Pics that make you smile

We all know that person.

362351d1501695935-13938416_624129807750392_2045247968129278252_n.jpg
3763E84700000578-0-image-m-15_1471599719704.jpg

Suck in Donald.

Strangely enough, I have picked up loads of that brand of toilet at the US/Mexico border......made in China. I think they also make some of them in Mexico, but the trip from China, to the US, via Mexico still is kind of puzzling....and it still had the 'American Standard' brand name.
(I think the port costs in the US have something to do with it)

Our standards have changed? :)

it's a very popular brand in China, can't say I've noticed that serial number though

Im with Danish IFO as they have 2 dots over the O i just cant make on the computer and then it pronounce Ø
And in a pinch Armitage shanks

Do they think they're 'imported'?

:)

unlikely since everything is made in China anyway, likely the name is to imply it's export quality though, anything for the export market is generally known to be higher quality than the domestic market equivalent product so was probably more about marketing

On the signs at every McDonalds drive-thru is written that a Braille menu is available on request. So how would a blind person know this since they can't see that writing? If their sighted companion can read that for them, then why can't that person also read the menu out loud to their non-sighted friend? It just seems a bit silly to me and also to two friends of mine who are blind :p

Based on all the driving vids we see, perhaps Borg is onto something and the Braille menus are intended for the drivers instead :eek:

Phil
I would bet the government has a regulation that says every sign like that has to have information in braille. Government regulations are not that helpful for most real life situations.

Government regulations are not that helpful for most real life situations.

Unless you happen to have a significant disability and your ability to navigate through life has been improved by title III of the The Americans With Disabilities Act that directs businesses to make "reasonable modifications" to their usual ways of doing things when serving people with disabilities. It also requires that they take steps necessary to communicate effectively with customers with vision, hearing, and speech disabilities.

Not all regulations are perfect or indeed perfectly implemented but the idea is to assist a broad range of people who need them, as much as possible.

Last edited:
Unless you happen to have a significant disability and your ability to navigate through life has been improved by title III of the The Americans With Disabilities Act that directs businesses to make "reasonable modifications" to their usual ways of doing things when serving people with disabilities. It also requires that they take steps necessary to communicate effectively with customers with vision, hearing, and speech disabilities.

Not all regulations are perfect or indeed perfectly implemented but the idea is to assist a broad range of people who need them, as much as possible.
The reality is different. Before the ADA was implemented 55% of those with disabilities had jobs. A few years later only 45% had jobs. The missing 10% were looked at as lawsuits waiting to happen and not hired or let go for "other reasons".

I was against the ADA before it was passed into law. I am still against it except for title II. Ensuring that the government provides clear and effective communications from which those with disabilities can benefit can make government more understandable and accountable. Properly applied this emans that confusing government rules, regulations, and statutes must be written into simplified language. Those with learning disabilities or mental deficits must be able to understand what the government says. The end result will be the government has to provide clear and effective communications in all ways to all people. When simple language exists for the cognitively disabled it is available for everyone.

See 28 CFR section 35 subsections 130, 150, 160, and 164.

The reality is different. Before the ADA was implemented 55% of those with disabilities had jobs. A few years later only 45% had jobs. The missing 10% were looked at as lawsuits waiting to happen and not hired or let go for "other reasons".

I was against the ADA before it was passed into law. I am still against it except for title II. Ensuring that the government provides clear and effective communications from which those with disabilities can benefit can make government more understandable and accountable. Properly applied this emans that confusing government rules, regulations, and statutes must be written into simplified language. Those with learning disabilities or mental deficits must be able to understand what the government says. The end result will be the government has to provide clear and effective communications in all ways to all people. When simple language exists for the cognitively disabled it is available for everyone.

See 28 CFR section 35 subsections 130, 150, 160, and 164.

This is the kind of unfortunate mindset and distorted analysis we get from people who don't suffer from a disability or have family members who do. It's more along the lines of corporate right wing propaganda intended to sidestep these regulations and lower costs.

At least in the part of the country where I live we see more and more people with disabilities of all kinds engaged in gainful employment to the benefit of everyone and the reduction in public tax outlays and benefit provisions. Disabled people who would otherwise be on the public dole are instead earning a living, paying taxes and spending their incomes into the economy.

This discussion began with the popular joke about putting braille in drive-up ATMs which is really there so blind people can walk up to and use any ATM. According to your thinking, blind people should be left to struggle because, "Government regulations are not that helpful for most real life situations."

Where are you getting your employment statistics from anyway? Links?

Why is that the only statistic you cite has to do with employment?

The issues with the ADA have revolved around compliance and enforcement, not the law itself. The ADA has had far reaching positive effects on countless people's lives. For example, just ask anyone confined to a wheelchair how they feel about the requirement to provide curb cuts in sidewalks before and after the law was passed? Or access to buildings, elevators, transportation etc., for work, medical care, polling places, entertainment and many other activities that you obviously take for granted.

Last edited:
Slightly modified and that text would be perfect for a commercial for condoms.

and if the pass, and manage to not hit barrier, will they stop when they find out they are in oncoming traffic, or will they ever notice they are in oncoming traffic.

There was a small opening in the barrier, I think to let construction traffic cross over. I can't imagine how drunk you would have to be to think that was an opening to enter the oncoming lane to pass.
:)

I'm thinking the sign might have been up before the barrier was erected and they just never took it down.

KuoH

I'm curious, if they don't notice the concrete and steel barrier, will they notice the sign?

That's possible. Easier to put up the barriers than clean up the daily carnage. :) Why take down a perfectly good sign?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back