Parking Guard mini 0806

missile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was disappointed to find Parking Guard does not come as standard. Apparently I need an optional Parking Guard mounting bracket, where can I obtain this?
I also note Parking Guard is not an option on my menu for software 0806GD20150511V1.0. Does this mean Parking Guard cannot be enabled?
Please advise

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I really wanted parking mode. My vehicle was damaged whilst parked outside my flat by a hit and run driver. I wanted a dash cam so that I may be able to identify the culprit should it happen it the future. I feel that I have been misled by the sales blurb which claimed there was a parking mode. I think I shall return this camera for refund. Looks like Blackvue may be a better option for me.

Not just the sellers. The manufacturer's website http://mini0806.com/spec.html and user manual and I read a review which claimed Mini0806 dash cam had Parking Mode.

Maybe I could just let the camera run 24/7, overwriting as and when my 64GB micro card was full. I am intending to hard wire. Would that work?

Maybe I could just let the camera run 24/7, overwriting as and when my 64GB micro card was full. I am intending to hard wire. Would that work?

that will lead to the early demise of your camera as others that have done this before have found out, not a good idea with any camera really, even less so if it has a battery inside

If I were to set options to motion detect perhaps this would reduce the strain on the camera and reduce drain on car battery whilst vehicle is parked?

It's a bit less work for the memory card but for the rest of it it's business as usual, same load on the battery and just as hard on the camera

Ah well, seems I bought the wrong camera. Act in haste repent at leisure. I note the Blackvue 650 sends a message to your mobile in the event that it detects an impact. Perhaps this would have been a better option?

Ah well, seems I bought the wrong camera. Act in haste repent at leisure. I note the Blackvue 650 sends a message to your mobile in the event that it detects an impact. Perhaps this would have been a better option?

the Blackvue isn't without its challenges either, the notification system requires an always on internet connection for it to offer this function (costs money), a lot of people haven't been too enamoured with the firmware that offers this function as the bitrate is lower to allow the cloud functionality to work, you win somewhere, you lose somewhere else

The 2 channel 650 costs £279 in the UK. You'll want 2 of them for front, rear & side coverage, plus ancillaries, so this solution is over £600.

The 650 is overpriced for what it is. It's video quality isn't good enough to justify the price tag. Neither is it's reliabilty or after-sales support.

Depending on for how many hours you want to record when the car is parked, you could get the job done for less than £250 with a pair of BlackSys CF-100 cams, or 4 Mobius cams.

As for messages informing of an impact, so what? The incident has (hopefully) been recorded to the memory card, & being made aware of it sooner won't change anything.

Many thanks for your advice.

Internet connection is off when ignition is off .... so message alert would not work.

Ideally I would want a camera to record whenever and wherever the car is parked, but I appreciate that would flatten the car battery.

Last edited:
Ideally I would want a camera to record whenever and wherever the car is parked, but I appreciate that would flatten the car battery.

I prefer to avoid using the car battery to power a dashcam for hours when parked. Car batteries are not ideal for sustained parasitic power drainage.

When my car is parked, I use a power bank to run my SGZC12RC in pre-buffered motion detect mode. Works well for me, & no worries that the car might not start.

Power bank may be the way to go. Sod's Law dictates that my car would be damaged on the one evening when I forget to connect the power bank. I am looking for an always on solution.

Have you considered solar panel? Obviously this would only work during day. My thinking was my car battery would be man enough to provide power overnight and panel could supplement charging the next day.

Hi! I am new here and new to dashcams. Here is my intention (and I have the kit). A plug into the cigar lighter of my Ford. The other end connected with terminal block to the hardwire kit cable (then plugged into the 0806 camera). A 12 volt 7 Amp/hr sealed battery under the passenger seat. A connecting cable from this battery to the terminal block. Motion detection switched on. 128 Gig card already installed. Job done!

Hi! I am new here and new to dashcams. Here is my intention (and I have the kit). A plug into the cigar lighter of my Ford. The other end connected with terminal block to the hardwire kit cable (then plugged into the 0806 camera). A 12 volt 7 Amp/hr sealed battery under the passenger seat. A connecting cable from this battery to the terminal block. Motion detection switched on. 128 Gig card already installed. Job done!

Hey, I have been looking for this answer well over 5 days.
Yes, we all share the same issue. The camera will record when driving, but that is not our concern. Our Concern is when the car is parked and an idiot vandalizes our vehicles - keying commonly occurs.

Can you further describe what you did here? I am looking to install two cameras - Front and Back to ensure security. And A second battery installation isn't an issue.

Thanks and really appreciate your str8 forward answer. There is way too much confusion in this line.

Hi!

Yes, we both have a similar interest. I want protection when driving and when I am out and parked up. Additionally to that, when my car is parked up on my drive, if my dash cam is recording, it'll be like an external CCTV camera - though If I am to use it like that, I may well have to switch to Motion Activation.

Anyway, today was the that I successfully installed my always-on set-up ... though saying that, it's not on now because I brought the dash cam in to view the footage from today.

Right, what I have is a 25 amp cigar lighter plug (from eBay). I had a smaller switched one before with a light but this was only 2 amp; it started to get hot and melt. I have fitted this 25 amp cigar lighter plug has a reasonably thick flex containing a pair of wires. The plug is plugged into the cigar lighter socket 0f my Ford C-Max, whilst the other end is connected to a 12 volt, 7 amp/hr sealed battery placed under the passenger seat. the idea being is that this battery is kept charging all the while the car is live. A Ford will switch off this power socket within half hour of the car being vacated ... so the car's battery cannot be discharged by this set-up. Fed from this battery is an 0806 hardwire kit (that's the long lead with little tiny step-down box). It is claimed that this box will also prevent complete battery discharge (thus protecting the under-seat battery).

A note of caution here: if the camera fails as a result of this set-up, it's not the end of the world: it's a £70 camera but wherever there is a battery there is a danger of fire. I have not yet wired in an in-line fuse but I may well do that after the battery. I was in the car when I smelt plastic melting on my first set-up. As I say, this was because the switch/plug was under-rated.

I have hear varrious ravings about the Power Magic Pro. I suspect that this is a similar thing but uses lithium batteries and has more protection. It certainly won't have the endurance.

By the sounds of things, it'd seem like a good idea to re-format the card each day or at least very regularly.

I have two 120 GB micro sd card in my camera but, as others have said, it doesn't switch between A & B card automatically. This is unfortunate as I could have had about 31 hours of full HD 21;9 footage ... now I will only get half that.

I am sure that there will be more to be said on this issue.

Respect and regards,
:)
S.G.

(I am not qualified to give advice and am not offering advice)

I have an aversion to connecting two batteries directly together in parallel under any circumstances. If they are different spec, and at different charge levels, even more so.
What might be a bit safer is one of those jumpstarter devices, the ones with a built-in battery that can start your car and then be charged via cigar plug. They - hopefully - have a charging circuit that prevents excessive surge currents etc.
They are rather bulky though, wouldn't fit under a car seat, at least the ones I've seen.

Back