overheating

link627

Reaction score
Country
Canada
hello everyone,

i had my mini 0803 for quite some time and i love it. Recently...it started acting up on me because of the heat...any way to overcome this? I really love this dash cam and dont want to replace it.

Some people drill dozens of holes into housing ( shell ), this help heat dissipation and make unit to work more stable.

Thank you for the quick reply...do we have any take apart videos of the mini 0803?

I just keep one of my a/c vents pointed towards it, never gets even warm and I live in the Caribbean.

I live in Alaska and mine melted this summer! It has been a problem since I bought it (startup chime loop lock, battery doesn't hold a charge, overheating) then it melted and popped open, exactly like the other pictures. And now they want me to ship it back to China so they can "repair" it. Probably not worth the money. I bought it after returning 3 0801's with issues like overheating or terrible picture quality. Or was it 2 0801's and 1 0803? I can't remember, but this whole 080x thing has me really annoyed.

Picture of my cam...

Attachments

• 2015-07-01 Melted Dash Cam (3)e.JPG
    2015-07-01 Melted Dash Cam (3)e.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 43
It has been some time since my cam melted. I had contacted the seller (Fox Offer I think) right after that and was told to send it back to China, but I could never get an address from them to mail it to, they just stopped responding to email. I set it aside and forgot about it.

After 5 failed Mini 080xx cams I bought a Street Guardian and it has worked great and they have been very responsive with any issues I have contacted them about.

I certainly would like to get my money back on that defective Mini cam, but it looks like that company doesn't really care to help me, even though as time goes by I see there are more and more of them melted down. It is not an isolated issue. Last time I buy anything straight from China as sending it back would probably cost more than it is worth. Makes any kind of warranty null.

Well, I was just looking at different cameras that have come out since the 080x fiascos I have endured and wandered back to my old threads. I have decided to say as I now see others have.....Fox Offer sucks. I have never been able to get a return address for this camera and it sits here with its bloated battery and cracked case reminding me of the money I lost on it. I should be happy my truck wasn't burned by it, but that does not make me any happier about the situation.

Maybe you should PM the cam manufacturer "Viofo" here in DCT as he is also in business as FoxOffer ;)

Phil

Member @billnow used to handle service questions for FoxOffer but curiously he is no longer a registered member here. I assume he is the "Bill" who is sometimes mentioned in reference to Viofo here and there. Perhaps he is now the person behind the @viofo membership? @FoxOffer is still active occasionally and @spotmom might try contacting them directly as well as @viofo.

I've been a customer of FoxOffer several times in the past and my experience was generally positive for the most part.

Unfortunately, the earlier mini-080x series of cameras had a reputation for swelling batteries and overheating,

Unfortunately, the earlier mini-080x series of cameras had a reputation for swelling batteries and overheating,

When I was researching my first cam purchase I wanted a Mini- it did everything I wanted. Back then batteries were the norm, few cams had supercaps. But the Mini series were ungraceful when aging; 1 - 2 years were all most people got from them so I think @spotmom understands why I decided to avoid the Mini's. Over time on DCT I also noticed the Mini factory rep would show up to introduce new cams then disappear afterward, leaving behind a trail of problematic cams and dissatisfied customers who were left to figure out solutions on their own if they could. Mini has a new cam developing and the nearly same thing is happening with the same factory rep, but he was here working on some beta-testing issues which was an improvement, but still....

I am one of many who will never buy a Mini product until almost everyone reports perfect operation after at least 2 years of hot-weather usage with it. That's as much because of the factory rep as it is the cam.

Are you listening @Rayman.Chan, @JooVuu, @Isoprop (Mobius), and @viofo? I (and many others) are not happy with people who disappear instead of facing and fixing their cam's issues. We have other choices and we can spend our money elsewhere if we want to ;)

Phil

Hi Phil,
just want you know we are still provide after service for the 0801 cameras on 2013 which obviously out of warranty. If it is a small problem it is ok for us to repair easily for free.
this also works on the later models.

if you need after service help, you can mail to service@megcn.com directly, or send mail to me at rayman@megcn.com or even send a PM. Otherwise how can we know you need help?
please understand we have daily works to focus on, I can only login DCT in the nights or on weekend, or maybe "disappear" for days even weeks.

Rayman @MEGtech

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Mini 0803 39
Back