Not a Happy Camper with the A139

lost count of how many times I've been, 100+ times maybe, I've lived there previously

Sounds / looks like a fun place to visit (Terra Cotta Army, Great Wall, lots of cool nature, etc)
anyone that does export business in China has staff that speak English, in trade it's the second language everywhere in the world

probably made it worse, just send it in English, they'll translate to Chinese if need be, they have better translation software than you do anyway

best thing is keep your communication brief and to the point, list questions one line at a time, add a space between lines so the separation of questions is obvious, the more detailed you make your reply you'll only end up adding in words or phrases that don't directly translate and it just slows things down

Google probably sucks, but I messaged you an example. I wrote in English and Google Translated Chinese. However, their software seems horrible. Whenever I wrote in English, I got strange answers that hardly made sense. So if they have translation software, it's pretty basic, along with their English.

I'm a bit skeptical if Viofo has staff that understands English well. The person offering me support has a very hard time understanding what I wrote in English. Which is why I tried English + Google Translated Chinese.

Damned if you do. Damned if you dont.

Will try your advice. Make things simple as possible.

Sounds / looks like a fun place to visit (Terra Cotta Army, Great Wall, lots of cool nature, etc)
it's a great place, particularly once you get out of the cities, I've been lucky enough to travel to lots of places in China, more than most Chinese people ever do, there's plenty to see there

Google probably sucks, but I messaged you an example. I wrote in English and Google Translated Chinese. However, their software seems horrible. Whenever I wrote in English, I got strange answers that hardly made sense. So if they have translation software, it's pretty basic, along with their English.
Google does ok for the most part, they do have better options available though, was likely more related to how you phrased things

in this case where you received a 6M cable instead of a 1M cable it's quite possible it was just a packing error rather than a misinterpretation
I'm a bit skeptical if Viofo has staff that understands English well.
I've spoken face to face with maybe 7 or 8 of their staff over the years and never had trouble communicating with any of them in English

So you think they are being evasive on purpose, as not to address my concerns?
I suspect they can half the work by not putting much effort into the first reply since many people won't try a second attempt to get an answer if there appears to be a communication problem. If it gets escalated to the right person then you will normally get a very good response.

If Viofo has a staff that speaks English, then it's very basic.
Their ability to read english is pretty good. You may get Chinglish back, and your ability to read/interpret that may not be so good! Which version of English is at fault in that circumstance is questionable, Chinglish is a perfectly valid variant of the language.

So I am at a loss now. I need advice. Got the replacement camera and not tested sunny day yet. I hope sometime this week to get sunshine. Was overcast.

However, this new camera has a different issue than replacement.

1. Old Camera Firmware 1.1, randomly go to 2 Channel. Firmware 1.2, not a problem. I've tested moving and flexing cable, no issues on 2 Channel.

2. New Camera running Firmware 1.2, movement in cable throws camera into 2 channel, switches back to 3. I did NOT receive a replacement interior cable, but a 6 Meter Front to Rear Cable. I did try replacing interior 1 meter cable with 6 meter cable, that didn't see to do the trick either.

So long as the cables don't move, it seems to be "OK" in 3 channel. But this is just from a few hours of playing with it and no driving.

I did install the lock on new camera, as a means of seeing if that keeps cables "firmly planted in place".

3. Per Above, not tested overheating issue yet.

I'm at a bit of a loss here. New Camera is really sensitive to cable movement when old is not at all. Wondering if these issues are stemming from the Right Angle Cables? Everyone here is using a straight cable?

For now, I am going to run overheat test ASAP to see what happens. Drive around with camera (i have lock on it) and see if it drops to 2 channel on its own with movement. Thereafter, decide if I am just unlucky as hell, maybe Viofo should send me a WHOLE NEW KIT, or Cut Losses and Give up?

This is 100% installed properly and the cables have NO sharp bends.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited:
Could be a different manufacturer of MMCX connectors for the "new cables" (not related to angled connectors specifically). Those are probably designed to be more suitable for the shaped molded plastic.

EDIT: I tried three manufacturers for my custom cables with various tolerances (despite all of them should be just "MMCX"). And the funny part is that one manufacturer had nice and tight connection of straight connectors, but angled ones weren't that good so I ended up using combination of straight from one manufacturer and angled one from another.

Last edited:
I don't think the clarification was necessary, I realized you were talking about the new unit and I remember the behaviour of the old unit. Again, there may be tolerances that may not be perfectly met, so sometimes cable doesn't work for one unit and then works for another (and vice versa). I was talking about new cables in general.

You are probably still one of few who have the new cables...

What's your advice here @Nath?
There is not much what you can possibly do, except use the security bracket which should limit movement of the cables (which you plan to try). Or ask for another replacement. But who knows, it's hard to judge at a distance.

Last edited:
I don't think the clarification was necessary, I realized you were talking about the new unit and I remember the behaviour of the old unit. Again, there may be tolerances that may not be perfectly met, so sometimes cable doesn't work for one unit and then work for another (and vice versa). I was talking about new cables in general.

You are probably still one of few who have the new cables...

There is not much what you can possibly do, except use the security bracket which should limit movement of the cables (which you plan to try). Or ask for another replacement. But who knows, it's hard to judge at a distance.

Makes sense. Thanks. So the connectors from varying manufacturers may like one unit but not another. Odd, but I can see how this is very possible with different standards from one manufacturer to another.

Will run the overheating test, see how this one performs. I'll oo from there if the Lock Bracket secure the cables firmly enough that the 2 channel issue is not present in normal driving. I have yet to test the 2 channel issue other than noticing it on install and jiggling cable.

Here is Video I took Today in Afternoon. Today was too cloudy and not sunny enough for heat test. This video probably explains a lot better than I explained above. Forgot to upload the video (had a lot going on right now).

1. New Camera
2. Old Cables
3. Lock in place to better "secure cables". No lock had same 3 channel to 2 Channel Failure.
4. Tried replacing Interior Cable (1M) with 6 meter. Made no difference.
5. Both Interior and Rear Cable will Generate 2 Channel if Wiggled. Video just shows Interior doing it.
6. Main Camera will freeze, requiring removing power or pressing reset button if rear cable is wiggled (can make video if needed).

Video shows original cables since 6 meter cable didn't change results. The Old camera didn't seem to be so sensitive. 3 Channel dropping to 2 channel on OLD CAMERA was only an issue with firmware 1.1. On Firmware 1.2. I could jiggle cables on Old Camera and never had the problem of 3 Channel Dropping to Two Channel. On new Camera, jiggling cables and 3 channels drops to 2 channel as seen in video. This happens every time with very little force and is very easy to replicate. See Video.

So I'm worried about reliability and vibrations of normal driving.....with new camera.

Thoughts, Opinions, etc?

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the connector for the internal cam somehow "not fully" plugged in?

srthtrhtrshtr.png

Is it just me or is the connector for the internal cam somehow "not fully" plugged in?

View attachment 57395

I believe that's as far as they go in with new cable. There's a rounded surface at the bottom. Let me take picture of the new cable BRB

View attachment 57395

This is "Normal". But to check I tried firmly pressing on each cable to make sure I had all were in tight. What I found is when Pushing on Rear, it will also make Rear Camera Drop Out. Causing Main Camera to Freeze. Since I have lock, I must then press reset button. If need be, I can make a second video showing camera freezing if Rear Cable is Moved.

20210708_160644.jpg

cam.jpg

I see, it's one of those. Then it's ok, it only seemed different, compare to the rear. EDIT: Now I noticed where exactly points your arrow, the more important part which causes the gap (what I've meant) is this:
20210708_160644.jpg

This is how looks the "old cable":
_DSC2446.JPG_DSC2447.JPG

What about the internal pin in the new cable? Does it end at the very edge of the outside cylinder?

And to have complete set of connectors, here is connector in the main unit :p :
_DSC2449.JPG

Last edited:
I see, it's one of those. Then it's ok, it only seemed different compare to the rear.

This is how looks the "old cable":
View attachment 57404View attachment 57405

What about the internal pin in the new cable? Does it end at the very edge of the cone (the outside tube)?

Original Package (Old Camera) came with 1 Meter Interior and 6 Meter Front to Rear. New Camera only came with 6 Meter Front to Rear. I tested this new cable in place of interior 1 Meter. As Interior was original problem. Same results as seen in video with new cable.

Far as Front to Rear Cable, I didn't test a new cable. However, as mentioned above, movement of rear cable causes Camera to Freeze and reset is required or yanking power. 100% need to make video for this, too. Thinking about it, it's important to show here and Viofo Support.

I will have to check if pin goes all the way to the end on new cable, but seeing new cable didn't resolve, it appears new camera doesn't like these "Right Angle to Straight Connector" plugs? With the Straight end being the problem.

I will have to check if pin goes all the way to the end on new cable, but seeing new cable didn't resolve, it appears new camera doesn't like these "Right Angle to Straight Connector" plugs? With the Straight end being the problem.
If I remember correctly, you tested the angled connectors plugged in the old main unit and they didn't work at all so "with the straight end being the problem" is kinda off.

But the cables are completely passive components, the important part are the plugs (the metal cylinder at the very end) themselves, which are identical at the both ends. The dashcam doesn't give a damn how much straight, gay or angled the cable/connector is.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, you tested the angled connectors plugged in the old main unit and they didn't work at all so "with the straight end being the problem" is kinda off.

But the cables are completely passive components, the important part are the plugs (the metal cylinder at the very end) themselves, which are identical at the both ends. The dashcam doesn't give a damn how much straight, gay or angled the cable/connector is.

Correct. App wasn't loading cameras. Could have been App Error or Cable. So I won't say that's definitive. Can't recall exact result or process I tried.

Far as Cables being inserted fully, they are 100% inserted all the way in to new cable. Pushing on them further at the main unit or wiggling causes camera to drop to 2 channel (interior cable) or freeze (rear cable).

As it stands, right angle is plugged to Interior and rear camera. Straight end is into the Main Unit for Interior and Rear.

Could be a different manufacturer of MMCX connectors for the "new cables" (not related to angled connectors specifically). Those are probably designed to be more suitable for the shaped molded plastic.

EDIT: I tried three manufacturers for my custom cables with various tolerances (despite all of them should be just "MMCX"). And the funny part is that one manufacturer had nice and tight connection of straight connectors, but angled ones weren't that good so I ended up using combination of straight from one manufacturer and angled one from another.
MMCX is a standard but the differences you experience likely relate to the dies used when making them, older dies, what the die is made of, what machine it's used in all add some possible variances, there's very little room for error in such a small connector which is a further challenge

MMCX is a standard but the differences you experience likely relate to the dies used when making them, older dies, what the die is made of, what machine it's used in all add some possible variances, there's very little room for error in such a small connector which is a further challenge

So Basically, I think I need them to send me a WHOLE NEW KIT. Front + Rear + Interior Camera with matching set of cables?

I so much as tap the cables on the new camera, it loses connection, goes to 2 channel. Or simply freezes up completely.

Video 1: Rear Cable also does similar as Interior Cable. Drops out with not much movement.
Video 2: Camera will freeze solid if rear cable is moved. Not always, but when it does only way to reboot is hit reset button or pull power. Unfortunately, I didn't capture the reset part. Hit stop on recording by mistake.

I think you have those videos the wrong way around.

Does it always restart the 3 channel recording after you have finished wiggling the cables? (Except when it freezes.) If so then I'm not sure it is a problem? It is inevitable that there will be some noise and power/voltage drops as the cable is wiggled, and ideally the camera will cope with this and recover, which it appears to be doing normally.

I am back at 3 channels, and as expected my first attempt of 6 hours parking guard was cut short, this time to a level where i must check the settings on next drive to see if it is actually set to 6 hours.
CUZ my attempt started at 19:40 and it ended at 22:40, so thats exactly half of what i expected to get.

Back