Okay, I need Protection

Killmon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, I am from a small town and have worked in the public safety industry. Apparently I have made some folks angry that are in power, and they have begun to do some very corrupt things. I need a set up that will not only get front and back but sides. preferably with audio if I am asked to get out of my vehicle.

I was thinking of just buying a blackvue, or the like, and swiveling it to view the sides if pulled over. Or buying two and having one pointed at the sides and the other front and back.

I would like 4k and wireless cloud back up as well.

I have been reading for a few hours and can now see that it would take me years to figure out what would work best.

Anyone have any recommendations on what would give me front read and sides and sound externally with cloud, wireless and maybe lte..etc...

I am capable of installing custom configs as well, I would just need to know what components to buy.

Thanks for your help.

You will probably need to be parked right next to a 4G mast or drive around and around it to upload 4K footage to the cloud as it roll in on the camera, and you need a unlimited data plan as a regular 1080p dashcam do about 100 MB every minute / 1 Gb every 10 minutes ( at least ), a 4K camera are much more data to be sent.
And you need to pay for a large / unlimited cloud data plan, and i have no idea what the few brands of cameras that have that charge for it.
And as i understand it none of the current cloud cameras have a sim tray, so you will also need a 4G access point / mobile wifi router in the car.

I drive a 360 coverage car myself, but the system are made up with 2 different dual channel systems, so they are not quite in sync.
But i get a good look at anyone approaching my car, and good audio if someone are talking at the door.
Though here in Denmark i get out of the car to face them, as i feel very bad with people hovering over me, and Danish cops don't mind as Danes have very little chance of packing anything dangerous to a cop.

ATM i don't have a cabin camera, so no coverage of the cabin or doors where un-polite people might show up.

Best side cameras are the up and coming dual remote cameras, as they have very small camera units easy to place on fixed side glass like i have on my front and rear doors ( cameras on rear doors ) but also elsewhere if you install near a moving door window.
Many of us have been using single cameras often the little mobius for side and rear cameras, way before dual channel cameras became a thing to consider.

Well you're in a tight spot. But something can still be done here. I'm using a B2W as my primary cam ATM, both the front and cabin lenses are easily rotatable if needed, and the cabin cam does IR at night. One the sides I'd run either a pair of B1W's or better yet a K2S remote cam system with the cabling and main unit well-hidden. Both as a back-up for the front cam and to cover the rear, use a regular 2-channel cam of your choice. I'd also have a digital audio recorded handy that could be turned on and hidden between seat and console or similar without my putting it there being seen ;)

Now all this is going to take some time and effort to install and configure along with needing time more-or-less regularly to check the cards and cams for functioning (this is regular maintenance recommended for any cam). And money- several hundred dollars depending on your cam choice. And it all means naught if the cards are taken and evidence gets destroyed. There are a few folks who have set up wifi hotspots so they can monitor their cams remotely, as well as some who have configured them to be easily downloaded at home. You're not going to have much success doing this on a real-time basis since the cam's wifi modules don't have the necessary speeds to do that :(

One of the main reasons I got my first dashcam is because there's one cop around here who doesn't like me, and he has caused me grief in the past. I doubt that he would go so far as to play with evidence (like my cards) but you have to remember that this is always possible, and there's not much you can do to protect yourself from it if they have the legal system "in their pocket" so to speak. That's often the case in small towns, and with the 'right' people it happens in bigger towns too. Your only real defense against those types is to not be where they can touch you. Or you can make more powerful 'friends' than they have but that takes time (and often a lot of money too). My first criminal defense lawyer was also something of a friend and you wouldn't believe what he could do because he was also a Judge in a neighboring area so he had enough 'clout' to get whatever he wanted. I learned much from him before he died and one of the main lessons was to not go willingly into potential trouble situations. Another was that in the US legal system the only thing that really matters is what your Lawyer can and will do for you- cheap lawyers always fail this. I'm sure all of us world-wide know of some injustice done or crime gone unpunished because someone had enough power to get away with it.

So as much as I hate to say it, if I were you knowing what I know I would just get a hideable audio recorder, a 2-channel dashcam, and then get my butt out of there ASAP never going back. Only a fool goes into a fight knowing they can't win, and an unwinnable situation seems to be the situation you've got. It's either get gone or you get yourself into a position of having more power than they have before they destroy you. It's simply reality where right and wrong or holding moral high ground doesn't matter anymore- only your survival and safety counts.

Phil

Well, additionally you can keep one of those keychain camera attached to yr car keyring, very inconspicuous and always at hand, bot inside and outside the vehicle.

I do support people standing up for their rights cuz that is very important, but you also have to choose your battles.
Most persons with authority do bad when they are confronted with issues in regard to the work they do, this go from the lowest public servant right up to the president, so those you should only do battle with when you have the high ground.
And we should all go for the high ground and confront those people as much as we can, cuz if we don't our societies turn into poo, those people are meant to be fought and they should all fear us regular people, and be extremely mindful that they do the job right.

Some years ago a Chinese PM was visiting here, and Danish police was ripping Tibetan flags out of the hands of a few protesting people lining his route in the limo, this was not even a demonstration as such.
And it was very embarrassing to see Danish police men being so bad at their job, and know so little about the constitutional rights of Danes,,,,,,, one of the most embarrassing moments in my life,,,,, and i have done a lot of stupid poo myself.
Of course for that, no one was fired or reprimanded or anything,,,, and that's just about just as embarrassing to me.

I do support people standing up for their rights cuz that is very important, but you also have to choose your battles.
Most persons with authority do bad when they are confronted with issues in regard to the work they do, this go from the lowest public servant right up to the president, so those you should only do battle with when you have the high ground.
And we should all go for the high ground and confront those people as much as we can, cuz if we don't our societies turn into poo, those people are meant to be fought and they should all fear us regular people, and be extremely mindful that they do the job right.

Some years ago a Chinese PM was visiting here, and Danish police was ripping Tibetan flags out of the hands of a few protesting people lining his route in the limo, this was not even a demonstration as such.
And it was very embarrassing to see Danish police men being so bad at their job, and know so little about the constitutional rights of Danes,,,,,,, one of the most embarrassing moments in my life,,,,, and i have done a lot of stupid poo myself.
Of course for that, no one was fired or reprimanded or anything,,,, and that's just about just as embarrassing to me.

wtf?

What are you on about? These people will likely try and kill me. So if you can contribute to the answer to the question, that is great. But antidotes and opinions are not helpful.

wtf?

What are you on about? These people will likely try and kill me. So if you can contribute to the answer to the question, that is great. But antidotes and opinions are not helpful.
If you really fear for your life then you better seek for better means of protection for you or your family or move away!

Kill you ?

You said
made some folks angry that are in power
So i assumed you was another victim of those bad constitution and civil rights violating police and other people we hear about now and then.
But if that is the case you are the first one i have heard about fearing liable to get killed by those forces, and in that case i feel videotaping them are just a little part of what you need to do.

In my first post i have told you a little about the technical issues you will face in regard to what you will like to do with a dashcam

If you like 4K and cloud features, as i recall only blackvue are able to do that, but you better read up on their sub forums to see what kind of experience people have with those.
other brands that make a true 4K system are thinkware and Viofo, but as i recall those do not have cloud features, and like blackvue the 4K are just on the front facing camera.
And none of them are models you can reach over and turn towards your driver side door or passenger side door, as these are all stick on the windscreen style cameras with no swiveling mount ( and swivel mounts we often have at advise against )
The Blackvue cameras are barrel style cameras, and the thinkware and viofo are wedge style cameras, and those in general only have up and down adjustment of the lens and no side to side option.

The cloud or streaming option, well i have seen some of that on youtube with a political party here broadcasting their demonstrations, and those often drop down to 360p resolution or even extremely poor minecraft looking graphics, and also falling out all together.
And in Denmark we have several providers that give you 4G nationwide and often working together for free roaming so really most Danes have 2 providers networks to go by, so fair to say it is not garbage cellular networks fault, so i would not dare to go that route for anything that might be needed for evidence where you need to be able to identify some people.
Also it don't take a degree in rocket science to jam a cellular network, so if those people know you are relying on that, it is a easy fix to disable that option for you when they approach you.

If these people are trying to kill you then how exactly will a dashcam help?

You would be better pursuing something that will prevent rather than simply record the event in my opinion.

wtf? What are you on about? These people will likely try and kill me. So if you can contribute to the answer to the question, that is great. But antidotes and opinions are not helpful.

If it's really that serious and you're not gone yet, then there's nothing much I can say to help you. As the Mexicans say "Los muertas no hablan" and if you're still there now you may be there forever, or at least till you decompose in your coffin :eek:

I do know something of these matters and currently the one person still alive who has sworn to do me in hasn't shown their face in the ~15 years since they conveyed their threat. The several others who did similar are long dead now and I'm no longer involved in the situations which brought such as this about- I'm older and I like my peace nowadays :cool: The cops here who want to cause me grief know that corpses don't feel misery so I'm not very concerned about them, but if I were concerned to that degree I'd have left this place long ago even though this is my home. I'm in sparring match with them, not a fight to the finish :smug: Spend your cam money on a tank full of gas- that's your best solution and the only one likely to work for you. Then if you want, make the arrangements to cause a fight later on where you can win, one of your own time, place, and choosing- not theirs. There is a difference between a strategic retreat and cowardice; the bold and brave may often win but the dead never do ;)

Phil

And that come from a people that have a day of the dead / dia de los muertos

And now i think of this classic.

Last edited:
Back