Nice guy removes Nails(2015) & Ladder(2014) from the road.

This guy is crazy for stopping on the highway like that to help others for free. Its pretty dangerous out there.

I didn't like the way the Suburban started to pull forward with the good Samaritan still positioned between the truck and the wall - he couldn't wait until he got out of the way? Then into busy traffic lanes without getting up to speed and boom! No surprise. :eek::mad:

What is that white car? Can't make it out?

I ran over a box of nails once in the road, 25 years ago, near Nashville.
I can still see it in my memory in slow motion.

2 cars ahead of me was a pickup hauling an open trailer, and then a Camaro, right in front of me. I saw a cardboard box blow or bounce off of the trailer. My first thought was it was empty. The camaro ran over it, broke it open, and as it exited from under the Camaro, it broke open, showering what turned out to be roofing nails all over the road.
I'm talking a perfect fan pattern.

I couldn't miss them. I pulled off the road as gently as possible, and pulled 40 plus nails out of the tires on my tractor and trailer. I still had three flat tires. Of course, the pickup and trailer never stopped.

Ladders? see them all the time. Usually somebody stops to pick them up if they haven't been mangled, yet.

I always see at least one Sofa on I-285 around Atlanta, also.

i've helped a few folks before. the one i remember most was an old lady in an avalon with a completely shredded rear tire. i was on my way home from work as a mechanic - still had my dirty, sweaty uniform on. she said she was waiting for AAA and that it would be a few hours. i said that's crazy, it's 110 degrees out here, i can change it in 5 minutes. she was hesitant at first, but it probably helped that my uniform said toyota on it, and that i told her to stay in the car with the a/c on - i could do everything as long as she just popped the trunk from inside. thankfully there was a nice wide apron of concrete where she'd stopped; the state was planning on building an exit there in the future but hadn't started that yet. it gave us a good 15 feet of empty pavement between the side of the car and the traffic going by at 75mph. as i finished putting the flat and tools back into her trunk, she asked me what she owed me and when i said nothing, she forced a $20 bill into my shirt pocket and said "at least get yourself a cold drink!"

another guy in a suburban dropped a driveshaft right in front of me, in the middle of nowhere, again on a hot day. lucky for him it was the tail end of the driveshaft, not the front end, so it just dragged along, chunking the pavement (throwing rocks at me), and he calmly pulled over to the shoulder. i gave him a ride to the next town, 10 miles up the road and gave him a few bucks for a drink and to make phone calls (this was before everyone had cell phones).

times are different now though, and people will sue if you try to help them, or worse - fake needing help and mug/kill you instead. so i rarely stop to help anymore unless it's pretty obvious that it's not a scam (like the driveshaft guy) - usually because i saw the problem actually happen.

I've pulled a ladder out of the fast lane before. It was pretty scary doing that, even with a wide shoulder beside me. Being a motorcycle rider at the time, I was pretty sensitive to how crap-tacular it would be to come up on a 6-8 foot aluminum ladder laying in the roadway while travelling at freeway speeds and I decided to get it off the roadway. I like using the Waze app now, you can alert other drivers.

I like the idea of notifications in waze but I've tried using it for turn by turn navigation and it tried sending me on some very weird routes... As if there was a roadblock or missing section of road it was trying to send me around. I ignored its weird directions and it was very persistent about trying to get me off the main road till finally after about 3 miles it gave up and let me stay on the same road without nagging me.

And then when it did get to the turn I really needed to take, it didn't notify me till about 5 feet before the turn, so I missed the turn.

Maybe if I don't set a destination and just have it running during my normal drives, it could be useful I guess, but not during a drive somewhere I am unfamiliar with.

...I like using the Waze app now, you can alert other drivers.
That's only useful for other Waze users which the vast majority of drivers are not. I know I tried it a while back and found it to be more distracting than beneficial.

It is allways the fjew that have to clean up after the many.
And this guy is taking some risks to clean up the mess some one else made, i wouldent do that, but here we have a phone number we can call and then ppl come and clean up, and if need be close lanes to do it.

It is amasing how many ppl drive around with stuff in the back of ther pickup or on a trailer, and dont have the damm things secured in some way.

I am however proud to be wearing the same hat as this guy, though i have my brim set up in a slightly other way, it make me proud :) so from here thumbs up to the old guy.

If I see debris like that on freeway, I'm not stupid to get out and clean the road.
Hell no.
I've read too many news where drivers are killed when they get out on the highways.

I did call 911 few times for these:
A big piece (half with door handle) of a wooden door in middle lane.
A 6 foot ladder like in the video above.
A mattress. One lady died few months before when her car ran over a mattress and landed in a ditch so when I saw the mattress in the highway, I immediately called 911.

In all calls, 911 operator said they are sending road crews and two of them were already called in by others as well.

Last edited:
Heard of one where someone ran over a mattress and it got stuck under the car and caught fire from the heat of the exhaust system. Everyone got out OK but the car burned to the ground.

How can you not notice something they big coming off your truck or trailer, esp something expensive like a ladder or mattress? My fiberglass 24 ft extension ladder was $300! You better believe I strap that thing down when I have to transport it!

Back