Novatek vs Ambarella -- which one is better? Also some models to consider...

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
Which one is better in general?
Are Novatek NT96650+AR0330 and Ambarella A2S70 in the same level for video quality?

Also, which is better option here?
1. Viofo VF960 with Ambarella A2S70 chip for $80:
2. Non brand LS300w/GT300w with NT96650 for $70:
3. G1W/G1WB with NT96650 for $52 - $53:
4. A118 with Novatek 96650 for $70:
5. G90 with Ambarella A7LA30 for $86:

I'm trying not to go above $60 that limits me to G1W but if it really makes difference in the quality, few bucks more is okay.
Any other similar models?

Thanks

Last edited:
Which one is better in general?
Are Novatek NT96650+AR0330 and Ambarella A2S70 in the same level for video quality?

Also, which is better option here?
1. Viofo VF960 with Ambarella A2S70 chip for $80:
2. Non brand LS300w/GT300w with NT96650 for $70:
3. G1W/G1WB with NT96650 for $52 - $53:
4. A118 with Novatek 96650 for $70:
5. G90 with Ambarella A7LA30 for $86:

I'm trying not to go above $60 that limits me to G1W but it really makes difference in the quality, few bucks more is okay.
Any other similar models?

Thanks

G90 would be my choice.

So A7LA30 chip is better than A2S70?

Looks like the VF960 comes with GPS but G90 does not.

Last edited:
yes it's technically better, firmware still needs time to develop though

Okay thanks.
G90:
Aperture Range F1.8
Focel Distance f=2.8mm
Also has HDR.

VF960:
Aperture 5.2, Focal Length 2.8mm

That's a lot of lights on G90 if it actually is f1.8 (that's like DSLR lens) compared to f5.2 on VF960.
Is there really that much difference on the lens?

lens makes a lot of difference
Of course it does.
I was asking if G90's lens is really that big compared to VF960's.

Of course it does.
I was asking if G90's lens is really that big compared to VF960's.
G90 spec is possibly correct, I doubt the VF960 is using an F5.2 lens though, I'd expect that's a typo, F2.8 is more likely I would think for that model

lots of Novatek based cameras use F1.6 or F1.8 lenses, plenty of them in the market

I have a VF960S and according to the documentation it is F2.5 . I can vouch that the night vision is not the best.

I've few DSLR with big lenses and even they have hard time at night so that can be problem to any camera.
I'm not looking for the best but for the best bang for the money within my budget.

G90 is $86, the most expensive one in that list, $6 more than VF960, $6 is almost the manufacturer' profit, $86 and $80 would be a big difference for manufacturer.

I am saying above is to telling quality always related price, few dollars difference that may impact the different material selection.

G90 would be my choice.

You mentioned the LS300 has even better quality than over $200 dashcams in this thread.
So I had that in the list but that was over a year ago so may be other lower priced ones now have better quality like the G90?

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ght-hid-xenon-standard-bulbs.1444/#post-14704

There will never be a fully perfect dash cam ( as with all technology ). People want always more and more and more. But from few dozens of dash cams I have tested ( half of them were so called premium class priced over 200usd ) - DOD LS300W video quality can be compared with high end models ( if not better in most cases ).

Also, I'll be very happy with the G1W night video quality that you did there.
Test was from Capacitor based G1W-C from Foxoffer.
It's for $66 but I don't like the shiny silver lens cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay guys, give me a push. :confused:

push-cliff.jpg

I'm leaning towards G90.
Do you think I should wait for something else as I have C600 for the time being or G90 will be enough for a while?

To compare, this is how the video from my current C600 looks:
watch @ 720p-->

Last edited:
As long as you are looking at models without a GPS and liking the G90, would you consider an SJ4000 with the car charger and mount?
The G90 while not big, is not a tiny thing like a mini 0803. Probably similar in size to an SJ4000, and the SJ4000 can do double duty since it's not just used as a dash cam.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this, as well as the others who have previously responded.

Steve

As long as you are looking at models without a GPS and liking the G90, would you consider an SJ4000 with the car charger and mount?
The G90 while not big, is not a tiny thing like a mini 0803. Probably similar in size to an SJ4000, and the SJ4000 can do double duty since it's not just used as a dash cam.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this, as well as the others who have previously responded.

Steve
Hmm... I'll watch videos to see how good the quality is.

I'm going to suggest this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2090990

I've been on the fence about what to get, either a dedicated dash cam or one of these SJ4000 cams, and I am leaning toward the SJ4000. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a deal, but I'm curious what some of the dedicated dash cam users think.
I just want to mention that I would never leave it in the car permanently, because I have 2 cars and would move whatever cam I get between the 2 cars, so a suction mount is the way I'd go.
It's also small enough to put in a pocket, so I'd never leave it in the car even if I left for a few minutes.
I really like that it has a battery that would run for hours as well. Loop recording also.
Built with the same Novatek NT96650+AR0330.

Daytime videos look pretty good on the SJ4000 and amazing wide angle (170 degrees) that's perfect for dash cam but night time is not that great.
Also, battery is good for 100 minutes so better for motion detect mode as well.
I'll watch more night time videos.

Back