Permanent Install Question

GaryDZ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A118
I see lots of installs (especially near the rear view mirror) where the USB/power cord is routed into the headliner. I would like to do that and hardwire it directly into switched 12V in the overhead console. I am guessing that I can't just simply cut off the cigarette lighter plug and wire it in since the USB connection is 5v. Am I correct?

I use the same kit as Gibson99, works well and very clean looking.

If its any help,

its a very simple job to dismantle the cigarette plug and solder a positive and negative wire to the circuit board and feed the wires out of the plug when its put back together. I found the plug small enough to hide in the boot for the rear camera and plenty of space at the front for the other front camera one..

Using the voltage regulator for the instal is always a good idea, but you can hardwire your cam with only what they ship you. Just take the cigarette lighter adapter apart and solder a wire to the positive(spring) and negative(metal clip) terminals. If you are already doing a little bit of wiring, then I recommend tossing a fuse in line, but it's not needed, especially if you tie your wiring into your fuse box. All in all my way might sound pretty redneck rigged, but it works and doesn't add any cost to your install.

If its any help,

its a very simple job to dismantle the cigarette plug and solder a positive and negative wire to the circuit board and feed the wires out of the plug when its put back together. I found the plug small enough to hide in the boot for the rear camera and plenty of space at the front for the other front camera one..

Looks like Pete and I are on the same page.

true you can do that but if the transformer used in the one that came with it is crap (generates interference - see AM radio noise thread) then it's worth a few bucks to get a better transformer.

i chose to hardwire mine from day one w/ the kit above so if i needed to return or exchange the camera i could send the whole thing, complete.

I thought about trying to dismantle the cigarette lighter adapter but since I have not received the dashcam yet I didn't know if it was ultrasonically welded. Soldering to the external terminals was not an option for me (i'm a bit too fussy). Since I already ordered the transformer unit I guess that's the way I'm going.
Thanks All!

i didn't solder anything when i put in my hardwire kit. sure, it would probably be a better connection and more reliable down the road, but i'm satisfied with the T-taps (aka vampire taps) and blade connectors i used, mostly because i already had some. These connectors would've worked too, but i didn't have any handy.

why? the type of splice i linked to there is way better than many other idc style connectors i've used because they have a double connection, good guides to keep the wires centered, and a solid locking cover. i used them to install my own alarm, and the connectors outlasted 2 sets of lock motors and the alarm itself. not to mention all the various dvds, stereos and other electronics i installed while working at a toyota dealer using these and other connectors. never had any comebacks because of the connectors; only defective equipment.

scotch locks they used to refer to them as here, were very common at one time and a lot of headaches for anyone that had to fault find anything installed with these, thankfully you don't see them use professionally any more, didn't realise they still even made them

called that here too. makes sense since theyre made by 3m. the first ones i linked to arent as good but are more versatile since you can plug and unplug them.

@jokiin, MSD an Crane still include those useless things in their wiring kits for the good products they have. No idea why they do it; they go to the bin as soon as I open the box.

Hey everyone, I am looking to do a permanent install as well.

Would splicing the mini-USB cable and attaching a 1 amp PICO fuse to the power wire, then connecting it to the rear-view mirror's 12v power wire work?
Or do I still need to convert the 12v to 5v?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Back