vxlomegav6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Transcend DP200, DP220
mate of mine reckons its a R34 model..

Anyway here's the video.

Didn't have the rear cam at the time unfortunately.

When I first got over here and travelled on the highways I saw this soft of "overtaking"; scared the $hit out of me the first time. I have gotten used to it and as I have come to see it is the "norm" here. There are so many older slower vehicles and they all pull over to the side of the road as much as they can to let others pass. I even do it myself now when I am not in a hurry.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. The road was plenty wide enough, he saw an opportunity and went for it. The advanced driving course teaches you to never miss a safe opportunity to overtake.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. The road was plenty wide enough, he saw an opportunity and went for it. The advanced driving course teaches you to never miss a safe opportunity to overtake.

Sorry, have to disagree there. This was dangerous, the main reason being - he was over the centre line with oncoming traffic. Also there is no one 'Advanced Driving Course' and I'm pretty sure they still insist on safety. Just my $0.02

i think error7 was referring to a racecourse advanced driving course. which does not apply to public roads. mainly because on a racecourse, everyone is going the same direction, so there's basically zero chance of a head-on collission.

meanwhile this yahoo in the skyline crossed the centerline (which isn't there just to make the road look pretty), forced the car he was passing onto the shoulder, and forced the camera car on to the shoulder. thankfully there WAS a shoulder to dive into. if there hadn't been, there would have been an ugly crash.

i think error7 was referring to a racecourse advanced driving course. which does not apply to public roads. mainly because on a racecourse, everyone is going the same direction, so there's basically zero chance of a head-on collission.

meanwhile this yahoo in the skyline crossed the centerline (which isn't there just to make the road look pretty), forced the car he was passing onto the shoulder, and forced the camera car on to the shoulder. thankfully there WAS a shoulder to dive into. if there hadn't been, there would have been an ugly crash.
Ahh, thanks for explaining that, I was wondering what sort of advanced course it was!

In some countries this is reasonably safe because people expect it, but not in the UK, the oncoming traffic here does not expect it and often will not even consider moving over to make space. A lot of our roads which do have reasonable space for doing this now have painted areas down the middle disallowing overtaking due to the significant numbers of deaths it has caused.

As you can see it already looks like the Nissan has overtaken the 2 cars behind, The Red Audi being fairly close to the edge.

Could feel a kinda suction pull then push away as the Nissan was passing by, Which takes some doing seen as my car is over 2 tons & rather low saloon, Possibly could have been a different story in a light tall car (like say a Vauxhall Agila)

I'll also add that I had my lights on (stock HIDs) which should be more than easy to notice coming your way, Why he continued to force his way through is beyond me, For the thrill of it no doubt, In that case go on a track.

Also noticed the cars behind me where also having to take avoiding action against this Nissan driver, It's typical its the only day in months I haven't had a rear cam fitted.

forced the car he was passing onto the shoulder, and forced the camera car on to the shoulder.
If that is what you saw then that explains why you thought it was a dangerous overtake. The red Honda that he was passing didn't deviate from the straight line and was certainly nowhere near the shoulder. The camera car did move over a bit but didn't go onto the shoulder. The centre line is dotted which in the UK means it is legal to overtake if it is safe to do so. In my opinion it was safe for him to overtake at that point. Furthermore, that particular A road is very wide at that point, much wider than the majority of single carriage A roads in the UK and previously would have had a middle lane which could be used by traffic moving in either direction. That was dangerous.

If that is what you saw then that explains why you thought it was a dangerous overtake. The red Honda that he was passing didn't deviate from the straight line and was certainly nowhere near the shoulder. The camera car did move over a bit but didn't go onto the shoulder. The centre line is dotted which in the UK means it is legal to overtake if it is safe to do so. In my opinion it was safe for him to overtake at that point. Furthermore, that particular A road is very wide at that point, much wider than the majority of single carriage A roads in the UK and previously would have had a middle lane which could be used by traffic moving in either direction. That was dangerous.

Let me get this right...

So basically you are saying it's okay to break the speed limit to overtake recklessly even though you know full well that there are oncoming traffic and cars in front of you so you potentially would be forcing the Honda to slow to let you back or continue forcing oncoming traffic to take avoiding action putting needless lives in danger if you just go for it and overtake everyone in front in one run, Which he/she did the latter, For what?...

Yes the paint on the road indicates you may overtake granted, But who in their right minds if they see oncoming traffic do they decide to go ahead with it... There where also two cars behind me that I could see... So the Nissan driver had to avoid all three also overtaking that car in front of the Honda.

By the way not long behind me there's a corner..

Was he breaking the speed limit or was he just overtaking drivers who were driving like Lemmings? All I'm saying is that the way I see it he wasn't doing anything wrong.

The road between Ilkley and Otley is like that on one section - it's really wide and so a lot of people just pull towards the side of the road and then whoever wants to overtake can overtake. Sometimes safely and other times with complete disregard for anyone.

That was why I got a dashcam originally as someone in one of those massive Mercs couldn't get past and then tried to push us off the road at the next section which was a normal road width.

I'm a big fan of the Skylines, Supras and Aristos though - I wish I'd had a dashcam back in those days as I would have had some awesome footage!

It's like that line from Spiderman though - with great power comes great responsibility. Unfortunately lots of the nice old cars are now written off after people couldn't drive them in the wet!

there are plenty of wide 2-lane roads like that in the states, too. LOADS of straight, flat, amazingly boring roads in Texas. if someone wants to pass, most people will move onto the shoulder to allow them to pass without crossing the center line. you just have to watch out to make sure there's not a tractor or something doing 10 mph on the shoulder. at least they have sense enough to NOT drive in the main lane when the speed limit is 50-75mph.

i'm with you rev, on the recently-deceased japanese sports cars. my first track day event was with the supra club back in 2000. they didn't mind me driving my bone stock v6 camry automatic. they only minded a little bit when i came back the next year with a supercharger fitted to the same car and was then able to PASS a few supras on the track because their drivers were too timid. :D

Was he breaking the speed limit or was he just overtaking drivers who were driving like Lemmings? All I'm saying is that the way I see it he wasn't doing anything wrong.

He was over the centerline when oncoming traffic was present; he's in the wrong. Doesn't matter if the drivers in front of him were slow or not-- he can't cross the centerline when there's oncoming traffic.

He was over the centerline when oncoming traffic was present; he's in the wrong. Doesn't matter if the drivers in front of him were slow or not-- he can't cross the centerline when there's oncoming traffic.

Nicely put M---

That's wrong.
It is a one lane road each way so he should never cross over the middle line when there is another car coming from the opposite direction.

That looked bad and it is bad.

That's wrong.
It is a one lane road each way so he should never cross over the middle line when there is another car coming from the opposite direction.

That may be true in the U.S. of A. but not in the U.K.

In the UK if the centre line is broken you are allowed to overtake - it doesn't mean it's automatically safe though.

I don't think many UK people will agree with you! Can you point to the relevant page in the Highway Code that allows you to overtake with oncoming traffic?

A dotted centre line means you give way to oncoming traffic, not force it to give way to you.

Not sure about UK rules but here, dotted lines means you are allowed to pass when the passing lane is empty, not when there is traffic.
You can not create additional lane just because the road is wide enough.

Back