Country
United Kingdom
Nice simple question I hope.

Does this dash cam have parking mode?

Thanks

Simple answer - No ;)

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that parking mode is coming with a future firmware update.

A119 does parking mode via motion-detect, which isn't true parking mode (buffered/pre-buffered). Updates may improve on the MD but won't add buffered parking mode.

I thought it did time lapse, which can be used as parking mode, if you switch it to that setting when parked and have a constant power supply.
Or does the OP mean "automatic" parking mode as with the DDPai M6+?

Nice simple question I hope.

Does this dash cam have parking mode?

Thanks

Welcome vitoman58, my answer to your question is Yes (in theory)
It has in the menu, an option called 'motion detection'....in my interpretation, this means it starts recording when motion is detected in front of the camera and, and stops recording when there is no motion as shown in this 'notorious' dashcam vid....

Now at the moment, with the A119, when it is set to 'Motion Detection' (in my case) the camera is recording continuously, irregardless of whether there is any motion present. Viofo has been made aware of this problem via this forum and I am waiting for a firmware update addressing this problem.
Guys on here have been using continuous 'time lapse' mode to bypass the problem which I believe is a sensitivity issue. It does the job of motion detection but requires the user to have the time to look thru hours of 'non events' albeit at much faster recording times.
I am just hoping Viofo can address this issue as it could IMO, open up other uses for this camera aside from just a dashcam, I will leave those to your imagination but motion detection was the primary reason I bought the A119.......

Last edited:
For Dashcam products that have a Novatek chipset, the Novatek SDK / Hardware doesn't currently have pre-buffer as an option to use, so motion detection is a start/stop operation. Moments leading up to the trigger will be lost. (no pre-buffer)

Best option is to let the system record an extra hour or two via hard wire kit that supports timed power (such as the Vico Power Plus)

Recording 24/7 non-stop would be too punishing on the memory card and hardware though.

For Dashcam products that have a Novatek chipset, the Novatek SDK / Hardware doesn't currently have pre-buffer as an option to use, so motion detection is a start/stop operation. Moments leading up to the trigger will be lost. (no pre-buffer)

Best option is to let the system record an extra hour or two via hard wire kit that supports timed power (such as the Vico Power Plus)

Recording 24/7 non-stop would be too punishing on the memory card and hardware though.

NOT acceptable..... Product advertised as having 'Motion Detect' mode.....

It has start stop basic motion detection
It doesn't have pre-buffered motion detection.

Last edited:
It has start stop basic motion detection
I doesn't have pre-buffered motion detection.

" pre-buffered motion detection" is not in the scope of this device.......
On my A119, 'motion detection mode' records continuously till I turn it off.....

So, Head Gardener is saying that in his experience the A119 motion detect does not "start stop" even without pre-buffering. He says it simply starts but does not stop when the motion stops. Perhaps it is so sensitive that it picks up a fly at 100yds and will only switch itself off in a dark garage.
If this is correct, Viofo should either remove the claim from the product details or fix the motion detect.

getting the balance right on motion detect is far more complex than most people would understand, ironically there are others here that have commented how well the motion detect works

So, Head Gardener is saying that in his experience the A119 motion detect does not "start stop" even without pre-buffering. He says it simply starts but does not stop when the motion stops. Perhaps it is so sensitive that it picks up a fly at 100yds and will only switch itself off in a dark garage.
If this is correct, Viofo should either remove the claim from the product details or fix the motion detect.

No, your absolutely right......it does work in my bedroom at night, but not in the daylight.
As soon as I activate MD, it starts recording straight away until I switch the dashcam off and change the mode.......
And its a bit late for Viofo to remove the claim as Iv'e already spent £90+ on the item!
For your info, pre buffering is an option to MD, not an inclusion....
Or is it me David? maybe I'm asking too much and I should just STFU?

during my tests for overnight recording with a "motion detection" on from 11pm through 6am I had under 1 hour recording.

And during a 10pm till 08am test using MD I had 10 hrs solid, minute after minute, collection of 3 minute files to look thru....(32 Gbs worth)
I will say that out of the thousands of A119 cams out there, mine is the only one that is Hypersensitive!

during my tests for overnight recording with a "motion detection" on from 11pm through 6am I had under 1 hour recording.

that would be a pretty good result, if you wanted to use it during the day as some sort of parking mode you'd likely find that it would record almost all the time in most situations, if it didn't then you'd find it would cut out at times when it shouldn't if you used it while in motion when the scenery got too static or consistent, stopped in traffic, long empty roads etc

And during a 10pm till 08am test using MD I had 10 hrs solid, minute after minute, collection of 3 minute files to look thru....(32 Gbs worth)
I will say that out of the thousands of A119 cams out there, mine is the only one that is Hypersensitive!

in what sort of environment, got some sample footage?

also 10 hours won't be fitting on 32gb, you'd only have the last few hours if it was going all the time

in what sort of environment, got some sample footage?

also 10 hours won't be fitting on 32gb, you'd only have the last few hours if it was going all the time

Can't remember what rez I had it on at the time Jokiin, but it was a card full of 3 min clips of continuous recording....
My issue is that MD is is too sensitive....I have had a PC based home CCTV system for a few years, with pre buffering so I know what motion detection means.....I will state again, I put the cam into MD mode (hard wire connection) and the next time/day I check, I have a card full of continuous recording, motion or no....

what is the environment like though, motion detect on a home CCTV system is nothing like a car system, your home cameras are in a fixed location and only look at a specific scene, you can calibrate a CCTV system to ignore what you want and concentrate on what you want, the system in your car needs to work in any location, the view is ever changing, it won't ever work like your home CCTV system does

Back