Noisy video quality

Rleon83

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Recently bought a A129 Pro Duo + CPL (Front) thanks to the suggestions/reviews here.

But after installing it, the video seems a bit noisy. If I try to zoom and try to identify license plate on cars parked on the side, it's a blurry mess.

Is this expected or is there a way to improve video quality?

Current settings
Res: 4k 30fps @ Front + 1080 30fps @ Rear
Bitrate: High
Mic: Off
WDR: On
CPL: Front only
Firmware: V2.8_0308

Or should I swap this for A129 Plus duo?

Is this expected or is there a way to improve video quality?
For the parked cars, the main issue is motion blur due to low light, not sure why its low light given the time of day and time of year, but cars do have lights on and they do look bright as though it is low light.

Second issue is that the bitrate is a little low for 4K when under trees, and that is causing some blurring of detail in patches (pixelation). Try increasing the bitrate to Maximum and see what difference it makes, may only be noticable when under trees, and it tends to be unimportant information that gets lost first, so you may want to turn to back down again for longer record times after seeing the difference.

Third issue, close objects don't seem to be well focused, but I'm not sure about that from this video. To check the focus, plug the camera into a USB powerbank, take it outside the car so that the glass isn't in the way and record something with detail from close up to distance while the camera is still, then we can have a proper look at the focus.

Overall, yes that is normal for low light recording, more bitrate will help, the motion blur will be there on any dashcam although some 2K ones will be a little better, and it will disappear with better lighting. Not sure about the focus.

That recording you posted, is it the original file, or is it somehow post-processed? The compression on it is crazy, it definitely must not look like that.

That recording you posted, is it the original file, or is it somehow post-processed? The compression on it is crazy, it definitely must not look like that.
You need to download it to see original quality...

Right, thanks, did not realize it plays it back for you compressed even though from an original file.
It still looks a bit off to me, mostly blurred on the sides.

As you suggested, bitrate to max every time, and I would also suggest 21:9 ratio, that will squeeze yet a little bit more bitrate out of it.

For the parked cars, the main issue is motion blur due to low light, not sure why its low light given the time of day and time of year, but cars do have lights on and they do look bright as though it is low light.

Second issue is that the bitrate is a little low for 4K when under trees, and that is causing some blurring of detail in patches (pixelation). Try increasing the bitrate to Maximum and see what difference it makes, may only be noticable when under trees, and it tends to be unimportant information that gets lost first, so you may want to turn to back down again for longer record times after seeing the difference.

Third issue, close objects don't seem to be well focused, but I'm not sure about that from this video. To check the focus, plug the camera into a USB powerbank, take it outside the car so that the glass isn't in the way and record something with detail from close up to distance while the camera is still, then we can have a proper look at the focus.

Overall, yes that is normal for low light recording, more bitrate will help, the motion blur will be there on any dashcam although some 2K ones will be a little better, and it will disappear with better lighting. Not sure about the focus.
Hi Nigel,
Appreciate your advice. I've increased the bitrate to Maximum and will give it a try. Didn't you know you could power the dash cam using a power bank. Will give it a try and confirm whether the focus/blurriness is caused by my windshield or CPL filter/lens.

Right, thanks, did not realize it plays it back for you compressed even though from an original file.
It still looks a bit off to me, mostly blurred on the sides.

As you suggested, bitrate to max every time, and I would also suggest 21:9 ratio, that will squeeze yet a little bit more bitrate out of it.
Hi Teflon490,
Thanks for your suggestion to switch 21:0 ratio. Hopefully that does the trick.

Back