On your right!

kirby34

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR650S-1CH
Just a standard left turn as the 3rd car in line and then this happens.

When I'm the lead car, I'm usually good about looking both ways, but I sure wasn't expecting this as the 3rd car. I was so surprised, I neither honked my horn nor touched my brake. The "funny" thing is that, normally, I would've been closer to the car in front of me when making the turn, but I held back slightly only because I wanted the intersection to get more clear since I wanted to get to the far lane.

I took a closer look at the raw video and the driver was an older (than me) gentleman and it didn't look like he was holding a phone. He didn't seem to react to me at all - just kept looking straight ahead the whole time.

That guy blew through the intersection. Definitely too close for comfort.

Yeah that was a close call.
You can be as good a driver as anyone, but you can never account for morons like this.

Admittedly, that whole area doesn't have the greatest layout. There are a cluster of 3 sets of signals in a relatively small stretch in what can be an extremely congested area and the timing gets messed up quite often, especially at night. The fairly close proximity to that eyesore Apple Park (aka Apple Spaceship) doesn't help matters, though it was bad even before Apple moved in. The HP plant was bad enough. Heh.

Rather than start a new thread, this happened 2 days later as I was leaving our family New Year's Day dinner. I'm glad I was going to turn right anyway instead of left.

There's a special place "somewhere" for corner cutters. When I taught my daughter to drive, that was one of the first lessons: "Don't cut corners."

^^
Some of the side streets around here have "islands" or concrete bumps to try to dissuade drivers from cutting the corner, but quite few end up being removed after a short period. I've just assumed they were removed because they were deemed to be even more of a hazard, particularly at night. There's one such island that initially had a warning sign on a rigid metal post, but it kept getting knocked down (run over), so they started using a non-metal post with a hinge at the base so, theoretically, you could run over it and it would just "spring" back up. However, it still ends up needing to be replaced every few months.

Back