Pics that make you smile

I think I want one. :cautious:

I think I want one. :cautious:

We will be watching for the news reports of the beating wifey administers to you when she sees it :rolleyes: Perhaps she will allow you to hang it in your 'man-cave' or shed :p

Phil

Here's one I took yesterday. Showing the progress of lighting technology. All three are 9005 size bulbs. Each one seems to be about 50-100% brighter than the one to its left.

IMG_20170806_201112~01.jpg

If the one on the right is built well it will out-last the vehicle it's installed in so it might be cheap in the long run :cool:

Phil

I got tired of headlight bulbs blowing, even the expensive ones. So I bought some LED replacements. Twice as expensive as anything I've bought before, but they've lasted twice as long as some so they've done OK and they're still going strong. They were a pain to fit, and tbh the beam patterns aren't perfect, but they suit me as daylight running lights to stop idiots going into my path. I've tried them a few times at night now too, and they work better than I'd feared. No angry oncoming drivers.

And they ARE brighter /whiter than anything I've tried before.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I like these new matrix led lights.

See how the light surround the car in the front, but not on the car.

well let's see... the plain old halogen on the left costs about $8 each, so about $16 a pair, but you can get better halogens (like Sylvania Silverstars) for $35 and up per pair. the HIDs were $35 for a pair including slim ballasts (35w, 5000k). the LEDs are about $25-35 for a pair - no ballast required.

i agree the beam pattern isn't as good on the LEDs, but that's fine for high beams and DRLs. So far I haven't gotten flashed for the LED low beams, but i also know i need to polish the haze off the plastic headlight housings. that will probably help the beam pattern immensely. with the HIDs i had a decent cutoff, but it was obvious that the haze is scattering a lot of light.

...i agree the beam pattern isn't as good on the LEDs, but that's fine for high beams and DRLs. So far I haven't gotten flashed for the LED low beams,....
What vehicle?

What vehicle?
2006 toyota rav4. actually calls for 9006 in the low beams, but 9005 fits just fine and has the same dimensions and focal point. only difference is 9006 has paint on the tip of the glass bulb, and has a slightly different key in the plug/socket, but these LEDs don't have the key at all so they fit the 9006 socket without modification.. also in the case of the LEDs, the painted tip doesn't matter since the LED has a solid block of aluminum at the tip so no light could possibly go straight forward. plus the headlight housing itself has a cap inside to reflect light back into the main reflector, and a shield below the bulb to provide the cutoff. you can see it below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271669556472
if i had money to blow, i'd probably spring for the upgraded housings with projectors to have a nicely focused beam. i couldn't care less about the angel eye/halos but i do like the output of a proper projector.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131842904892
all that said, right now my budget only allows for a piece of 600-800 grit sandpaper, a spray bottle of water, some masking tape and a can of spray clear-coat. :D

my wife's 2008 highlander hybrid takes H4 bulbs, and the factory DRLs are actually the low beams. so i added a couple relays so that now the fog lights are the DRLs (and they have LED H11 bulbs), and the H4 was replaced with bi-xenon HIDs with a proper shield inside to give a great beam pattern with a surprisingly sharp cutoff. Since her car is newer and is garaged, the headlights aren't anywhere near as hazy as mine, though it probably couldn't hurt to refinish them.

We Danes cant change light bulbs to anything but what the car came with from the factory, not that it stop many people and they are pretty easy to spot aftermarket HID or LED's.
If only we had police to stop these mobile retina pyromaniacs.

if i had money to blow, i'd probably spring for the upgraded housings with projectors to have a nicely focused beam. i couldn't care less about the angel eye/halos but i do like the output of a proper projector.

If you end up taking the HID route, do check out the D2S 4.0 kit by Morimoto.

If you end up taking the HID route, do check out the D2S 4.0 kit by Morimoto.
most projector replacements i've seen use H1 bulbs. i'd probably just put another of these LED kits into it, since i've been fairly well pleased with them so far. i like how there's no warm-up time like with HID, plus installation is a breeze since you don't have to find somewhere to mount a ballast and all its extra wires.

but i don't see that happening any time soon.

most projector replacements i've seen use H1 bulbs. i'd probably just put another of these LED kits into it, since i've been fairly well pleased with them so far. i like how there's no warm-up time like with HID, plus installation is a breeze since you don't have to find somewhere to mount a ballast and all its extra wires.

but i don't see that happening any time soon.

Mine are H1's too, so wish the headlights could have accommodated a 3 inch lens. Warm-up time can be reduced drastically by using quick start ballasts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back