No automatic switching card when 1 is full

Firmware should be released when its tested and ready, not because of what day of the week it is, not sure how they came up with that idea
If you are in IT, usually Friday is the code release day. ;)
That's a way to control random requests to migrate changes to production.
But you are right, it doesn't make sense here as that rule is mostly for internal migration.

Firmware should be released when its tested and ready, not because of what day of the week it is, not sure how they came up with that idea
When it was still in the debug stage with lots of things being changed, having a release to test only once a week was a very good idea and Friday was a good day as we could play with it at the weekend.

Any progress or news from the firmware development? The last firmware is already almost 2 months old.

At a wild guess effort is concentrated on the parking guard mount at the moment

I have exactly the same issue, an update from the manufacturer would be nice...

I always find firmware works fine regardless on a Friday I really don't know what you're complaining about...now if it is released on a Monday that is a completely different ball game...

Cheers,

JooVuu

Yep - 2 months since the last firmware update and the 2 card auto switch is still not working, which is one of the major selling points of the camera!

Yep - 2 months since the last firmware update and the 2 card auto switch is still not working, which is one of the major selling points of the camera!

I totally agree with you because my 2nd generation 0806 doesn't record on the second card and the two card facility was one of the major reasons for me buying the more expensive 0806 instead of the less expensive 0805, or even cheaper 0801 dash cam, and if this problem isn't fixed pretty soon will be the major reason for returning it!

I can't believe QC didn't bother to check whether two cards would be recorded to!!!

So it's either a firmware update to allow recording to both SD cards or a 0806 camera replacement...

I totally agree with you because my 2nd generation 0806 doesn't record on the second card and the two card facility was one of the major reasons for me buying the more expensive 0806 instead of the less expensive 0805, or even cheaper 0801 dash cam, and if this problem isn't fixed pretty soon will be the major reason for returning it!

I can't believe QC didn't bother to check whether two cards would be recorded to!!!

So it's either a firmware update to allow recording to both SD cards or a 0806 camera replacement...
Me too

Guys, can we have an update here please? I and many other users are awaiting desperately for the new firmware with the bug fix to be released.

Thanks!

The can do actually switch automatically to slot A when B is full but will still always start the recordings on slot B !

so it's working but not as you and a lot of users would like to... It is actually working as if slot B was "main" and A was "backup" or "exchange/giveable"

Correcting this can bother customers who use this behavior and yield to other problems like filenamings which was programmed by the chip manufacturer !

So it was announced to be corrected but let them the time to correct it the right way... It is not as easy as it seems ;)

so it's working but not as you and a lot of users would like to... It is actually working as if slot B was "main" and A was "backup" or "exchange/giveable"
Slot B is the slot that you want to use as the normal slot for recording since it is the one on the bottom and easily accessible, removing the card from slot A on the top is much more difficult so that should be the backup/reserve card.

If you want to record a journey, it does make some sense to start on the easily accessible slot and only switch to the reserve card when the first is full which is what it does. However that doesn't actually work since nobody is going to drive far en0ugh in one go to fill a decent size card. Maybe it was designed and tested assuming that the camera was permanently powered in which case it works as expected. Personally I prefer to always record on slot B and automatically use slot A when B is not working because it is corrupt/dead/forgotten and sitting in a computer.

I can't see any good reason for using two 32GB cards instead of one 64GB card, you will not get a better lifespan and the 64GB card should work out cheaper.

Until the card fails/break. I rather replace 1 32gb card than 1 64gb card

Until the card fails/break. I rather replace 1 32gb card than 1 64gb card
If you are using decent cards then a 64GB card should have twice the lifespan of a 32GB card and is normally cheaper than two 32GB cards, the larger card should be the better investment long term.

If you are using decent cards then a 64GB card should have twice the lifespan of a 32GB card and is normally cheaper than two 32GB cards, the larger card should be the better investment long term.
That's not a solution to the problem mentioned here.
What if I have two 64gb or two 128gb drives?
The whole point of having SD card is to store videos up to their limit.

Think if you only have one 64 card that only writes on half all the time with the other half only working when you continuously drive to fill the 1st half first.
If that 32gb is not enough, do you go buy a 128gb card so you can utilize 64gb half???

I assume this firmware update went nowhere...

The can do actually switch automatically to slot A when B is full but will still always start the recordings on slot B !

No it doesn't automatically switch to slot A when the card in B is full, I've been using my 0806 for several weeks now and the 64GB card in slot B is looping round when full and recording over the earliest footage as expected if it was a single card unit, but the 2nd 64GB card in slot A remains empty, so the camera is definitely not switching to slot A when B is full.

Just a thought now, has anyone (Nigel) ever set the unit so that it doesn't automatically loop round, just to see if the system does indeed start recording onto the card in slot A when the card in slot B is full?

BTW, I'm with Nigel with his comment over the 64GB being the preferable option to using 2x 32GB cards because SD cards have a finite number of re-write times so the 64GB will obviously last a lot longer but don't cost double the price.

It does switch to slot A only if slot B is filled the complete 64GB in one go. If the card is filled e.g. 63GB and you start a new recording session first the remaining 1 GB is filled/recorded and then the previous recorded 63GB is overwritten and then and only then the recording is switched to card A.
As soon the recording is stopped all starts from scratch on card B, so for a 64 GB card a recording session must be at least > 7-8 hours before the A card is used for recording.

Another thing I was wondering about is the filenaming, why not use the system which most of the digital photocamera's are using, using unique numbers regardless if the card is fresh formatted or not. Starting at AMBA0001.mov till AMBA9999.mov, the next series recording could be AMBB0001 - AMBB9999, AMBC0001 etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Mini 0806 2
X Mini 0806 9
Back