Can I put/ use static film on black dot matrix screen behind rear view mirror?

ozguy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Street Gaurdian, A229 plus
Hey Guys,
Can I put/ use static film on black dot matrix screen behind rear view mirror and attach the dashcam to the static film?
Or even half glass/half black dot matrix...
Or does it need to go on the glass only?
Will the static film peel off with the weight of the Cam because it is on the black dots and not the windscreen?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
Can I put/ use static film on black dot matrix screen behind rear view mirror?
Or even half glass/half black dot matrix...
Or does it need to go on the glass only?
Thanks.
If I'm not mistaken you can put it anywhere same with dash cams.

I think if the surface is smooth there then yes, but in my car at least that matrix are sort of " glued " to the glass and far from smooth so in my car i dont think it would work.

I think if the surface is smooth there then yes, but in my car at least that matrix are sort of " glued " to the glass and far from smooth so in my car i dont think it would work.
hmmm..:unsure:

You do not need to use the static sticker, the sticky pad will stick fine to dots.

If you do use the static sticker, you can cut it down to size, which might help not cover the dots, it only needs to be the same size as the sticky pad, the last one I used, I cut into 4 quarters, and it was still big enough. There is no advantage to being bigger, other than that it is a bigger target for sticking your camera to.

As said above, if the dots are not completely smooth then the static sticker will not stick properly, and even if it is only the edge that is over the dots, that gives opportunity for it to peel off.

You do not need to use the static sticker, the sticky pad will stick fine to dots.

If you do use the static sticker, you can cut it down to size, which might help not cover the dots, it only needs to be the same size as the sticky pad, the last one I used, I cut into 4 quarters, and it was still big enough. There is no advantage to being bigger, other than that it is a bigger target for sticking your camera to.

As said above, if the dots are not completely smooth then the static sticker will not stick properly, and even if it is only the edge that is over the dots, that gives opportunity for it to peel off.
Good point.

I doubt static film has enough holding power to carry the weight of a dash cam. But, it's a simple enough test to try.

I doubt static film has enough holding power to carry the weight of a dash cam. But, it's a simple enough test to try.
yeah true... The A229 is a chunky cam.

About 1Kg per square cm, which is plenty for any dashcam. (14.7 pounds per square inch... metric numbers are far simpler!)

It is held on by vacuum, the "static" just provides an airtight seal around the edge, and it normally has some sort of glue to ensure the seal. The reason the dots are a problem is that they break the seal, same as with a suction cup mount.

About 1Kg per square cm, which is plenty for any dashcam. (14.7 pounds per square inch... metric numbers are far simpler!)

It is held on by vacuum, the "static" just provides an airtight seal around the edge, and it normally has some sort of glue to ensure the seal. The reason the dots are a problem is that they break the seal, same as with a suction cup mount.
Ok Guys, tried it...you are right Nigel lasted about an hour. I ended up placing the cam on the right right on the dot matrix.

Attachments

• tt10.png
    tt10.png
    331 KB · Views: 18
Back