Opia 2 Micro SD Card Problem

TheDukeOfSpook

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I've had my Opia 2 for a while, more than a year if I remember correctly. Just recently, my dashcam stopped recognizing my SD card (Samsung Evo 64GB U3) for seemingly no reason. I tried another SD card and it also did not recognize it (the SD card that came with the camera). I've never had a problem with both SD cards and I've plugged them into my computer; they both work and I can read/create files on them. When I plug the SD cards into the dashcam, it stops beeping and saying that there is no SD card inserted, but it doesn't recognize the card and will not record. I'm hoping there is a fix to this problem, as obviously, this dash cam was pretty expensive. Can anyone help me? I can provide more information as needed.

Welcome to the forum Duke.
The memory cards are perishable, and though you can generally expect a couple of years of service, then some times they just cough out.
Have you checked the memory cards on a computer ? what happen most often is the card go into a read only state, so you should not be able to format it or move files to the card.
I have had 64GB high end U3 cards die on me before i got to fill them one time, and thats 2 times :cautious: but luckily the replacement cards have been performing normal so far.

But as you say you have also tried another memory card, then it might be the camera after all.
The second card have you used that before in the camera ? if not it might need a format on the computer before the Opia 2 will recognize it.

Dashcams can also die pretty fast, but i cant say i have noticed this happen uncommonly often with the Opia cameras, but vicovation are a brand that now at least seem to be falling off the wagon.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have checked both on the computer, but have recently gotten rid of the old one. So now I only have the Samsung Evo card. I currently have the card plugged into my computer and it is loading up fine. It has the DCIM and EMG files in there, although there is nothing in them right now. I also just plugged in my dashcam into a phone charger and plugged the card into it, still having the same problem, unfortunately. Here is a video of what happens when I plug in the micro sd card:

Shouldn’t put card in while the camera in on. Camera should be off before card is installed or removed. Try formatting the card with the program sdformatter.

My bad! I'll try not to do that in the future. I've tried the program you suggested and used the quick format and the overwrite format. Still having the same problem.

Edit: Does VicoVation have a support email or number? I looked for one but couldn't find it. The warranty on my camera is expired, but maybe they could still help troubleshoot?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it appears Vicovation is no longer making dash cameras, so your unlikely going to get any support from them.
I would definitely try another memory card though. I would also try reinstalling the firmware, I’m sure a copy of the firmware can be found online. If you cannot find one, I may have it.

Thanks for trying to help! I'll try the firmware solution later today and see what happens. Currently, I don't have another Micro SD I can use, that I know of. Considering they aren't in the business anymore, I may just go get a new dashcam from a better brand if reinstalling the firmware doesn't work.

So, trying to go onto the Vicovation website for the firmware, it seems like it's down? Or did it finally get shut down? Either way, I can't get access to the firmware at this time.

Back