Options to Replace Mobius (as a dashcam)

pm14

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius C2
Hello All,

It's been a few years since I've last been on here :)

I'm trying to figure out what my best options are to replace my Mobius, which I'm currently using as a dashcam (installed wider angle lens, replaced battery with supercapacitor, used software [I think I downloaded from this forum] to set it to power on/off when power was turned on/off, and I added some heat sinks to it).

It's still working perfectly fine, but it's 8+ years old and I'd like to have a replacement before it eventually does fail.

What are my options? I did some reading on the Mobius forum and saw that some of the newer Mobius models have reliability / quality concerns.

I'm just looking for something simple - starts recording when connected to power source, stops when disconnected. Probably something with a capacitor instead of battery. I don't want/need something with wifi/bluetooth/voice command/app features that most dashcams have these days. Just something simple and reliable. Preferably something sold in the US.

Is there anything like that still out there? All responses appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. One minor 'want' would be something where it's easy to keep the date timestamp updated, either with something on the device, or connecting it to a desktop periodically. I'd do that to keep my Mobius up to date, but the camera has outlasted the desktop the SW was on, and that SW always seemed to set off my antivirus, so bonus points if I wouldn't have to go through that again.

The original Mobius 1 camera is no longer available but the newer Mobius 1S model is. Compared to the other new Mobius models, the Mobius 1S has been very reliable. The camera offers 1440P resolution compared the original at 1080P resolution. It also has a G sensor that the original didn't have but the functionality and appearance is essentially identical to the original. You can buy it with the C2 lens and a super-capacitor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155659776440?itmmeta=01HSYYNC0Y4SR92AYF5ATP7QC1&hash=item243e0bb1b8:g:~TsAAOSwcVBkrMpz

Mobius 1S.jpg

I'm just looking for something simple - starts recording when connected to power source, stops when disconnected. Probably something with a capacitor instead of battery. I don't want/need something with wifi/bluetooth/voice command/app features that most dashcams have these days. Just something simple and reliable. Preferably something sold in the US.
Viofo VS1 ?

Yes, you need a phone app instead of a desktop computer for setup, but that is what makes it simple, and once set up there is nothing more to do, just use it like your Mobius, supercapacitor comes pre-installed!
P.S. One minor 'want' would be something where it's easy to keep the date timestamp updated,
It updates the time from GPS, always accurate.

If you don't have a smart phone then it is not suitable, but if you have, maybe time to give modern technology a go, the image quality is vastly superior, and you don't need to talk to it using voice if you don't want to, although you can!

Back