are now replacing the camera under warranty. We shall see what happens!

Erratic camera behavior are often related to power.
I would try any other means of power if you have it ( camera must have come with some power source )

I had my camera plugged into an Anker usb charger in the house when I was trouble shooting and literally left it recording day and night working through the settings to find out what was causing the hangs. Maybe worth trying something similar to see if power source related. Anyway I have had confirmation a fix is in the works for the stabilisation issue but you sound like you have another problem.

Back