on motion detect

abarth

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SGZC12RC░░ mini0805░░ viofoA119░░B1W
this may very well be my next DC.

but before I pull the trigger, can some of you beta testers chime in on motion detect mode? I'm not expecting the excellent pre-buffering that my SG has but I'd like to know how it performs anyway. is motion detect sensitive enough that I can drive around even in dimly lit streets and not have huge missing chunks of video? and how quickly does it start to record when it's triggered?

TIA for any and all input.

this may very well be my next DC.

but before I pull the trigger, can some of you beta testers chime in on motion detect mode? I'm not expecting the excellent pre-buffering that my SG has but I'd like to know how it performs anyway. is motion detect sensitive enough that I can drive around even in dimly lit streets and not have huge missing chunks of video? and how quickly does it start to record when it's triggered?

TIA for any and all input.

Hi @abarth
The motion detection only works when a battery is installed or the cam is hooked up permanently to a power supply. I'll get some information over tomorrow as I believe I'm the only one with batteries...if someone has a 520/820mah battery lying around for their Mobius that could work for the JooVuu X as well but I have not tested that. Motion detection at the moment has 3 sensitivities (low, medium, high), high is on par with like a leaf flying past (not that sensitive but very sensitive), medium is more akin to a person walking past, whilst low is a person hanging around your car for a little bit. Motion detection trigger information I do not have so I'll get that or a tester can. I'm just working my way through each setting and testing image quality, tomorrow I have my day set aside for features as well so will have more info then.

Cheers,

Dan

thanks for the reply, Dan. for my uses, I'll be sticking w/ the capacitor and will have it plugged in to my PANOBDP for power.

a video in a parking lot/garage with motion detect on is what I'm mostly after as that's where my car is during my workday. also, some night driving footage w/ motion detect on would be great so I can have a feel on what it may miss or what it may catch during use.

for a bit of background, I'm currently using a mini 0805 on motion detect and I've been quite impressed w/ it as far as motion detect. it can't touch my SG when it comes to sensitivity but it has caught everything I need it to. yes, it will create a gap in recordings when I'm stopped at a red light until the car in front of me starts moving again and will start the actual recording a fraction of a second after motion. and when I'm parked it will catch a car 1/3 into the frame depending on the amount of ambient light as well as that vehicles speed but it's never failed to catch enough of it that I couldn't identify the make and model of said vehicle.

so, I'm hoping the X is at least as good or better than my 0805's performance when it comes to motion detect. :)

so, I'm hoping the X is at least as good or better than my 0805's performance when it comes to motion detect. :)

some things you're at the mercy of Ambarella and what they provide in the SDK but the X does have more capable engineers doing the firmware so the likelihood of being able to improve it is much greater

Why would you use motion detection when driving? I would think you want continuous recording for driving and motion detection when parked up.

some cameras the motion detect works well enough that it can be used all the time and won't cut out while driving, that's the minority though

I prefer it to work like i undestand the lukas work.
IF 0 G-sensor snese no movement for X minutes then wake up motion detect and G-sensor detect, that way i could allways record while driving, and if i parked my car within 1 minute the camera change to full parking mode with both motion and G-sensor on duty.

As jokiin say that will allso work, but i think it might be more tricky to implement than just a fjew lines of code saying IF ? / then bla bla

Then again as jokiin say i cant see that to be hard either, IF G-sensor feel movent all then time then allways record / if g-sensore dont feel movement then start parking guard mode ( sensor and motion detect or just one of them on )

But many things i fine simple turn out to not be so simple, even in this computer and smartness age.

Back