Permanent or switch for battery pack

Smileysmile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guts,

I'm new to this site.
This may have been covered before so I do apologise.
I've a MyDean front and rear cam with a battery pack.
Question is: Do I connect the battery pack to a permanent live or switch on fuse box?

I would have thought if PERMANENT if car parked for 2 days without driving the car battery would eventually charge the flat battery pack then that would discharge. Thanks

Yes, normally you would connect a dashcam battery pack to switched power, so that it only charges when the engine is running, and then provides power to the camera while parked.

Connecting it to the accessory fuse is normal, because that will turn off the charging while you are starting the engine, thus giving more power to the starter.

Yes, normally you would connect a dashcam battery pack to switched power, so that it only charges when the engine is running, and then provides power to the camera while parked.

Connecting it to the accessory fuse is normal, because that will turn off the charging while you are starting the engine, thus giving more power to the starter.
I thought as much. Its just finding a free switched connection.

I thought as much. Its just finding a free switched connection.
For dashcams, we normally use a "fuse tap", sometimes called a piggy back fuse, so that there is no need to find a free fuse, but for a powerbank you need a fair amount of power, so you can only tap into the more powerful circuits.

It is better to run power direct from the battery, via an inline fuse and relay, and switch the relay using power from a fuse tap, then you can tap into any circuit that is switched, because relays use very little power. This is quite likely to charge your battery faster too, as long as you use decent thickness cable, there will be less voltage losses along the way.

I've taken
For dashcams, we normally use a "fuse tap", sometimes called a piggy back fuse, so that there is no need to find a free fuse, but for a powerbank you need a fair amount of power, so you can only tap into the more powerful circuits.

It is better to run power direct from the battery, via an inline fuse and relay, and switch the relay using power from a fuse tap, then you can tap into any circuit that is switched, because relays use very little power. This is quite likely to charge your battery faster too, as long as you use decent thickness cable, there will be less voltage losses along the way.
I've taken my front and rear cams out of car for van. The installers have the connections ie fuses attached to wires from battery pack. I just removed everything. They plugged it into fusebox but wasn't sure if plugged into a permanent live or switch. I think it would be switch. Basically it's just hooking everything up in van.

Back