Nice thunderstorm and lightning recording.

46 C ?
Still i would have been out on the porch with a "brewskie" in my hand enjoying the spectacle of nature.

This is my car trying to camouflage itself as a Popsicle this morning.
We are in for a week or so of negative temperatures with the nighttime ones probably dropping as low as -20 C
192.168.0.5_CAM 1_main_20180223054852.jpg

Meanwhile the very top of Greenland way above the arctic circle have seen + temperatures, only a few of course, but its supposed to average about -30 up there this time of the year

Thats more like it, at least for a few years, if you have lived a lifetime with that it might get a bit too much.
And also the times i have worked in such temperatures and even higher in a ship engine room, then you got to remember i was not working every minute of the hour, that's pretty much not possible.
When you are in a place where the sweat evaporate as soon as it get out of you ( ship smoke stack in a warm place ) then what you have to do up there better not take more than a few minutes to do, cuz that warm are really uncomfortable.

The written forecast dont seem to match what they say on TV ( same people ) but that level of incompetence are normal, and weather change every 2 hours as they run a new simulation on the computers.
Screenshot_20180223-175951[1].png

Dont ask how the hell my screen gram get that large, its just a 1080p screen on my phone.

I would give my left nutt to be in Cairns now and the rest of my life. maybe my pension if i could bring it with me down there wont go far, but at least i would die warm and happy.

Last edited:
Nice storm indeed :D Dunno who was further out underneath that but I'm sure they found it even more exciting :eek:

Phil

Had a few of those roll through Melbourne this year ..
Seems to be a corridor the storms follow , kind of glad we are not in one of them .

At least they come with water too, so no dry lightning strike setting fire to my adopted home country, i always dislike when the big bush fires are there.

There can indeed be 'corridors' that storms normally follow. 5 miles south, 5 miles north, 5 miles east, and 2 miles west from me regularly get severe thunderstorms and tornadoes, but in between here seems to be nearly immune to the worst of that. The affected areas around me all get nailed by existing storms coming from the SW so you can usually predict them well ahead of time (corridors) ;) Last summer was an anomaly though, with many systems moving in from the NE which nobody can remember being a pattern here before. As a certified Storm Spotter I do keep up with such things though I'm not as active in the network as I once was.

Nature is awesome to watch but can become deadly in an instant :eek: "When thunder roars, get indoors" is good advice as lightning can travel 15+ miles from it's source laterally. I've felt the electrical jolt from 4 nearby lightning strikes so far and for me it's the scariest of all- no real warning and not a lot you can do to protect against it o_O Nice to watch it on video's though :cool:

Phil

I am always careful with lightning and prefer to watch from a car, i had a lightning strike hit the ground 20 M or so away from me when i was a kid, and hit a place where we played just before we retreated due to rain.
Quite a few fishing trips have been cut short due to imminent lightning, and i am not standing there in the water with a IM6 carbon fiber rod in my hands.

The most lightning struck place here in Denmark are down in southern Jutland on the west coast near a city called Esbjerg, there are also another place north of Horsens town on the E45 motorway that have a reputation, but i think its more to the fact that right there you will find some of the tallest "mountains" in Denmark already on what are known as the mid Jutland ridge that's on average som 60 - 70 M above sea level.

i enjoyed racing in the rain - it was an extra challenge as it made my 100 hp car feel like it had 3x that much power. plus it really cut down on tire wear. the only time we called it off was if there was thunder/lightning nearby - just like what they do at the swimming pool.

Back