On of 2 Mini 0806 Bought in Jan Faulty - Gearbest

Caghan

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Hey there guys I'm looking for some guidance from the dashcamtalk peeps here. I have bought 2 MINI 0806 dash cams from gear best back in january. i installed one on my car then another on my dads car. i bought original 32gb sd cards and installed them onto the dash cams. after some time back in january, my dash cam started acting up and started randomly resetting and turning off and the only way i could turn it back on was to soft reset it by holding down the power button for 20 seconds. i thought updating the firmware would fix it so i used the cam for more than 2 months and updated regularly but it did not fix my problem. unfortunately i had to move overseas permanently and had to travel for a couple of months before i settled to Australia (bought the camera in Cyprus). so in the time that i was traveling i installed the camera onto my friends car for a 22 hour road trip and the camera kept freezing and crashing and was only able to record around 9hours of footage missing a crash that we had. i changed the card thinking that might be the problem but it wasn't. Now that i settled here in Australia I'm afraid that Gearbest may think that coz i had the camera for so long, it is not in their interest to fix it or replace it. You guys have any ideas on what i can do?

Greatly appreciated.

getting it fixed or replaced will be a challenge regardless of where you are, you can try though

i woulda thought that Gearbest would be "reliable". I've checked some reviews on them and they seemed fairly positive. maybe i was wrong :(

pre sales and after sales are two very different situations, try your luck though, you never know

Mini0806 had so many issues and looks like the ones that were without issues are also not reliable.

I'm sure you already did this but have you tried running it in default settings without touching a single setting at all?

I have had a lot of issues with mine and found that there are a lot of settings it just doesn't like. I set it to 16:9 since the 21:9 is actually cropping the picture and then let it go. I have not had any issues since then. Also you can't insert 2 cards into it. At least not on mine.

You probably already know this stuff but figured I'd mention it since no one else did.

Does it shut down or indicate low battery immediately after unplugging it from power (while still on)? One of mine just started doing that, and all signs point to a defective battery. My seller is sending me a new one, and I feel I'm mechanically/electrically proficient enough to swap it. My symptoms were that it would randomly shut down. Granted, I didn't have to reset it to get it to power back up (just hit the power button once). Before the shut down it would stop recording and make a warning sound (like I'd pulled the µSD card out while it was recording. A brief error message would appear, but it is too small and to short-lived for me to read.

Anyway, I'm hoping that replacing the battery will solve the issues. All of my other 0806's will stay on for at least 10 minutes (with a fully charged battery) after being unplugged and manually kept on.

FWIW, the batteries are only about USD8, so it might be worth the effort/expense if your seller won't work with you.

just want to update you guys on my situation. Spoke with gear best in september and they said they would refund me $30 for the trouble through paypal and i accepted but never received a refund unfortunately. i opened a ticket again and they told me that the refund has been done but i received nothing. i sent them a screenshot of my paypal page as proof but i am still waiting for a reply. i just dropped another $170 on gear best hoping for a better outcome. hopefully this won't happen to anyone. just an FYI, if your product is faulty and you bought it from Gearbest, prepare to bite the bullet hard.

I wish I had never dealt with gearbest. There tech support is totally useless. I have an ongoing battle with them and have disputed my charges with Visa though I am not sure that will make a difference. Here is there 'scoop' - no matter where you had it shipped from (mine came from Staten Island, NYC), you must ship it back at your own expense to China. That would mean about $25 - $30USD and a 3 to 4 week ship. Once their Chinese return center receives it, you will NOT get a refund on your Paypal or credit card - they will issue you essentially a 'store credit' - in your "GB Wallet". So you will have to buy something else from them with the credit. I should have purchased the product from another retailer/vendor even at a higher price - big mistake going with Gearbest. They take days to provide pitiful support for each question and have miserable return policies IMHO.

I wish I had never dealt with gearbest. There tech support is totally useless. I have an ongoing battle with them and have disputed my charges with Visa though I am not sure that will make a difference. Here is there 'scoop' - no matter where you had it shipped from (mine came from Staten Island, NYC), you must ship it back at your own expense to China. That would mean about $25 - $30USD and a 3 to 4 week ship. Once their Chinese return center receives it, you will NOT get a refund on your Paypal or credit card - they will issue you essentially a 'store credit' - in your "GB Wallet". So you will have to buy something else from them with the credit. I should have purchased the product from another retailer/vendor even at a higher price - big mistake going with Gearbest. They take days to provide pitiful support for each question and have miserable return policies IMHO.

to be fair these sellers all play this game so regardless of which Chinese seller you bought from you'd be in the same boat, buy on home soil and you have consumer protections in place (and generally deal with people that do care) and the added cost is easily justified if you have any problems

To be honest - I make the assumption that if the seller ships from the U.S. (Staten Island), they should accept a return to the same location. This is the first time I have ever had a seller insist that a product shipped from the US must be returned to China for a 'store credit'! They won't give me my money back even if the products were faulty.

To be honest - I make the assumption that if the seller ships from the U.S. (Staten Island), they should accept a return to the same location. This is the first time I have ever had a seller insist that a product shipped from the US must be returned to China for a 'store credit'! They won't give me my money back even if the products were faulty.

welcome to Chinese logic

Drop ship method is being used by a lot of suppliers.
In many cases, the retailers don't even see the product.
That's one of the reasons of delay as well.
Retailers are told they can sell and they sell while the suppliers' drop ship location doesn't have them.
It's out of retailers' control many times as they have no idea of what's available or not physically since everything is dependent upon electronic communication.
So when everything is in sync, all is good but if a truck flips on the highway, it'll be a week before it reaches warehouses even if the orders are already there as in-stock. :D

Back