On what setting should I put the battery drain protection?

kfirbep

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello everyone,
I have two vehicles that I installed in them Viofo A139, one is Chevrolet Equinox 2019, and the other one is Hyundai Elantra 2014. I was wondering on what setting should I put the battery drain protection at ( for each of the vehicles)? The settings I have are 11.8V, 12V, 12.2V, 12.4V.

Best practice is to use the highest setting which will allow you to get all the time you want, but never going below 12.2V

If your battery is in good condition a setting of 12.2V should work OK. With a new battery 12.0V might work till some wear sets in, but that level is pushing the battery hard and because of that I never recommend anything below 12.2V. A new battery might also be OK at 12.4V but it doesn't take a lot of battery wear before that setting will reduce recording times to just a few minutes.

With my A139 I have the HWK at 12.2V for battery safety and use the timer function as my primary control.

Phil

Do remember that the difference between life and death is only 1V. I would not set it lower than 12,2V which is 50%.
A battery is fully charged at 12,7V and discharged at 11,7V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One can only wonder why 11.8 cut off Voltage are a option in hard wire kits, 12.2 V is the lowest you should go, if you use allow it, for instance like me just using parking guard for 1 hour on the timer, then 12.4 will be fine.
You being in LA you probably dont experience the winter issues, but in sub zero temperatures the starter need to pull even more Amps to crank a cold engine, in a place with perpetual "summer" thats not much of a issue so then you just need to look out for increases wear on the battery which discharging to low voltages will do.

Lead /acid batteries not really meant to be deep discharged, they are more like a power storage for that all important crank of the motor, and thats about it.

You can buy dedicated power banks for dashcams based on the LiFePo batteries, but even those can not be discharged too deep, but they have build in protection of their own, so in that case i think it is OK to set a hard wire kits cut off to 11.8 to make sure the two protection systems dont work against each other.

No matter what route you go, you of course have to replenish what you have used parked by driving, and a car also charge a lot faster than a dashcam discharge it, but you can not be parked using parking guard for 23.5 hours a day and just drive 30 minutes daily, the 2 things have to be in sync.
But if you drive a hour maybe 2 every day, that would probably allow for doing parking guard the rest of the time,,,,,, though at home if possible i will recommend the use of CCTV to cover the car, i have that myself with a camera installed on my 2 floor balcony door, filming my car parked in the back yard.

peibox_CAM 1_main_20211225100900_@1.jpg

A + doind that is my CCTV have smart / AI motion detect, so only human or vehicle shapes in frame set off a notification on my phone and tablet on bedside table, and i value my sleep very much so dont want a alarm to go off due to a cat or rat near my car.
And as you can see i am zoomed in to be able to identify a perp, and of course to filter out any false alarms, there are other cars parking back there, but fortunately not many kids running around ASO
So this will probably not work good if you are parked curbside to a road at home as passers by will set off a alarm, but if you are in a driveway you can zoom in to not have the sidewalk or road traffic interfere, or in most cameras you can also specify a area of the frame where the alarm rules only apply so movement outside that area will not ruin your sleep.

Cameras in the car,,,,, well anything / some things on the glass will ruin recordings too, rain - snow - dew, maybe falling leaves and what not, so while i use parking guard, then i am weary of its limitations and challenges, and the 1 hour on the timer in the dashcam, that cover all my shopping, and i can always up the timer to more hours if i feel the need for it one day.

Last edited:
Just get a lithium battery, connect and forget. I have a 100A lithium and I never think about it. My fridge and cam are connected 24/7. I have them on up to a week without driving and it has never dropped under 30%.
A 40 km drive and the battery is fully charged at 99%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back