PMP power issues when car is turned off (correct wiring)

stran84

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi All,

hi, I had this installed for about a week. all went well, parking mode enabled after 10mins of shutting off the car. however, just the past couple of days, SOMETIMES when I turn off my car, the unit turns off (as if it had no power) and stays off. but then sometimes it would stay on after I turn my engine off.(like it supposed to, and parking mode enabled)
any idea what could be wrong? could the cold temp do anything w/ it?
I'm 100% I wired it correctly since it did work perfectly for a week or so.
(2014 civic si sedan red acc cable goes to #19 acc fuse, and yellow batt cable goes to fuse #10 spare constant)

I had a similar problem and have posted about issues with the PMP on this forum. I had mine replaced but still had power issues which actually in the end turned out to be a faulty camera power cable but my cam would turn off randomly for no apparent reason, start up mid-drive etc. There was nothing which seemed to be obviously wrong with the cable itself but after I had exhausted all other avenues and after much head scratching I replaced the power cable and all worked well. Worth a try if you get stuck because I was really frustrated.

Confirm your ground is a good one.. that the cigarette lighter connection is good.. then start considering faulty parts or wires..

thanks guys! so I replaced the pmp and dash cam...I think I know the problem, so the pmp is set to turn off once the battery goes below a certain voltage and its been hella cold up here in Toronto so I'm thinking the battery drained quicker than warmer days.

I have a question if I don't want to have a constant power but only when the car is turn on can I twist the red and yellow together and use it on one fuse?.Does it matter amp fuse to use?..5amp/10mp...

I have a question if I don't want to have a constant power but only when the car is turn on can I twist the red and yellow together and use it on one fuse?.Does it matter amp fuse to use?..5amp/10mp...
I'd would suggest that. i would still tap into a constant and an ACC fuse, then on the power magic pro, just leave it on OFF "0" i used 7.5amp

Don't even bother with the the PMP if you "only" want to run the camera while the car is "on". Connect to a switched circuit (I used the radio) and protect the line with a low amp fuse.. 5 amp seems to be a normal and easy one to find.

Ok thanks,so most people do use the yellow for constant power but just switch it off using the Power magic.If the constant power fuse is say 10amp and the ignition on fuse is 5amp it be good right?.Wonder which fuse member choose for the constant power one,Im not going use any fuse that is a safety one like airbags.

Ok thanks,so most people do use the yellow for constant power but just switch it off using the Power magic.If the constant power fuse is say 10amp and the ignition on fuse is 5amp it be good right?. Wonder which fuse member choose for the constant power one,Im not going use any fuse that is a safety one like airbags.
I used the brake fuse for power on always and the radio for when my car is running. As it turns out I seldom have the PMP turned on as parking mode for my Blackvue DR650GW is about as useless as you can get. I also did not use a fuse tap as it would not allow replacing the lid / cover. Instead I shaved (filed) one leg of the fuse and soldered my PMP wires to the cold side leg. Wasted a few fuses until I got it right. :)It also means I have not protected the circuit with any additional (and lower capacity fuses) :(

Instead I shaved (filed) one leg of the fuse and soldered my PMP wires to the cold side leg. Wasted a few fuses until I got it right. :)It also means I have not protected the circuit with any additional (and lower capacity fuses) :(

Not sure why you went thru all that trouble then. Why not just go straight to the hot side and use an inline fuse of the correct rating ( 2 amp)

Ok thanks,so most people do use the yellow for constant power but just switch it off using the Power magic.If the constant power fuse is say 10amp and the ignition on fuse is 5amp it be good right?.Wonder which fuse member choose for the constant power one,Im not going use any fuse that is a safety one like airbags.
hey..did you manage to install it yet?

Yes it was simple job....15 minutes to install and hide the wires.Use a fuse tap and do not use a fuse for safety devices....

so its been going well for you?
does parking mode last overnight all night for you?

My PMP has been turning itself off quite often now that the cold has hit the UK. Have it set to 12V and don't feel comfortable setting it as low as 11.8V.

To be honest, I'm now viewing the parking mode and the cloud features as 'bonuses' rather than fully fledged features...In terms of having it hardwired to the fuse for a tidy install, and having the PMP to access parking mode for when I feel I really need it, the camera suits my needs well so no real complaints. Shame the features don't work quite as advertised/I thought though....

My PMP has been turning itself off quite often now that the cold has hit the UK. Have it set to 12V and don't feel comfortable setting it as low as 11.8V.

To be honest, I'm now viewing the parking mode and the cloud features as 'bonuses' rather than fully fledged features...In terms of having it hardwired to the fuse for a tidy install, and having the PMP to access parking mode for when I feel I really need it, the camera suits my needs well so no real complaints. Shame the features don't work quite as advertised/I thought though....
ok, so I'm not the only one having it turned off on me. I just wanted to make sure.
also, I guess we all have our reasons to purchasing these items. I've always wanted a dash cam, but didn't want to pull the trigger due to the cost, but in the area where I live (townhome complex) I've been seeing a lot of shady stuff around my car, so that is why I ended buying a dash cam that had parking mode to satisfy both my needs...parking mode is important to me that is why I need to rely on it, and make sure its on for as long as possible(without of course draining the battery)

ok, so I'm not the only one having it turned off on me. I just wanted to make sure.
also, I guess we all have our reasons to purchasing these items. I've always wanted a dash cam, but didn't want to pull the trigger due to the cost, but in the area where I live (townhome complex) I've been seeing a lot of shady stuff around my car, so that is why I ended buying a dash cam that had parking mode to satisfy both my needs...parking mode is important to me that is why I need to rely on it, and make sure its on for as long as possible(without of course draining the battery)

Yea it does seem to be down to temperature. Didn't have much, if any problems with keeping the camera running through the night when I first got it. Pretty much drove daily. It seems like you need to look at alternatives for powering it during the colder months. I think thats where battery packs and the like come into it.

I had a similar problem and have posted about issues with the PMP on this forum. I had mine replaced but still had power issues which actually in the end turned out to be a faulty camera power cable but my cam would turn off randomly for no apparent reason, start up mid-drive etc. There was nothing which seemed to be obviously wrong with the cable itself but after I had exhausted all other avenues and after much head scratching I replaced the power cable and all worked well. Worth a try if you get stuck because I was really frustrated.

I still wouldn't rule out a faulty power cable from the camera. Your symptoms are pretty much what I was experiencing. Tried everything to do with the PMP but it turned out to be the power lead. Now works spot on with no shut downs.

If.. you feel it is related to cold.. and (older) batteries do loose voltage when the temperature drops.. check the voltage of your battery with a multi-meter when the PMP has shut off. You may be surprised.. or be able to determine the PMP could be at fault.

Back