Another Mini 0806 failure - Bought from Gearbest

KorbenDallas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I thought I was going to be immune to the problems everyone has been talking about, but my mini 0806 is starting to fail. It doesn't hold a charge anymore and the other day, I caught several things on cam...or I thought I did. I went to get the videos from the cam and the damn thing didn't record anything!

I opened up a ticket with Gearbest and they have ignored me for about a week+ now. What are the chances that they will even replace this defective cam? It hasn't even been a year!

will probably be far less painful for you to order a suitable battery, open it up and change it yourself, will cost less than returning the camera

Let us know if you decide to replace the battery yourself and which one you end up going with.

will probably be far less painful for you to order a suitable battery, open it up and change it yourself, will cost less than returning the camera
Cheaper to buy a new cam than to post back to China ?

Well, I thought I was going to be immune to the problems everyone has been talking about, but my mini 0806 is starting to fail. It doesn't hold a charge anymore and the other day, I caught several things on cam...or I thought I did. I went to get the videos from the cam and the damn thing didn't record anything!

I opened up a ticket with Gearbest and they have ignored me for about a week+ now. What are the chances that they will even replace this defective cam? It hasn't even been a year!
I learned my lesson-Don't buy from gearbest!

Cheaper to buy a new cam than to post back to China ?

the US postal service won't take a camera to China, it's illegal, if you manage to get them to accept it then likely it would get picked up somewhere else along the way and never arrive so you'd lose it

to send to China you need to use a freight forwarder, DHL, Fedex etc, if you don't have an account with them you'd likely find the standard rate for non account holders would exceed the value of the camera, given the circumstances then yes, buying a $5 battery and installing it yourself ends up far less painful

this was a problem we recognized, the "warranty" they provide is not a viable solution for most people, that is why we offer our own warranty to our customers. It largely depends on the reseller/vendor, but most will probably ask you to deal with it yourself and send it back to the factory and if you are lucky they will exchange it.

From quality inspection prior to shipping from China and another quality inspection when we ship it to our customers. We are a small business so we are able to hand inspect each one that goes out to our customers.

If there is a defective product, we simply exchange it for our customers and deal with the defective device with the factory ourselves.

even if you got the camera back to China, you won't get a refund - just a credit to buy something else on their site. Try like I did - open a dispute with Paypal or your credit card company. It may be a lost cause though.....

You won't get any joy from Gearbest, this is the options they offered me, and mine was DOA.
After reviewing your case, please review our possible solutions:
1)Return the item back to us
You can return the item back to us in China as per our terms and conditions indicated in the link above.
Once we receive the item , we can exchange or offer a product refund( 67.7 USD) back to your GB wallet.As long as the item does not exceed the 45 day money back guarantee limit.

2)Keep the item and accept a partial refund on Wallet (credit)
We can offer a partial refund of your product value which is 18 USD on your wallet. This amount can be used for your future orders.

3)Resend a replacement (No return)
We can resend you a replacement but we kindly ask you cover partial cost of item and the shipping fee which is 45USD. We will then arrange a shipment and send you an invoice if you choose this option.

Can you please let me know your decision? You may check the cost of returning item back to us in China before deciding.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you for your understanding.

This is exactly what everyone gets - return to china, not u.s. where it came from & you get credit into the 'wallet' which is a store credit - no refund to the credit card. This is why I disputed and won.

So you ignored all the issues posted here with this model and still ordered thinking you have better luck than others.
Sorry, you brought it upon yourself regardless of the retailer.

It's not gearbest issue, it's the dashcam model.
Also, returns to almost all Chinese location is a hassle.

Last edited:
So you ignored all the issues posted here with this model and still ordered thinking you have better luck than others.

I tend to disagree - it is most definately Gearbest's issue.

1. Many of the 'issues' I had as a newbie were actually solvable and well known here. I wished last year I had found this site first. Gearbest is TOTALLY inept as far as tech support. They don't even know about the SD card 'issue' we talk about here. I had no reason to return the unit - I just didn't know it was the memory card and apparently they were clueless as well. Perhaps they should have been lurking in this website or AT LEAST pointed me to it for support. Many of the unhappiness they have caused they have brought on themselves.
2. They don't understand the 'model' many of our domestic companies have to keep the customers happy and maintain their reputation. Most American companies would not operate in the way they do. They ship from Staten Island and there is absolutely no reason why we can't ship it back to that location and let them handle it from there - that is good customer service. And I have called many American companies over the years with issues and a large number of them just give me my money back and tell me to keep or throw out the product. That is the way to keep customers and get future purchases - sort of like getting some money back on your restaurant bill if something was not to your satisfaction.
3. If you have a customer who is unhappy and want a refund and returns the product - you give them a refund using whatever method they paid for. You do not give a 'store credit' (they call it a 'wallet'). Think of it - if I am an unsatisfied customer with the quality of their products and want a refund, why the hoot would I want to be forced to buy another product from the same vendor. That makes absolutely no sense to me personally.

Not only will I not be buying from Gearbest anymore, but they are losing business from other potential customers who read here how many of us feel.

They lost my money which Visa gave me back anyway though I judge they don't really care and the actual loss (based on what they paid for them) was so small, they just brushed it off and moved on.

They also generate ill will for their industry and for direct purchases from China in general. When I purchase on eBay, I now look at only U.S. - based sellers. I am not surprised why there is such anger in the U.S. population about products made on the other side of the Pacific. Though I have no intentions of having a political debate here.

Last edited:

I disagree when you say it's the dash cam. What is lacking is quality control and customer service.

We're a small business and we handle all quality control ourselves, from China to the U.S, we run a quality check at the factory prior to shipment, and another prior to shipping to our customers. So far we have not run into any issues, except for a defective car charger. Granted we've only started in December.

In addition, our team is very knowledgeable about our product and we educate our customers when there are questions or concerns. We've learned a lot from dashcamtalk and its users by sitting on the sidelines before we dived into this business.

I disagree when you say it's the dash cam. What is lacking is quality control and customer service.

We're a small business and we handle all quality control ourselves, from China to the U.S, we run a quality check at the factory prior to shipment, and another prior to shipping to our customers. .

I have yet to see any Chinese reseller that gets their own independent QC done on their orders, that's very much an export market thing

I have yet to see any Chinese reseller that gets their own independent QC done on their orders, that's very much an export market thing

We have family there. And we've been doing business in China for almost 20 years in another industry.

I've been doing electronics since 1994, the domestic market product versus the export market product is very different, even when it's meant to be the same product, it's not

I've been doing electronics since 1994, the domestic market product versus the export market product is very different, even when it's meant to be the same product, it's not

We have an office there as well, in the Dongguan are. An entirely different industry. But we did pick up our own QC who has worked with electronics.

we are in the export/manufacturing business, our other business has been there since the 90s, back when there were still mud roads and no tall buildings :)

Back