Panorama S focus and CPL problems

Makke

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I think that my Panorama S is out of focus. Middle of picture is blurry and not focused. None of firmwares makes no different. Maybe video quality is better in edges but no in center. I attach some of pictures and raw videos. Videos are V1.12.06 firmwares with 12Mbps and 15Mbps

https://mega.co.nz/#!NpZA1ZDC!iy8dFvc9gTo54qoxsjgQdShtxOuBH2yPvO-WO3pHTws [CPL FILTER OFF / ON / RAINBOW EFFECT / BLURRY]

https://mega.co.nz/#!QspETCAa!SpaRb8RX2whwQSu-ekhVrBXDYZTMRucCQ0acSZaOB9Q [NO CPL FILTER / BLURRY]

https://mega.co.nz/#!1w5BnSzD!v153C2h70kIj21iztieKR1H0p4IJ5A8MMvNBz7-aDO0 [CPL FILTER OFF / ON / RAINBOW EFFECT / BLURRY]

Windscreen is clean as it can be. Lens and CPL filter also.

And with CPL filter there is rainbow effect in picture.

What do you guys think. Is it out of focus? Is that rainbow effect because it's out of focus or is it because there could be some problem with CPL filter?

Attachments

• panorama_s_001.jpg
    panorama_s_001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 198
  • panorama_s_002.jpg
    panorama_s_002.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
1. It is necessary to adjust the focus on the range, but having to look at the clarity of the images on the edges
2. CPL filter Good color, removes glare, but the license plates are read worse. We have to choose what you needed. I hope you know that the filter is configured circular rotation.
3. The firmware does not affect the focus (those that are in stock)

It is a new camera with warranty valid. Isn't it that if I adjust focus by myself then warranty void. Because camera has to be disassembled?

It's no matter how I rotate CPL filter there is always that rainbow effect.

In my opinion it's out of focus. Comparing my picture to niko's picture...

My camera:
panorama_s_001-jpg.5398

niko's camera
untitled-2-jpg.4948
untitled-3-jpg.4949

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this rainbow effect exist always when driving car or only on some moments ?

When using CPL filter on the move, it slightly reduces numberplates reading ( slightly blurry ), but when car is stand still then with or without CPL should be same sharpness.

Rainbow effect is especially when sun is shining but it always occurs in some way...

Picture is blurry with CPL filter and without it.

Those videos I attach can see this effect and blurriness.

Last edited:
Rainbow effect is especially when sun is shining but it always occurs in some way...

Picture is blurry with CPL filter and without it.

Those videos I attach can see this effect and blurriness.

edit.

Sorry for double... :oops:

Last edited:
Could you guys watch those videos which I attached and tell your opinions... :)

Very expensive camera and quality is this... :(

Maybe I have to contact the seller...

I just got a Pano 2s as well and my videos look pretty much the same as yours. I haven't really put much effort into fixing it yet but I'm hoping to get to it in the next day or so. It's not just you. :)

Could you guys watch those videos which I attached and tell your opinions... :)

Very expensive camera and quality is this... :(

Maybe I have to contact the seller...

Checked your raw / original video files. Need focus adjustment. This is not complicated procedure, but before you start doing it, - ask seller if he is OK with this that you try to adjust yourself without voiding warranty, or he will replace it.

I just got a Pano 2s as well and my videos look pretty much the same as yours. I haven't really put much effort into fixing it yet but I'm hoping to get to it in the next day or so. It's not just you. :)

Where did you buy yours from? RoadCam hasn't had any reports of bad focus yet from our customers. (and we've sold quiet a few)

Last edited:
Checked your raw / original video files. Need focus adjustment. This is not complicated procedure, but before you start doing it, - ask seller if he is OK with this that you try to adjust yourself without voiding warranty, or he will replace it.

Ok. I will contact seller. Thank you so much niko to tell your opinion.

Where I can find step by step instructions how to adjust focus? I found this thread Picture not well focused - how to correct? but is there any other instructions? If it's possible could that thread be sticky? Or add instructions to "Consolidated Panorama II FAQ & useful links" thread.

I got mine from Amazon, the seller was DGTLSYSTEMS. I have found on mine that the black ring around the lens is pretty easily adjustable. The problem is the screen being such low resolution I have to take a video, remove the card look at it on my laptop, then repeat because I can't really tell if it's in focus or not on the cam. That's making this a challenging task.

I got mine from Amazon, the seller was DGTLSYSTEMS. I have found on mine that the black ring around the lens is pretty easily adjustable. The problem is the screen being such low resolution I have to take a video, remove the card look at it on my laptop, then repeat because I can't really tell if it's in focus or not on the cam. That's making this a challenging task.

Maybe they got a bad batch? It was a mystery why DGTLSYSTEMS started selling on Amazon for a short time anyway since RoadCam has an Amazon exclusive in North America.
We think they bought a 2nd hand batch from SHPKOREA. They finally removed their product from Amazon after going back and forth a bit.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...fi-wf1-new-custom-dvrs.4872/page-2#post-67433

But getting back to your problem, Niko and others have successfully re-focused the Panorama for those rare times you need to really dial it in perfect. The other option is to RMA the one you got and we would be happy to provide you with a new one from RoadCam.
Our batch is bought directly from the source (SungMoon) and is performing quite well. (happy customers)

I contacted seller. He said that I send camera to him and they adjust focus and send it back. I should pay both way costs. They told reshipping to me from Korea cost 23USD.

What is policy to this? They sell and send camera with out of focus and warranty valid. In my opinion I should not have to pay shipping cost at all... From Finland it is quite expensive send to foreign countries.

Overall...

I am little bit disappointed. I think that over 200USD camera should provides better quality.

Hopefully everything goes well...

BTW...

Is CPL filter rainbow effect cause because lens is out of focus?

Last edited:
I confirmed all the Panorama units we recently got in stock have been pre-checked to be in-focus. No reports of problems from my customers yet. I informed SungMoon to look into why the other Korea international supplier has a few of these focus reports though.

What is policy for this? How others have worked with shpkorea if they have had to send camera back to Korea because lens out of focus?
Policy will be as per whatever they state on their eBay listing, their trading terms are irrelevant to whatever make or model product you bought

Back