Overall video quality

I still think the A129 has better image quality than the A229. What are people thoughts on this image? To be fair I've posted a well lit day image. The camera really seems to struggle in low light.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 11.20.01.jpg

I suspect there is some out of focus issue when the camera gets hot. My A229 as well will be in focus sometimes and out of focus others, and the only thing I can tie it to is the heat of the day and later into longer drives.

I suspect there is some out of focus issue when the camera gets hot. My A229 as well will be in focus sometimes and out of focus others, and the only thing I can tie it to is the heat of the day and later into longer drives.

The A119 Mini 2 had the same problem which has now been addressed. I guess the A229 will need to get the same remedy.

Focus coming and going, might actually also be a broken lens, but if it revert to OK when cold / or what ever it is then, then it is probably not the lens but a focus / mount issue.

I hope the good PPL at Viofo have not cut corners too hard in order to come up with a good price.

Yeah, when dash cam lenses go in and out of focus due to contraction from overheating and cooling it is always a problem with the lens holder and not the lens itself.

Many, if not most dash cam lenses these days use FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) lens holders (barrels). FRP is usually highly dimensionally stable, but apparently not all of them are. Metal lens holders are the preferred way to go but we don't see them as much anymore. Metal lens holders are cast and then machined which makes them more expensive whereas FRP holders are popped out of a mold.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D A229 / A229 Duo 4
Back