Parking lot accident

Are we sure this wasn't an insurance scam? The more I watch, the more odd I find the black van's movements.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Are we sure this wasn't an insurance scam? The more I watch, the more odd I find the black van's movements.
Hard to say. I didn't tell him that I had it on video. It would be funny if the van driver tries to get 'witnesses' to prove his case. I would love to be a fly on the wall for that. :sneaky:

Give-way markings would have saved a hell of a lot of confusion, I wouldn't say the driver of the brown car was distracted, I'd say they just took for granted that the van would stop, and maybe the van driver did the same

when you see a car approach a roundabout in this country you tend to continue your course, assuming that the car will (as it is legally supposed to) stop... but even then they sometimes don't... can we still argue that we should have "seen it coming"?

(...)and also why some people getting out of a parking bay cant use the whole throw of their steering and by doing that only have to reverse one time.
Add to that not utilising all the space behind the car. It's always a sign that a lot of things are not right with the driver.

Add to that not utilising all the space behind the car. It's always a sign that a lot of things are not right with the driver.
I always back in so that I have a clear view when I'm trying to leave. I find it much easier (and safer) to back in rather than backing out of a parking spot.

I always back in so that I have a clear view when I'm trying to leave. I find it much easier (and safer) to back in rather than backing out of a parking spot.
I'm not afraid to back out of parking spots. I see it as a challenge to my parking skills, but that's just me. :D
In parking lots like that one, where the bays are straight, you can choose how to park but if the bays are diagonal you can find yourself in an awkward position. ;)

I'm not afraid to back out of parking spots. I see it as a challenge to my parking skills, but that's just me. :D
In parking lots like that one, where the bays are straight, you can choose how to park but if the bays are diagonal you can find yourself in an awkward position. ;)
The angle doesn't bother me. The only problem that I've ever had is people who have driven into the spot as I'm preparing to back in.

Me too. You know what the conditions are when you park, but you can't know what they will be when you want to leave. If other people park poorly as they often do, I'd rather see where I'm at directly than to try to judge missing them in my mirrors. And here in SC, if you collide with someone or something while you are reversing it is automatically your fault, so reversing is not something to be rushed :rolleyes: I can pick a spot where I can back in without time-pressure by looking for that kind of space when I arrive ;)

Plus now I have 1m+ of van behind the rear wheels so in many places I can back in and hang that over the curb making more room for others while making a smaller target for their poor driving skills when they reverse out of a nearby spot :cool: In winter I needn't worry too much about the rear window before rolling out- all I need is a clear windshield and side mirrors to be reasonably safe :) And since my front cam runs 24/7 it is best to aim it toward where the most likely problems will be; not in the opposite direction :D

I got into this habit long ago and it has made life a lot easier. Try it yourself and you'll quickly discover the advantages (y)

Phil

I got into this habit long ago and it has made life a lot easier. Try it yourself and you'll quickly discover the advantages (y)
Man, that sounded like the punch line of some TV commercial! I think you chose the wrong job. :ROFLMAO:

I'm pretty much the same and will usually try to park so I don't have to reverse out - just easier that way as you have a lot more 'maneuvering room' when backing in than you may have when backing out after someone parked 6 inches from you after you were already in the space. :(

Reversing out isn't difficult in itself. The problem is the drivers and pedestrians who see you reversing but decide to race past you anyway. There's ALWAYS at least one.
(Sadly I usually have no choice in the matter, I need to access the back doors.)

To hammer people's sensibilities you may need one of those captive nail guns as used in No Country for Old Men.

I received a bump in the car park yesterday. I was sitting in my parked van preparing a work email when I "felt the earth move." Someone had parked in the spot in front of me and rolled forward over a hump in the ground and hit me.

I got it on video but surprisingly you can't see any motion of my van. If felt worse than it looked. Luckily no damage done.

You have to wonder how often these things happen while you're parked without you realising it.

Back