Night. B40 / A118 vs Street Guardian SG9665GC ( Aptina AR0330 vs Sony Exmor IMX322 )

Thanks for the nighttime comparisons Niko. What about daytime? Is there a similar difference?
If you look at daytime video of all the dashcams mentioned in this forum, there isn't much difference in video quality between many of them. The main difference comes in when the light starts to decrease, the premium quality dashcams start to shine.

Edit: I see you own an A118/B40. If you mainly drive at daytime, then you can just stick with your current dashcam as it is rated to have Very Good daytime video.

Sigh, the reality is not everyone can afford the best in the world, otherwise almost everyone would like to live in a mansion, drive a Mercedes Benz S-class, own a large cruise boat and a private jet.

Don't think the cost of a good quality dashcam ( eg. AUD 298.00) equates to the cost of a mansion, Benz S-class, large cruise boat or private jet.o_O

However, if I am involved in an accident that isn't my fault then I do want a dashcam that produces quality video, both day and night, that can be used to resolve any disputes that may arise, either with an insurance company or in court. The excess on my car insurance policy is $400.00, which is more than the cost of the SG9665GC.:)

Thanks for the nighttime comparisons Niko. What about daytime? Is there a similar difference?

Yes, there is a difference at day time as well due to higher quality lens used on SG9665GC.
I can say that B40 / A118 is quite good at day time for the price you pay. Colours reproduction, AWB, EV etc. is almost close, but sharpness and FOV is better on SG due to more expensive lens ( 7 layer ) and slightly narrower FOV. I will post comparison soon.

Basic excess with most insurers now is $800

Yes, I forgot that I elected to increase my excess to $1,000 as I figured that it wasn't worth losing my 60% No Claim Bonus for any repairs under $1,000.

GC Night is very impressive

Sorry Pier28, I don't mean it to be an offence to you, but I think sometimes you have to refrain from praising products too often in this forum that you also sell from your shop/online shop. I have read good feedback from other members who have bought dash cams from you, just that I feel if you keep posting comments such as "Street Guardian looks great" or "Panorama looks impressive", even though they are the truth, other members may start getting the impression you only say that to advertise the dash cams you sell. Just my opinion that's all, sorry if I sound harsh here.

Sorry Pier28, I don't mean it to be an offence to you, but I think sometimes you have to refrain from praising products too often

Having pride, faith and loyalty in your products is a good thing to have. Also backing it up in real time and real life makes these guys exceptional. And one would suspect that even Pier28 is taken aback when he sees what these devices are capable of. This is a great forum for Dash Cams in what is a growing market and people can make up their own minds on what they read.

This is the best good vibe I've had about a new product and I'm just really excited. I live eat and breath dashcams lately and this forum is my one of my main forms of communication. I'm very fair, honest and even recommend other sellers and or other people's products when it's a better fit for someone asking for opinions. I like to follow Niko and Jokiin's lead to be as unbiased as possible. I'm really impressed with all the side by side work Niko does. I'm part of the global team effort. I was quite the DashCam enthusiast before I got into the Biz. You can view my post history as it goes way way back. I'm not sure what else to say. I'm definitely not spamming the whole site with direct links like some of the China sellers do on here.

Last edited:
This is the best good vibe I've had about a new product and I'm just really excited. I live eat and breath dashcams lately and this forum is my one of my main forms of communication. I'm very fair, honest and even recommend other sellers and or other people's products when it's a better fit for someone asking for opinions. I like to follow Niko and Joiin's lead to be as unbiased as possible. I'm really impressed with all the side by side work Niko does. I was quite the DashCam enthusiast before I got into the Biz. You can view my post history as it goes way way back. I'm not sure what else to say. I'm definitely not spamming the whole site with direct links like some of the China sellers do on here.

I am sorry, Pier28 but this post of yours just doesn't pass the sniff test.

You know, personally, I like you very much and have come to think of you as one of my DCT friends. In the future, if and when I decide to buy a Panorama or StreetGuardian, or whatever, I will be more than happy to become one of your customers and look forward to it.

On the other hand, @efoo has a point. You have been one of the most self promotional vendors on this forum and you never hesitate to offer praise or recommendations for products you sell. When new members show up in the "What should I buy?" forum and elsewhere you jump right in to suggest or praise one of your own items. How can you call yourself "unbiased"? Additionally, before the practice of posting direct links to products vendors sell was recently banned by DashCamMan, you were probably the most prolific link spammer on these boards and in fact your practice of doing so was one of the things that led to the ban because no other vendor engaged in the practice quite as much as you. I am aware that some members complained about this and it bugged me as well. For you to say, "I'm definitely not spamming the whole site with direct links like some of the China sellers do on here.", seems a bit disingenuous. In addition, as a former "civilian" regular member who made the transition to vendor status, you have often more or less abused your position on this forum by stepping over the line of self promotion in a way that no other vendor here has ever dared or could hope to get away with.

As far as describing yourself as "very fair and honest" I have no doubt that this is true, but in my view, as a vendor here that is an observation perhaps best left to others.

As I type this missive, I've been quite hesitant to hit the "Post Reply" button and have considered deleting my thoughts without sending them because I am not interested in creating conflict, insulting anyone or otherwise causing friction or bad feelings but the needle on my BS meter got pinned by your post and I feel compelled to speak up.

Last edited:
Sigh, the reality is not everyone can afford the best in the world, otherwise almost everyone would like to live in a mansion, drive a Mercedes Benz S-class, own a large cruise boat and a private jet.

I have just (nearly!) one of those:rolleyes:

you have often more or less abused your position on this forum by stepping over the line of self promotion in a way that no other vendor here has ever dared or could hope to get away with.

I can't say that I have noticed this, and it is not something that has ever bothered me. What does bother me is the rabid Mobius mob who can't wait drop that name at every opportunity that comes along whether relevant or not.

I can't say that I have noticed this, and it is not something that has ever bothered me. What does bother me is the rabid Mobius mob who can't wait drop that name at every opportunity that comes along whether relevant or not.

Interesting that you would make an allegation like that in reference to a post that never once mentions the Mobius. Either way, no one in the alleged "rabid Mobius mob" you refer to is in the business of selling them.

First video is compilation from long 15min night test drive, to show scenes with very little or no street lights.

Top: Street Guardian SG9665GC. FW: SG20150210.002. SONY EXMOR IMX322 CMOS
Bottom: Tiesfong B40 / A118. FW: 20141204. Aptina AR0330 CMOS
Sound ( Microphone ) is from SG9665GC

Next video is full length of 15min Night test drive

Individual videos

Niko,

What software did you use to create the composite (top/bottom) videos in the first two examples? Thanks in advance.

Niko,

What software did you use to create the composite (top/bottom) videos in the first two examples? Thanks in advance.

AVS4YOU Video Editor, - it cost something like 59$ unlimited and you get 12 different usefull software, incl. Video Eidtor.

I usually go to download some "freebies" using torrents, but for this package deal I was ready to pay and very happy with purchase. Quite easy to use ( user-friendly ).

AVS4YOU® Featured Software

AVS Audio Converter
Convert audio between various formats: WAV, PCM, MP3, WMA, OGG, AAC, M4A, AMR and others. Add text information to your audio files.
Download now | Features overview

AVS Audio Editor
Edit your audio collection, record audio data, convert between all popular audio formats, apply effects and filters.

AVS Image Converter
Convert piles of images to all key formats at one go! Make quick adjustments - resize, rotate, apply auto-correction settings. Select between a number of effects. Get your pictures ready to be printed or uploaded to websites!

AVS Video ReMaker
Edit video files without reconversion. Cut unwanted scenes from videos recorded with various PVR, DVR & DVD camcorders. Insert DVD and Blu-ray menus.

AVS Media Player
Play video and audio files on your computer. All video formats are supported: MPEG-4 (DivX, Xvid, etc.), MPEG-1,2, AVI, RM, Quick Time, WMV, H.263, H.264, 3GP, 3GP2, MP4.

AVS Disc Creator
Make backup copies of your home Blu-ray, CD/DVD discs, restore a DVD-Video disc, create ISO files, burn data discs.

AVS Registry Cleaner
Scan, clean and repair the Windows registry of your PC. Remove old, unused or unwanted items from the registry. Make your PC safer and faster.

AVS Document Converter
Convert documents between various formats. Work with the text files and images without any additional graphics-, or editing software.

AVS Photo Editor
Improve your photos - adjust size, zoom, change and improve colors, sharpen objects shapes. Apply pre-made effects. Make your photos look perfect. Work smoothly with AVS Photo Editor – an easy tool for photo editing!

AVS Video Converter
Convert video to ALL KEY FORMATS with AVS Video Converter. Create HD-, Blu-ray videos with enhanced menus. Сonvert files for various devices and upload videos on popular websites directly from the program interface.

AVS Video Editor
Edit your video recordings and make your own movie with a few simple drag-and-drops. Enhance your videos with effects, menus and audio, so that they have a professional look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Both dashcam models have their firmware updated since my last test, so I have made comparison test again.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

VIDEOS

Bottom: Street Guardian SG9665GC. FW: SG20150526.002. SONY EXMOR IMX322 CMOS
Top: B40/A118 FW: A118.20150403. Aptina AR0330 CMOS
Sound ( Microphone ) is from SG9665GC

Short Clip

Full length Clip

Individual videos

B40 / A118

Street Guardian SG9665GC