One Journey, two idiots...

sludgeguts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius x3, G1W held as spare.
Approach the lights in the correct lane - but someone doesn't feel the lanes are for their benefit...

And then, only half an hour later, some foreign muppet in an arctic tailgates me for about 8 miles at speeds of up to 60 mph THEN does the stupidest overtake I have ever seen...

It's so annoying that I have to drive a vehicle that is physically limited to 62mph & it would be physically impossible to perform an overtake like this - accelerating from 55mph - stupid mph in the blink of an eye.
All because Europe demands speed restrictors - so how comes they aren't fitting their own lorries then?

That overtake was ridiculous. I didn't know what an "arctic" was, so I wasn't sure what sort of vehicle was going to overtake you. But a tractor-trailer???? Crazy.

I didn't know what an "arctic" was, so I wasn't sure what sort of vehicle was going to overtake you. But a tractor-trailer????

Yes, you are correct. 'arctic' (artic), is the English shortened way to say 'articulated lorry' (tractor-trailer). - We all learn something new every day. :)

Last edited:
New to me too :)
The fastest "arctic" i have ever seen was doing 110 km/h, and i think the speedlimits for them was 70 back in the mid 9ties :eek:

Okay it was at 5 in there morning where i often did 160 where 110 was the max, but i dident see a reason to stick to the limit when i only saw 4-5 other motorists on my 60 km drive home after a 16 hour work day.
But trucks are supposed to be capped at ther max speed, but i guess there is ways around that.

when you said arctic and i saw that it referred to a lorry, i figured maybe it was a british name for a refrigerated trailer, since the arctic is of course, very cold.

as for speeders... it's common for them to defeat the governors on vehicles. if they can deliver their load faster then they can sleep or rest longer, or pick up another job and make more money. sure it's illegal and unsafe, but they don't care. it's all about the $$$$$.

probably the most scary experience i've ever had with 18-wheelers was on a boring stretch of I-10 somewhere in Louisiana. I had cruise control set at 80 mph in a 65 zone, and i noticed a pack of probably 6 or 8 big trucks gaining on me VERY fast. since the road ahead was empty for miles, i floored it to get up to 110 mph (yes, mph, not km/h!) as that's about as fast as that old car was capable of before it started getting light and squirrely. even though i was already doing 110, the trucks passed me on BOTH SIDES doing easily 130+ mph. did i mention that I-10 is only 2 lanes plus a semi-paved right shoulder? yeah - the trucks were passing me on the shoulder, too. with our combined speed and close proximity, i felt like i was getting bounced between them since their drafts were so strong and i was in between such large vehicles.

thankfully they passed without any contact and i was able to coast back down to my previous set speed of 80, but i had to take the next exit and uh... use the facilities. :eek:

Hah, shows where my assumptions get me-- I was assuming "arctic" meant it was a refrigerated truck...

Edit: Hah, figures Gibson99 would post the same thing at the same time.

No excuse for the Mazda driver, other than he may have been a stranger in the area but judging from the speed of his acceleration, I doubt it. White van man just couldn't make up his mind which lane to be in. I think he was spoilt for choice :D

The overtake by the artic driver was murderous. He could have caused a nasty accident. I can understand why he used the middle lane at the roundabout. If he'd used the right hand lane his trailer wheels would probably have mounted the kerb, but no excuse for not indicating.

I was expecting to see an Eskimo towing an Igloo on wheels.....

Sludgeguts, out out interest how did you 'enhance' the plate light that of the Mazda in the first video? From the youtube video at least, in that clip you showed, the plate can hardly be made out at all... Yet your zoomed in version is very clear

Hope you (or someone) can let me know please

Sludgeguts, out out interest how did you 'enhance' the plate light that of the Mazda in the first video? From the youtube video at least, in that clip you showed, the plate can hardly be made out at all... Yet your zoomed in version is very clear

Hope you (or someone) can let me know please

I paused the vid at about 40-odd seconds & took a still of the whole pic. I then inserted the pic onto the timeline and cropped the image - which also has the effect of zooming into the cropped area.

BTW people. I know the correct word is artic. No idea why I shoved the extra c! Must be my age, put it down to a 'senior moment'!

That lorry driver is insane and he definitely wants taking off the roads !!

BTW people. I know the correct word is artic. No idea why I shoved the extra c! Must be my age, put it down to a 'senior moment'!
still wouldn't have helped me as i've never heard the word artic or articulated applied to a big-rig before. only heard "articulated" for one of those buses with the accordion-looking hinge in the middle. it makes perfect sense to call a truck/trailer an articulated rig, as opposed to a "fixed" box-type truck though.

chalk it up to autocorrect, or a typo, whatever. i've seen people spell (and pronounce) the region around the north pole "artic". so it could still go either way. :p all in good fun. :D

I paused the vid at about 40-odd seconds & took a still of the whole pic. I then inserted the pic onto the timeline and cropped the image - which also has the effect of zooming into the cropped area.

Ha thanks, makes complete sense :D Not sure why, but I assumed that zoomed in image was from the same frame it was overlayed on, which is why I was wondering how it was so clear in the zoomed in part and not on the larger image haha

Ha thanks, makes complete sense :D Not sure why, but I assumed that zoomed in image was from the same frame it was overlayed on, which is why I was wondering how it was so clear in the zoomed in part and not on the larger image haha

Yeah, I kinda like to show the frame which shows them in the wrong & add pics from other frames where appropriate - sometimes you might get another frame showing a company name/logo or, as here, a better view of the plate.

Back