Parking Guard - Loses 3 Seconds Switching from 2FPS to 30FPS?

AndrewL

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was testing the parking guard features and I noticed there was a gap between files either from impact or when motion is detected.

I'm using the latest 2017.10.13 firmware. Is this intended outcome?
I feel you can lose important footage during this time.

Extra Question: Is it only the 10.13 firmware where the rear camera will be used for parking guard which is motion detection?

From what I understand this is different than the action motion detection setting which is used during normal recording. Am I correct?

Last edited:
Hi AndrewL,

the same problem & question was in beta cam. But without any answers...
Looks like all mini's missing 2-3 s in Parking Guard mode. The same on mini 0903.

when the camera detected a motion or impact in parking mode, it will
1, stop currect recording, end the file,
2, switch fps setting
3, index all files (this step will take a while depends on card capacity)
4, delete the oldest file
5, create a new file
6, start new recording
the procedure will take seconds that is why you found there is video gap.
when you use a large microSD card, the gap will be little longer.

Extra Question: Is it only the 10.13 firmware where the rear camera will be used for parking guard which is motion detection?

in the old firmwares only front camera will active mode switching

Thanks for the detailed explanation Rayman. I can understand why it takes so long and the update was quite useful. I'm concerned that the delay can cause the Mini to skip recording the impact in a car accident and possibly the license plate depending on the angle.

It's difficult to recommend people use this camera for parking mode. I know development takes a while but will there be an option in the future for a buffered parking mode triggered by either the G-Sensor or Motion Detection?

when the camera detected a motion or impact in parking mode, it will
2, switch fps setting
5, create a new file
6, start new recording
Hi @Rayman.Chan,
can you provide detailed algorithm what happens when cam is in driving mode?

For me little bit strange that cam not leaves any gaps in Driving mode between saving/deleting video files every 1/3/5 min.
Between saved video files frames flows evenly one by one. I guess working the same algorithm, but only from step 3 to step 6?

What will happen in Parking mode with files if you try this one improvement:
2, switch fps setting
5, create a new file
6, start new recording

5-6 frames of video streaming (2FPS on 2-3 s of gap) I think could be very important if you could catch them...

in fact, the mode swtiching in DSP and image sensor take the long time.
files index, delete and create is very quick.

buffer recording only works when signal channel recording, and NOT work if there is image mode switching. (the buffer is cleanup when switched to new mode)

I'm after a dual camera with parking guard and am considering an 0906 but this seems like a big flaw? If I'm understanding it correctly whilst in parking mode every time the camera detects something potentially interesting/incriminating happening via motion or shock sensing, it stops recording for a few seconds whilst it switches from timelapse to full recording mode so could miss the money shot? If the switch can't be handled seamlessly wouldn't it be better to continue recording at 5fps and use the shock/motion sensors to indicate to store the recording as an event?

in the Nov.06 firmware we upgraded the Parking Guard logic and optimized in Nov.21 firmware.
Now there are two options in Parking Guard setting:
1, Motion Trigger: in this mode, the detected motion will switch the parking 720P2 lapse video to 720P30, then switch back to 720P2 when quiet;
2, Always Lapse: in this mode, the camera will always be 720P2 laspe recording if in Parking Guard status. motion detection will not effect.
in both the modes, the G-sensor will work for file protecting.

hope this can help to satisfy different users.

Just to report back on the new firmware. I put it in last night and it didn't activate until this morning due to low battery but I did change to the timelapse setting. I then parked up in a public car park - plenty of people, cars and tree movement.

No switching to the higher frame rate and it stuck in 720p which is great. Once I got in the car and started driving - bingo it moved back to 1080p and 30fps.

So - so far - looks like it's working perfectly.

What's the file rotation on the lower frame rate? It didn't rotate every 3 minutes - so I presume it's actually 45 minutes? (the equivalent of 3 minutes @ 30fps but @ 2fps instead)

Back