Parking mode lead-acid deep discharge warning.

dsgerbc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just FIY.
The highest setting of shut-down voltage in the firmware at 12.4v is really giving me a 12-12.1v reading on the battery after X2 has shut down, and some difficulty starting. The latter is not surprising, since is corresponds to battery at 25-50% capacity with diminished cranking power, and doing it repeatedly can necessitate premature battery replacement.

Not sure if this is only my own experience due to some variance in parts, or if this is more general for the X2.

My voltmeter reads within a 0.1v of the battery voltage as reported via OBDII protocol.

Voltage measured at the battery can differ from other points in the car, this needs to be taken into account when selecting and calibrating the cut-off point values.

Below is my test when I was installing an battery prevention discharge device for Panorama S.

When engine was not running ( ACC OFF ), then cig.lighter measured at 11.9V but at same time battery showed 12.4V
When engine was running then cig.lighter, fuse box and battery showed me 14.2V +/- 0.2-0.4V depending on revs.

ACC OFF (1).jpg

ACC OFF (2).jpg

ACC ON (1).jpg

ACC ON (2).jpg

BDP.jpg

My measurements on the battery itself and on the X2 power plug (w/o engine running) yielded results with-in a tenth of each other. So, while I'm sure there could be voltage losses depending on how stuff is wired, it certainly won't happen on every setup.
Some battery discharge prevention devices will give you lower output voltage (which is okay if they cut power at correct battery voltage), which may have been your case.

My measurements on the battery itself and on the X2 power plug (w/o engine running) yielded results with-in a tenth of each other. So, while I'm sure there could be voltage losses depending on how stuff is wired, it certainly won't happen on every setup.
Connect it to the battery via a reasonable sized silicon diode, then it will see a voltage 0.7V less than the real battery voltage and you can set it to turn off earlier...

I just bench test confirmed menu selected 12.4 cut-off is actually cutting off at a measured 12.12V reading. (Latest Beta Firmware)

I'll ask the battery discharge prevention be re-calibrated ASAP. (stand by)

u7eBHKOl.png

[7:39:51 PM] S.M Jang: it's normal

[7:40:00 PM] S.M Jang: cause of cable loss

[7:40:28 PM] Jon: Ok, some customers will be happy with a technical explanation.

[7:40:41 PM] Jon: 12.4V is safest then

I don't doubt it's "normal", that is operating as designed. The question is whether anything could be done for customers like me. As-is 'parking mode' does not exist for me in this camera, cause it's not safe to operate. While I could do some wiring changes (as proposed above or get a standalone battery protector), it would kinda defeat the purpose of buying a camera with an automatic parking more.

I'll ask they add 1 higher value at the very least and or adjust GUI values to be closer.

like everything these are baseline functions and they need some fine tuning to get real world results, kind of thing that can be hard to check in a lab environment, they really need to be in cars

[7:39:51 PM] S.M Jang: it's normal

[7:40:00 PM] S.M Jang: cause of cable loss

[7:40:28 PM] Jon: Ok, some customers will be happy with a technical explanation.

[7:40:41 PM] Jon: 12.4V is safest then

He is factoring in voltage drop, IMHO he should not be. The installer should be responsible to connect the camera without a significant voltage drop.
In the firmware I would use supply voltage with a 10 - 20 second buffer, as some car's run the EVAP or other devices when the car is off.
It would be nice to display the Voltage the camera see's on the screen when selecting the voltage cut off. This could then be compared to the actual measured battery voltage to see if you have a voltage drop, if you do then you can re-wire as required.

some car's run the EVAP or other devices when the car is off.

I always thought all things EVAP stopped when the car is off ?....... What are the other devices you speak of ?

NOTE ----- Instead of starting a new thread....... I just downloaded the X2 manual and while reading it the orange headline bars are turning up in the wrong places covering areas of important reading ( if it's just me let me know ).

Last edited:
I always thought all things EVAP stopped when the car is off ?....... What are the other devices you speak of ?

The EVAP pump can and will run with the key off to pressurize the fuel system to check for leaks. OnStar is always on (or the others version of it), factory alarm systems just to name a few.

I'll double check the manual. I really wish all the new edits were still in the originak word doc but I'll fix :)

The PDF is actually quite nice with it's smooth lines etc....

Just out of curiosity, who wrote the original manual ?

BTW, I'm organizing my X2 order with extras and good move on the 64gb cards.

The EVAP pump can and will run with the key off to pressurize the fuel system to check for leaks. OnStar is always on (or the others version of it), factory alarm systems just to name a few.

Recently I drove my car for the first time in 8 days and it struggled to start but quickly ran correctly.

Now that I think about it, the battery was fine so fuel pressure was likely the issue but quickly got there.

I want zero/minimal unnecessary stuff running when the key is removed.

I was thinking;

1) perhaps it's possible to somewhere add in the menu what the device is current measuring as incoming voltage?
You can use this to fine tune and/or debug issues in regards to stability or what settings needs to be chosen.
2) Also I think it would be great to adjust the voltage cutoff settings not by such great steps but in steps of 0.1V (maybe a + and - box)?

I was thinking;

1) perhaps it's possible to somewhere add in the menu what the device is current measuring as incoming voltage?
You can use this to fine tune and/or debug issues in regards to stability or what settings needs to be chosen.
2) Also I think it would be great to adjust the voltage cutoff settings not by such great steps but in steps of 0.1V (maybe a + and - box)?

That would be an ideal solution. I doubt discharge prevention in the X2 is physically similar to competing standalone devices with only a few hardware settings. It's probably just a voltage sensor and firmware logic. If so, there's zero reason to try to replicate inferior devices.

Back