Parking mode question

My only concern with the powerbank option is how it will handle extreme temperatures. In a year we usually get at least a week of -35 to -25 deg C and +25 to +35 deg C temps. I know the camera can handle those temps but am not sure about the Li ion powerbanks. So far my testing has been at temps around freezing point.

Being in Texas we just have to worry about the 100+ degree temps in the Summer

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Demo's concern is also mine. It is also impractical to have to move the power bank in and out of the car every time you drive and park. IMHO, lithium power banks are good for select occasions, for instance, when you are spending a couple of nights in a hotel on a road trip. You definitely don't want to wake up in the morning, only to find your car battery dead for any reason after having it power your car cams overnight.

Both of you: since you're using the USB supply (not HK3) it is strongly advised that you load the v1.03 build 20190911 firmware (not build 20190924 !) - read this topic for more information.

Both of you: since you're using the USB supply (not HK3) it is strongly advised that you load the v1.03 build 20190911 firmware (not build 20190924 !) - read this topic for more information.
Thank you! Will read tonight at work. Is there a link for the file?

I have already done that after reading your earlier posts :) and in fact it was that post that motivated me to try all this again after earlier failures. Did some more testing today and it is working with Autodetect, 1 fps and 5 fps.

TommyRox, the link is in post 32.

ds2010 am I being too simplistic here? If the cam draws 150 mA and my powerbank is rated at 10500mAh does that mean the power bank can, theoretically and I know real word numbers can be very different, supply power for 10500mAh/150ma or 70 hours at least as a ball park figure?

Last edited:
Don't forget that the Pbank quoted capacity is for the LiIon cells, NOT for the USB output. So, that capacity should be scaled down by the ratio of cell/USB voltage, which is 3.7/5, which brings the capacity to 7700mAh.
Then, the efficiency of 3.7V to 5V conversion (about 80%) brings it further down to 7700*0.8=6216mAh.

Also, I wrote that the cam consumes 150mA from 12V (via HK3 kit).
When powered from 5V via USB cable, it consumes about 350mA.

So your estimated time to full discharge drops down to 6216/350 = 18 hours.

It's also depending on how old your Pbank is - generally, the LiIon cells keep the original capacity for about 200 to 250 cycles of full charge/discharge. The good news is that the lower the consumed current is the higher the actual capacity is. Nominally, the rated capacity is spec'ed for the discharge of C/5, meaning - for such current which fully drains the battery in 5 hours, which is in your case approx 1.2Amps. The actual discharge current of 350mA is much lower, so you can expect a bit more time out of your Pbank than I calculated above, provided the Pbank is fairly new.

Glad to hear that build 20190911 does the job. I spent quite a bit of time looking for the solution myself.
The bug in build 20190924 has been reported to VIOFO, and the reception of report was confirmed by their suport.

Last edited:
I have already done that after reading your earlier posts :) and in fact it was that post that motivated me to try all this again after earlier failures. Did some more testing today and it is working with Autodetect, 1 fps and 5 fps.

TommyRox, the link is in post 32.

ds2010 am I being too simplistic here? If the cam draws 150 mA and my powerbank is rated at 10500mAh does that mean the power bank can, theoretically and I know real word numbers can be very different, supply power for 10500mAh/150ma or 70 hours at least as a ball park figure?
Thanks!

Don't forget that the Pbank quoted capacity is for the LiIon cells, NOT for the USB output. So, that capacity should be scaled down by the ratio of cell/USB voltage, which is 3.7/5, which brings the capacity to 7700mAh.
Then, the efficiency of 3.7V to 5V conversion (about 80%) brings it further down to 7700*0.8=6216mAh.

Also, I wrote that the cam consumes 150mA from 12V (via HK3 kit).
When powered from 5V via USB cable, it consumes about 350mA.

So your estimated time to full discharge drops down to 6216/350 = 18 hours.

It's also depending on how old your Pbank is - generally, the LiIon cells keep the original capacity for about 200 to 250 cycles of full charge/discharge. The good news is that the lower the consumed current is the higher the actual capacity is. Nominally, the rated capacity is spec'ed for the discharge of C/5, meaning - for such current which fully drains the battery in 5 hours, which is in your case approx 1.2Amps. The actual discharge current of 350mA is much lower, so you can expect a bit more time out of your Pbank than I calculated above, provided the Pbank is fairly new.

Glad to hear that build 20190911 does the job. I spent quite a bit of time looking for the solution myself.
The bug in build 20190924 has been reported to VIOFO, and the reception of report was confirmed by their suport.

Thanks again. I suspected that my approach was way too simplistic and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Once the weather warms up I will install a hardwire kit in my cars but until then it is comforting to know that I can use a powerbank. So thanks again for your input on the whole parking mode issue.

Pleasure.

Btw, after you install HK3, it will be safe to use build 20190924 again. :)

Back