Nextbase OBD Power Cable Option

152bobby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 2CH 622GW/Nextbase 422GW/Thinkware F200 2 CH Pro
Does using this with a 622GW Front & Rear camera give all the exact same results as a full hardwire? Parking Mode etc ?

I just need to do it this way for a while.

Thanks

Does using this with a 622GW Front & Rear camera give all the exact same results as a full hardwire? Parking Mode etc ?

I just need to do it this way for a while.

Thanks
i would say yes. I was using cheap adapter bought on Amazon about 2 years without issue with old dashcam now im using Vantrue OBD adapter with new dashcam for about month and all good. Just check or set the cut -off voltage to not drain the battery

Last edited:
Just got my new car and waiting on the various bits to come from Nextbase to reinstall front and rear cameras, mainly the rear camera cable, sticky pads etc.
I do already have the Nextbase OBD cable and according to the Nextbase website, it does provide all the same functions as per using the hardwire kit option.
So I think I'm going to go the OBD wire kit option and see how it goes.

So, I connected up my 622GW using the Nextbase OBD wiring kit and it looks like it's working the way it was in my other car when it was hard wired. ( My new car is a Toyota Yaris Cross Hybrid).

Is there any settings I should change ? Someone mentioned set the cut off voltage so that it does not drain the battery, I cannot see this option in the dashcam settings. I don't want to come out the next day to find I have a flat battery.

So, I connected up my 622GW using the Nextbase OBD wiring kit and it looks like it's working the way it was in my other car when it was hard wired. ( My new car is a Toyota Yaris Cross Hybrid).

Is there any settings I should change ? Someone mentioned set the cut off voltage so that it does not drain the battery, I cannot see this option in the dashcam settings. I don't want to come out the next day to find I have a flat battery.
Hi it should be written in the manual how to use it. Maybe it has automatic cut off voltage or you need to set threshold manually in the dashcam menu if the OBD hasn't got manual voltage selector

This is from the description on the their website :*NOTE - Intelligent Parking Mode must be enabled when the Dash Cam is powered using the Series 2 OBD Hardwire Kit. It seems that if the dashcam detects low battery voltage it will turn off itself

It only comes with a small leaflet with not much on it, but it does say low battery protection 11V for 12V vehicles.

I've timed when the screen goes off on the dashcam after I leave the car and it's about 5 minutes !! The little blue light on the left of the screen stays on. It didn't stay on that long when it was hardwired in on my other car...is this normal ?

This is from the description on the their website :*NOTE - Intelligent Parking Mode must be enabled when the Dash Cam is powered using the Series 2 OBD Hardwire Kit.

It only comes with a small leaflet with not much on it, but it does say low battery protection 11V for 12V vehicles.

I've timed when the screen goes off on the dashcam after I leave the car and it's about 5 minutes !! The little blue light on the left of the screen stays on. It didn't stay on that long when it was hardwired in on my other car...is this normal ?
11V is too low im pretty sure it will monitor around 12V. Just enable intelligent parking mode first. It says intelligent mode so why worry :)

Hmm, I'm not convinced, but it's all up and running and I have a portable battery booster should I need it in the morning

Hmm, I'm not convinced, but it's all up and running and I have a portable battery booster should I need it in the morning
that's the spirit:D . If you enabled intelligent parking mode it should be fine. If you want to be sure you might ask the customer service at what lowest battery voltage the dashcam will turn off. Depends on the vehicle but i think anything lower than 11,8V wouldn't be good mainly in the winter

There's no Intelligent parking mode anywhere in the settings !! I locked ALL the user settings in the dashcam before transferring it to my new car, so I've changed nothing !! However, I think I will just run a few questions past the Nextbase people !!
In regards to type of vehicle I guess a lot of people have petrol hybrids !!
And it CLEARLY states on the Nextbase website, ITS PLUG AND PLAY!!

There's no Intelligent parking mode anywhere in the settings !! I locked ALL the user settings in the dashcam before transferring it to my new car, so I've changed nothing !! However, I think I will just run a few questions past the Nextbase people !!
In regards to type of vehicle I guess a lot of people have petrol hybrids !!
definitely contact them. They claim that this OBD kit is compatible with all their dashcams

Yes, it definitely lists the 622GW. I'll pop them a email now.

What happens if I do not have the parking mode enabled using this odb wiring kit ?
I presume the parking mode will not function, but it will function in all other ways ?

I do like Parking Mode, but the more I research using this cable, I get more doubt that it will flatten the battery !!

What happens if I do not have the parking mode enabled using this odb wiring kit ?
I presume the parking mode will not function, but it will function in all other ways ?

I do like Parking Mode, but the more I research using this cable, I get more doubt that it will flatten the battery !!
if you disable the parking mode the dashcam should powered off about 5mins. after you turn off the engine.
It shouldn't flatten the battery OBD kits are long time on the market and i hope Nextbase made a good one. Just ask them at what lowest battery voltage will the OBD kit turn off the dashcam to prevent to drain battery

I'm just thinking about a dash cam battery pack option. I don't think Nextbase actually do one !!!
Is there anyone on this forum using a battery pack with their Nextbase dashcam ? So that I can look at that option.

Back