Novatek vs Ambarella -- which one is better? Also some models to consider...

Night time videos are pretty much the same with all those Novatek NT96650+AR0330 cams.
I've seen some great looking night videos from this cam. If you look, you'll find some.

Night time videos are pretty much the same with all those Novatek NT96650+AR0330 cams.
I've seen some great looking night videos from this cam. If you look, you'll find some.
The G90 with ambarella A7 chip is supposed to have better night time videos than the NT96650.

Is it just me or the night video of LS300W looks better than the Panorama II in these videos?

It's just you.

The LS300W (or GT300W) is excellent, especially for the price (I own a GT300W) but in most ways it is no match for the Sony Exmor sensor. Look closely and perhaps freeze the video periodically to observe the enhanced shadow detail off to the roadsides you will see in the Panorama video that is not visible on the LS300W. The Panorama II has a purple cast which I understand has been improved upon in more recent firmware and the Panorama S but dash cams are made to record what happens rather than win awards for cinematography.

Last edited:
...but dash cams are made to record what happens rather than win awards for cinematography.
Yes my point exactly, that's the reason something good enough will work within budget.
Panorama is over the budget for now.

I watched again but still the 300w's video's are sharp and more clear.
Panorama does have much more angle of view that covers a lot more.

I'm very tempted to buy the new G90 but not enough reviews here at DCT.

Non brand LS300w has great night video:

So does the G90 but no comparison videos as of yet.

Decisions...decisions...

As you've already heard here before, I would encourage you not to rely on YouTube videos for a critical evaluation of dash camera video quality. Download full resolution clips for a proper comparison.

As you've already heard here before, I would encourage you not to rely on YouTube videos for a critical evaluation of dash camera video quality. Download full resolution clips for a proper comparison.
That's true.
I did notice more shadow details on the Panorama like trees and other structures but I'm not ready yet for it.
Also, the EV may be interpreted differently on those cameras. I mean those details may be visible with higher EV on the 300w.

My choices are either G1W, GT/LS300w, G90 or something in that range that gives decent night quality.

The DOD LS300W along with its identical well made but much lower priced clone the GT300W have both been discontinued for some time. The nearly identical GT550WS is still available but I believe it only comes with a GPS unit now whereas the GPS used to be optional. An alternative might be the well regarded Shadow RX300 (with optional GPS) Also the A118 is getting good word of mouth from members here and is priced very attractively. It would be worth considering as well.

The DOD LS300W along with its identical well made but much lower priced clone the GT300W have both been discontinued for some time. The nearly identical GT550WS is still available but I believe it only comes with a GPS unit now whereas the GPS used to be optional. An alternative might be the well regarded Shadow RX300 (with optional GPS) Also the A118 is getting good word of mouth from members here and is priced very attractively. It would be worth considering as well.

They all use NT96650 chip.
Is there any indication that the new A7 chip used in G90 is much better?

I'm still waiting on someone actually getting their hands on the G90 to see what the quality is like. Higher end cameras A7 cameras with the same sensor are producing some very nice videos :)

I'm still waiting on someone actually getting their hands on the G90 to see what the quality is like. Higher end cameras A7 cameras with the same sensor are producing some very nice videos :)
I thought you'd already had an interesting offer from FoxOffer...;)

I brought the G90 up here:

A7 with 4 Megapixel OV4689 sensor

If @billknow would like to offer a discount I'll buy one and do a review as in theory it should beat Novatek cameras at night with the sensor it has - in practice though who knows :) The higher end A7LA70D cameras (the G90 is the A7LA30D) offer lots more features though - higher resolution, higher possible frame rate, and also HDR night time footage. I'm yet to see proper HDR night time footage though so it could all be marketing blurb at this state.

It does seem very cheap indeed though - priced the same as things like the GT680W which are a known quantity.

@reverend, I sent a private message to you, wish you will buy g90 camera and do a review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I replied to Bill but haven't heard anything. Basically he offered a small discount for the review - I'd use more than that in fuel to get half the footage so asked if he would be interested in a bigger discount! Have to admit I'm more interested in an A7LA70D device but didn't fancy spending out almost £50 on something that is an unknown quantity. If I can get a bigger discount on a sample for my time and fuel I'd maybe be more inclined to do it :)

Ah I replied to Bill but haven't heard anything. Basically he offered a small discount for the review - I'd use more than that in fuel to get half the footage so asked if he would be interested in a bigger discount! Have to admit I'm more interested in an A7LA70D device but didn't fancy spending out almost £50 on something that is an unknown quantity. If I can get a bigger discount on a sample for my time and fuel I'd maybe be more inclined to do it :)
Good luck I'm sure @billknow will be reading this thread!;)

Looks like no one here has the G90 yet. o_O
May be it's the next best dash cam under $100.

Well big thanks to Bill and I've ordered the G90 this morning.

I'll do daytime and nighttime footage, hopefully some sunny day footage as we're just hitting the UK nice weather and also as I'm in the UK there will be plenty of cloudy day and rainy footage :)

I'm near the Peak District and so will be able to get good darkness footage too so a mixture of everything.

I already have the Shadow GT680W cameras up front and back so will be able to do an A-B comparison to these so I shall let you know when it arrives and you guys will have the footage as soon as I do!

Nice! Let's see what the verdict is. ;)

Back