Not sure what to buy

Charity Colebank

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking to get my husband a Christmas Gift. He drives tractor trailer and I am looking to get something durable that can be mounted and moved from truck to truck when needed. I am not concerned with when it is parked as much as I am concerned about when he is moving and recording a possible wreck. I would like something that works day and night and lower viability. I am hoping to keep the cost down, but get something that he could benefit from. What are your suggestions?

Does he carry a laptop with him?

Two cams I like and have used extensively in trucks are a Mobius, and a Viofo A119.

The mobius is small, reliable, easily moved, but has no screen. It can use a suction cup mount or other mounts for more permanent use. You will need to configure it via a laptop. (No big deal)
This is from a Mobius C

The Viofo A119 has a screen, is pretty reliable, overall video is good, but you'll need to carry some extra 3mVHB tape with you to move from truck to truck. (No big deal, but takes a few minutes)
This is from a Viofo A119

Both are under $100.

Two cams I like and have used extensively in trucks are a Mobius, and a Viofo A119.

The mobius is small, reliable, easily moved, but has no screen. It can use a suction cup mount or other mounts for more permanent use. You will need to configure it via a laptop. (No big deal)
This is from a Mobius C

The Viofo A119 has a screen, is pretty reliable, overall video is good, but you'll need to carry some extra 3mVHB tape with you to move from truck to truck. (No big deal, but takes a few minutes)

Both are under $100.

This is from a Mobius C

Both are under $100.
He does have a laptop but it's outdated. Is there one he can use as app on his phone? He is droid.

Yes, there is an android app for the Mobius, but I've not used it.
If he's in a day cab and possibly in a different truck every day it may be easier to just carry an extra, formatted memory card with him.
Having a laptop or other means of saving an important video is kind of important.
Dash cams 'loop' video files, meaning the oldest file is recorded over by the most recent one.
So, if something happens that you need to save the video file, you either need to copy it before it vanishes, use the 'save' functions on the cam, (If it has one) or swap out the memory card with a fresh one. (and not lose it) :)

I usually don't bother with any 'save' or lock functions of the cams I've used since the buttons can be a pain in the XXX to find, and reach in the distances involved when mounted in a truck, and hit the wrong button and you may have other problems. Another easy thing to do is just disconnect the camera when something important has happened.

I get up to 8 hours of video coverage with the two cams I mentioned and a 64gb card.

You can find dash cams at the various truck stops, but they're not that great, and over-priced for what they are.

A 'capacitor' based dash cam is somewhat preferable for long term use in trucks,
but as a first dash cam, I wouldn't get too worried about that.
The mobius has an add on capacitor available, the A119C comes with one.

If he carries the old laptop with him and is not a total techno klutz, the mobius configuration program is not that difficult, or needs the latest laptop to run.

https://www.novotm.com/camera-software.html

DSCF0270a.jpg
That's an a119 on the left, a mobius on the right. They're not big.
DSCF0270a.jpg mobius.jpg

The mobius is about the size of an old matchbox, or tic tac box.

Night vision on the A119 or Mobius is adequate, but most people have unrealistic expectations. The Mobius 'C' version has better night capability than the other versions, but I haven't tried the Mobius 2.
I do have one mobius that has run in a tractor trailer for two years, mostly 24/7 for extended periods.
Mobius C

A119 on a dark, rural road

There are other simple, non capacitor type cams that work OK, and are OK for a first dash cam.
The Ausdom A261, and AD282 are usually on amazon. They both have nice overall video, a screen, and should be under $100. Both use a suction cup, and a normal menu to access settings. The Ad282 will accept a 64gb card.

Somebody recommend some decent 'brick on a stick' dash cams she can easily find online before I confuse this lady. (Probably better for first time user and as a gift)

I haven't used many. The G1Wc or whatever it is comes to mind.

I think you did a good advise @dash riposki . There are both good camera's and not to expensive.
@Charity Colebank Remember to add micro SD card, when you shop.

It won't take many miles if your follow a truck, in an intersection area, before you see bad driving around the truck.
So a dash cam might help to protect a driver against, the other person statement.

If he got problem or just need a little help, there are so many here there are ready to help.
There a down site to this site is, that it can be additive, so you have to take that risk.

Last edited:
i think we need a temporary thread 'I want to buy somebody a dash cam for XMAS'.
(with suggestions for easy to use, reliable cams, commonly available online within a price range)

Forgot about the Ausdom AD118, which I currently see on Amazon for $35 in the US.
For that price, it's OK, and not a bad starter dash cam, or a techy 'stocking stuffer'.
:)

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...performance-in-a-somewhat-nice-package.17793/

Back