Note of thanks and a couple of questions.

Probably so, but likely won't apply to the 18650. Some older LiIon cell sizes are already becoming harder to get as the "big four" aren't makinmg them anymore, but focusing on newer sizes instead. The 18650 is so ubiquitious that it will probably be around forever but who can say for the rest?

Phil

Probably so, but likely won't apply to the 18650. Some older LiIon cell sizes are already becoming harder to get as the "big four" aren't makinmg them anymore, but focusing on newer sizes instead. The 18650 is so ubiquitious that it will probably be around forever but who can say for the rest?

Phil

I wasn't suggesting that we will see 2170 cells or 4680s any time soon but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities that some of the "breakthrough innovations in cell chemistry and materials" that Tesla and Panasonic are not ready to publicly reveal might make their way into future 18650s or 16340s.

It will be interesting, i intend to be cremated in a bolt of lightning, and be born again as Thor :)
I think the Tesla / Panasonic relationship are one of necessity, i could see Tesla drop them at one time.

I have a couple of 26650 cells i want to use, but have nothing to put them in as i gave that flashlight ( which was in my car ) to my niece so they always have a backup light as they live far from any streetlights.
That partikular cell format do seem to be fizzing out with the advent of the 21700 cells.

That would be nice on my bike / eScooter

That's the cam (y)

18650's hit a technological wall at about 3400mA, perhaps a little bit more. With the way these are made you simply can't get any more than that with them. Cells claiming much more than that are bogus or are stretching the truth, both are signs that you do not want that cell :cautious:

Phil

There is the LG MJ1 rated for 3500mAh, but it's not so great when it comes to life span.

I think much of the problem with the action cameras are two things.
1: The idea that they must always be smaller and smaller, to me they are plenty small, even the original gopro was small enough, IMO if they got a little larger it would not hurt.
2: ruggedness / waterproof. the action cameras can and are often exposed to things you can not ask of a phone to survive, not least due to a phones large screen.
But this are indeed paramount to a action camera in my mind, but i still think a waterproof case would be fine for waterproofing, if a camera was just rain proof i would be okay with that.

My largest gripe with the action cameras have always been the batteries, really 70 - 120 minutes of recording time on a charge are a joke, it should rather be 180 - 320 minutes of recording time ( or more )
A 18650 battery today will give you 3500 - 4000 MAH, thats a lot more then the 1300 - 1500 MAH you see in action cameras today, and it is a standard battery, so no need for the camera maker to design / buy special batteries.
I dont think i will buy a action camera again unless the battery are a standard one, for what i record i can easy make do with a phone and so really all i had to buy was a gimbal, so that route would be cheaper too.

The new insta360 one R, which have a large battery you can buy,,,,,, it is still a special battery but the size of it, it should just have been a dock for a regular 18650 battery you could replace.
I really think insta was stupid with that accessory.

Actually the Hero 9 is a lot more bigger and heavier than the Hero 9, the battery capacity went up from 1220mAh (Hero 8) to 1720mAh (Hero 9).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Action Camera Discussion 3
G Action Camera Discussion 1
Back