Nextbase IQ

Didn't you know that "what makes the perfect image is not the lens, sensor or processor":

A search of Youtube doesn't turn up much footage of any kind.

Lmao it's the software is it.

Seems like they're trying to pull a google with what they did for years with the Pixel cameras. Where it was old image sensors but they actually eked out decent output.

Problem is, doesn't work that way for dash cams. Probably thought they could pull the wool over people's eyes , but it's starting to backfire now.

We are a relatively small community compared to dashcam ownership but we know what works, and doesn't, with dashcams

For me there are too many negatives for me to even look at it

Last edited:
Well i will agree with nextbase in as far as with software ( firmware ) if you just use the default the SOC maker give you, or tweak it to be even worse then yes
So there are indeed gains to be made in software, but then on the flip side if your hardware are antiquated stuff those gains will be limited in effect VS new hardware.

This morning Nextbase sent over some sample footage from their different models so that I could use it in an interview that we did together a little while back. I'm just skimming through things now and dropping some sample footage on the timeline to get this video wrapped up.

I've only got some daytime cloudy driving footage. Overall it looks like nothing particularly special, but that's just my initial impressions.

Here's a quick preview of what I'm working on. This is from a clip pulling up behind cars at a light:

Nextbase iQ 1K 2K 4K Comparison.jpg

and here's how that looks with the license plate zoom-ins:

Nextbase iQ 1K 2K 4K License Plate Comparison.jpg

And somehow Grace Jones popped into my mind ( pull up to the bumper )
But that happen often to me in gridlock traffic.

And i am in no way a Grace fan :)

Here's a quick preview of what I'm working on. This is from a clip pulling up behind cars at a light:
The 1K has the widest FoV? That seems the wrong way around, normally the 4K has the widest FoV, that is one reason for having a 4K!

The 2K and 4K have about the same number of pixels per licence plate? Not sure what is a result of your processing, I suspect something has been resized...

Makes it difficult to choose which one you want...

With the cloudy weather it is hard to judge the dynamic range, seems a reasonable image.

There is some noise from dash reflections, presumably due to no CPL.

The 1K has some colour noise in the road, as though it was too low bitrate.

The 4K has a magenta colour cast to the dark areas.

This morning Nextbase sent over some sample footage from their different models so that I could use it in an interview that we did together a little while back. I'm just skimming through things now and dropping some sample footage on the timeline to get this video wrapped up.

I've only got some daytime cloudy driving footage. Overall it looks like nothing particularly special, but that's just my initial impressions.

View attachment 69837

and here's how that looks with the license plate zoom-ins:

View attachment 69838
Nothing particularly special, hehe polite way of saying it's crap :p

Well if VR is in line to get a sample and actually see for himself, being a little diplomatis will not harm.
Personally i do prefer the unbridled in your face truth, one reason why Australia have such a place in my heart.

In terms of sample footage, all I have is two drives in cloudy weather. Nothing at night. Some of the footage is shakier than others. I'm not sure if it's due to the mount or what. Looking through things, again it doesn't seem like anything particularly standout, especially going down to the 2K or 1K models. When people start getting their own units in and can do some head-to-head comparisons with other models in different lighting conditions, that'll give us a much better idea.

When people start getting their own units in and can do some head-to-head comparisons with other models in different lighting conditions, that'll give us a much better idea.
Did you see:

Well if VR is in line to get a sample and actually see for himself, being a little diplomatis will not harm.
Personally i do prefer the unbridled in your face truth, one reason why Australia have such a place in my heart.
Well thats it, can't tell from a sample provided by a company themselves cos it's under their conditions controlled by them. Could be made to look better (or accidentally worse) by said company.

That being said, and with what odd footage we've seen making the rounds, I don't hold out much hope at all. If any.

Did you see:
Ah yeah, there it is! Thanks for the link. I was trying to find that thread before posting and didn't see it in the Nextbase section, lol, so I wound up posting it here. Would it make sense then to move my post and the followup comments over there?

Would it make sense then to move my post and the followup comments over there?
No, if they are here then people will be able to find them!

It might make sense to move that thread over here, but the thread is finished now because he returned it!

Come back soon! I used to not stand up, but now I don't beat around the bush. What has to be said has to be said! Haha

My issue with supplied sample footage is that it's always either almost stationary, as above, so no vibration, or moving, but on silky smooth roads

Neither demonstrate typical footage on typical urban roads that are often less than perfect. Of course manufacturers are going to supply their best footage.

My old Nextbase 412 was good on smooth motorways but on UK frequently patched and repaired 'streets' the vibration at circa 30mph was fairly obvious and that made reading number plates impossible at times.

When the 2 series was released I was sent some advance sample footage but it was on a carefully selected, newly resurfaced Caerphilly road and the vehicle never got above 20mph.

My issue with supplied sample footage is that it's always either almost stationary, as above, so no vibration, or moving, but on silky smooth roads

Neither demonstrate typical footage on typical urban roads that are often less than perfect. Of course manufacturers are going to supply their best footage.

My old Nextbase 412 was good on smooth motorways but on UK frequently patched and repaired 'streets' the vibration at circa 30mph was fairly obvious and that made reading number plates impossible at times.

When the 2 series was released I was sent some advance sample footage but it was on a carefully selected, newly resurfaced Caerphilly road and the vehicle never got above 20mph.
100% this. With reports of the iQ on here, being no longer available in some stores and with the video quality supplied by some users - I just feel like it's a disaster.

I could be wrong but not holding out hope.

In UK stores like Halfords you have very little choice. They stock and display 99% Nextbase and I would guess the majority of dashcam buyers will go to Halfords

Buyers will accept the shortcomings that we know can be solved by shopping around and viewing reviews here

Nextbase should have taken our posts into consideration after the unreliable 2 series, they did visit here regularly. They are capable of much better.

As many have said it does appear to be a bit of a disaster. As yet I’ve been unable to find any footage of the park safe features or how they work, the picture quality etc. From the units that where sent out for “field testing”, there was little or no constructive criticism or fault finding that I saw. That said, it. Is may well be that Nextbase did not want to hear.

In UK stores like Halfords you have very little choice. They stock and display 99% Nextbase and I would guess the majority of dashcam buyers will go to Halfords

Buyers will accept the shortcomings that we know can be solved by shopping around and viewing reviews here

Nextbase should have taken our posts into consideration after the unreliable 2 series, they did visit here regularly. They are capable of much better.

That's crazy that customers just don't have the choice for other products. Of course Nextbase won't care if they're raking in the profits, there's no incentive to make a good product

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cpo IQ 12
D IQ 36
Back