Off-centre positioning

indeed, any of those are going to do the job, I think most would balk at 7 inches of offset (and realistically that's probably way more than people would normally be considering) but the small amount of offset in the actual picture is negligible

In my vehicle 7 inches or more of offset away from the center post of the rear view mirror is required if you want to avoid having the state inspection sticker mounted behind and just below the mirror in the camera's FOV. That's basically my whole point about the need for an aiming adjustment.

Here it is my configuration (Audi A4):
Cam1.jpgCam3.jpg
Cam4.jpg Cam2.jpg
As you can see, cam is no longer located on the windshield but on the rear mirror mount istself (on the bottom side of rain detect device). By this way, cam is now perfectly centered and brings better results than located on the left side next to the mirror. Thanks to this, cam is lower and 5 inches back from the windows, making license plates to be eaysily readable (because no longer overexposured) even when directly illuminated by Xenon lights beams. Additionnaly, this offer possibility to hide the cam when car is parked, thanks to a curtain roller sunshade.

Last edited:
I tried a strip of the 3m on the mounting bracket and found that the added strip kept the middle of the square from adhering at all, so the two outside edges are secure for the time being. I will have to keep messing about. Even mounting the 996 right next to the mirror mounting post the cam has to be adjusted about to get an equal view of the front of the car. I guess my car 14 Infiniti Q50S has a pretty curved windshield.

Hello
I have a Ford Focus and having trouble getting a decent view with my new camera.
This is my windscreen and as you can see it has a big sensor housing behind the rear mirror.IMAG0534.jpgIMAG0531.jpg
Therefore it would be illegal to mount the camera on the end of it as it will be in the naughty zone correct?

So my only solution so far is to mount it at the top of the drivers side window that will be behind the sun visor when it's down.
This is the view I get.
Screenshot_2015-10-13-14-25-25.png

I'm wondering if that's a good position as I believe it's the best I can get.
This camera is a Thinkware F750 and can only be mounted with adhesive, so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks

not the easiest camera to work with for your situation due to the physical size
It isn't I agree but having it mounted as far to the top on drivers side is legal? My sun visor when folded out will be hiding it from my sight if that paints a picture.

As for the camera view, does that seem reasonable as it's the best I believe I'm going to get?

I have a similar situation with the SG9665GC that requires me to mount the camera about 7 inches to the right of my vehicle's rear view mirror center mounting post. (left hand drive) My solution is to use double sided 3M VHB tape. I place one or two layers of 3M tape vertically along the left side of the camera mounting plate covering about one quarter of the plate. This is on top of the existing layer of 3M mounting tape. This will aim the camera several degrees to the left (or right as the case may be) to achieve a more centered viewpoint for the camera. Because of the curve in my windscreen, this method also requires the camera's mounting angle to be adjusted slightly askew to achieve a level horizon.

This method requires a bit of trial and error to determine whether you need one or two extra layers of 3M tape along the side of the mount for proper centering adjustment as well as some trial and error to get the horizon as level as possible. In the end it will allow one to aim this camera to accommodate your needs. Not the perfect solution, but it works.

I've had no trouble at all with the security of the camera's mounting bond to the windscreen.

Last edited:
I have a similar situation with the SG9665GC that requires me to mount the camera about 7 inches to the right of my vehicle's rear view mirror center mounting post. (left hand drive) My solution is to use double sided 3M VHB tape. I place one or two layers of 3M tape vertically along the left side of the camera mounting plate covering about one quarter of the plate. This is on top of the existing layer of 3M mounting tape. This will aim the camera several degrees to the left (or right as the case may be) to achieve a more centered viewpoint for the camera. Because of the curve in my windscreen, this method also requires the camera's mounting angle to be adjusted slightly askew to achieve a level horizon.

This method requires a bit of trial and error to determine whether you need one or two extra layers of 3M tape along the side of the mount for proper centering adjustment as well as some trial and error to get the horizon as level as possible. In the end it will allow one to aim this camera to accommodate your needs. Not the perfect solution, but it works.

I've had no trouble at all with the security of the camera's mounting bond to the windscreen.
Any chance of a picture to get an idea of what you mean?

Any chance of a picture to get an idea of what you mean?

Well, a photo of two layers of 3M VHB tape along one side of the back of the mounting plate would be impossible to offer you since it is currently attached to my windscreen. Other than that, as for a horizon axis adjustment just imagine a SG9665GC mounted slightly askew from perfectly vertical and you'll know what it looks like.

I'm not following sorry lol
I'll figure something out. It hasn't been mounted yet.

I'm not following sorry lol
I'll figure something out. It hasn't been mounted yet.

Other than that, as for a horizon axis adjustment just imagine a SG9665GC mounted slightly askew from perfectly vertical and you'll know what it looks like.

@RobS89 has a Thinkware F750 not one of our cameras which is why he is probably having trouble picturing exactly what you meant

@RobS89 has a Thinkware F750 not one of our cameras which is why he is probably having trouble picturing exactly what you meant

Oh!....I had no way to know that. No mention of camera ownership under his avatar nor any mention of that camera in @RobS89's recent posts here. I based my remarks on this being the "Off Center Positioning" thread in the SG9665GC forum.

He did mention it (post 25) but easily missed, I had seen some of his earlier posts so was aware already it was a Thinkware, I didn't notice he had posted in our section though so can understand the confusion

The subject of off-center positioning could probably use its very own thread. For me its something I've been forced to deal with ever since my first dash cam.

Back