Over Mirror bracket mount Dash Camera

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
About year ago I was thinking about similar Interesting approach / design dash camera that could be mounted over mirror bracket. Now somebody read my mind and made it :) . Maybe not fully 100% what I had in my mind ,but approach is quite similar what I thought.

According to correspondence table it fits over 200 different car makes / models.
It can be connected to car multimedia system or any other portable external display that has Video RCA AUX Input for operating and file viewing.

Although specs are not that great ( only 720p ), but mounting idea is interesting.
Similar approach has been already take by OEM VW and Audi .
If only they could use much better hardware and higher specs, then for sure it would be popular on the western dash cam market. Of course we can not call it fully discrete installation, but at least its right in the centre of the wind-shield and not obstructing driver view, also buttons to operate are easy to reach.

Price ins China is about 90usd

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

a9.jpg

a10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"808" name again. Must be a lucky number in China :)

Camera mount good but 720p bad :(

Maybe later make 1080P version 30 fps and I can buy :)

iPhone 'den Tapatalk aracılığı ile gönderildi

Interesting idea. Unfortunately would not work on my mirror, it has a large cover on it already for the wires for the self dimming mirror, the rain sensor for the auto wipers and the another sensor I dont even know what for!
Something I thought of, and it might not fit, is to take apart a dash cam/DVR and integrate it into the mirror. Would have to figure out which one would had decent specs, was easy to take apart and would be easy to make fit. Probably just a pipe dream but hey we can all dream.

I don't even think it's 720p. Website says 640x480.

Screen Shot 2013-12-22 at 2.36.28 PM.png

640X480 Wtf we are living in 2005 ? Or 2014

iPhone 'den Tapatalk aracılığı ile gönderildi

"808" name again. Must be a lucky number in China :)

The number 8 is indeed considered lucky or "auspicious" in China. For example, some may recall the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China. The games began with the opening ceremony in the Bird's Nest Stadium on August 8th, 2008 (8/8/08) at 8PM China Standard time.

I don't even think it's 720p. Website says 640x480.

View attachment 2859

You right, but it says model 808E, maybe E = Experimental, or Entry ? ;)
And later ( now ) they have upgraded to 720p ?
In any case non of them suits me, or most other users. These days western market looks for at least 1080p / 30fps , minimum 11-12 Mbps ( better 15Mbps ) and with good low light sensitivity CMOS.
It is not that expensive to incorporate lets say similar solution like Mobius, Innovv or any other budget price-range dash cams based on NT96650 + AR0330 to get good video recording, so hope that company ( or any other competitor ) will produce similar solution but with higher standards.

Yes I know it is, it was more of a tongue in cheek comment. Good thing it's not 666 :)

Oh no, not 666!!

(Sorry I kinda' missed your smiley face emoticon when I read your post....... and also thought the 8/8/08 factoid would be interesting to some who weren't aware of it.)

Good idea.
Mine was better. :cool: A flat camera attached on the back of the rearview mirror using 2 clips.

enjoy,
Mtz

Good idea.
Mine was better. :cool: A flat camera attached on the back of the rearview mirror using 2 clips.

enjoy,
Mtz

I was thinking since first Mobius came out to use it platform and do similar solution using fibre-glass DIY over rearview mirror bracket ;). Maybe Innovv can also do the job, but probably at this stage Mobius would be preferable due to having option of lens extension. In theory its not that complicated, just a lot of time consuming on fibre-glassing, making moulds, polishing, sanding, painting, measuring, testing ,etc., but it can be done DIY.

I was thinking since first Mobius came out to use it platform and do similar solution using fibre-glass DIY over rearview mirror bracket ;). Maybe Innovv can also do the job, but probably at this stage Mobius would be preferable due to having option of lens extension. In theory its not that complicated, just a lot of time consuming on fibre-glassing, making moulds, polishing, sanding, painting, measuring, testing ,etc., but it can be done DIY.

You might be able to have someone with a 3D printer make the rear view mirror bracket rather than put so much time & effort into a fiberglass project. http://www.makexyz.com/

You might be able to have someone with a 3D printer make the rear view mirror bracket rather than put so much time & effort into a fiberglass project. http://www.makexyz.com/

I have been thinking about that but for 3d print you need exact bluprint which I dont have. Exact first design always evolves during work process. Its more creative test and try at the beginning. After first prototype is done, then yes - later models can be 3D printed.

I have been thinking about that but for 3d print you need exact bluprint which I dont have. Exact first design always evolves during work process. Its more creative test and try at the beginning. After first prototype is done, then yes - later models can be 3D printed.

I don't know much about 3D printing but it seems many designs are created with CAD software that can produce a model the 3D printer can read. There are apparently some free CAD software packages available. The prototyping stage can be "virtual" until a design is finalized.

I don't know much about 3D printing but it seems many designs are created with CAD software that can produce a model the 3D printer can read. There are apparently some free CAD software packages available. The prototyping stage can be "virtual" until a design is finalized.

Yes, I know CAD, but even before CAD any "designer" need to have hard prototype to work from with measurements. Same like "they" design a car design / shape, making it on the first place from clay and only then doing 3D laser scan, and after that advanced AutoCAD, then production. So every design involves different stages. I guess @jokiin could lighten up us more how things work if he has time to write short summary from A to Z on product casing / design ;)

Yes, I know CAD, but even before CAD any "designer" need to have hard prototype to work from with measurements. Same like "they" design a car design / shape, making it on the first place from clay and only then doing 3D laser scan, and after that advanced AutoCAD, then production. So every design involves different stages. I guess @jokiin could lighten up us more how things work if he has time to write short summary from A to Z on product casing / design ;)

honestly it would be too hard to try and sum it up so simply, the process is very involved, our product might look quite simple but the mold is 15 pieces, there are 5 PC boards inside and a few hundred components, getting that all together into one working product is a massive task, even with all the right tools at hand and the right people, there are multiple prototype versions, many different design changes and tweaks along the way, it's not for the feint hearted that's for sure

honestly it would be too hard to try and sum it up so simply, the process is very involved, our product might look quite simple but the mold is 15 pieces, there are 5 PC boards inside and a few hundred components, getting that all together into one working product is a massive task, even with all the right tools at hand and the right people, there are multiple prototype versions, many different design changes and tweaks along the way, it's not for the feint hearted that's for sure

I assumed that.
Here is your answer to earlier rised "easy" 3D print, which is actually is not that easy in real life.

I assumed that.
Here is your answer to earlier rised "easy" 3D print, which is actually is not that easy in real life.

printing something in 3D is easy, we bought a 3D printer specifically for printing out our design changes so we could check them (what looks good on screen can look very different once you print it) getting to the stage of 3D printing though was still a few months work and this is for a designer that has been doing this for 10 years, there's a lot more going on inside the design than most people would appreciate, this is not comparable to the CPL filter brackets people have been making, once you need to start locating components and have them line up accurately it starts getting very intense

printing something in 3D is easy, we bought a 3D printer specifically for printing out our design changes so we could check them (what looks good on screen can look very different once you print it) getting to the stage of 3D printing though was still a few months work and this is for a designer that has been doing this for 10 years, there's a lot more going on inside the design than most people would appreciate, this is not comparable to the CPL filter brackets people have been making, once you need to start locating components and have them line up accurately it starts getting very intense

My suggestion about using a 3D printer using an online source of independent fabricators was in reply to Niko's idea in post #12 about making a fiberglass over mirror bracket that could house a Mobius. I put it out there thinking it might be a more elegant and expedient method of doing a DIY project than working with fiberglass. Obviously, designing and prototyping an entire product that is intended for production (including injection molding) is a different animal altogether. So, I guess the home-brew 3D idea was probably more in the spirit of the CPL filter brackets, only a bit more complex.

Back