Poor quality in a cloudy day

tomateus

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hello!

Yeasterday I received my B40 dash cam.
I am worried about quality. Is something wrong with the camera ? It looks that it have a problem with light...
The city is Warsaw in Poland :)

Any suggestions ?
My firmware is b40s.20150316.001. I even can not find this firmware on the internet...
Maybe I should try firmware 20150104 ? (latest I have found)

Kind regards!

Welcome @tomateus

I think your dashcam is going to be just fine with a couple of adjustments. I have had footage just like yours and have resolved things. As @jokiin said, tilt the camera down a little and you will notice the difference right away, and if it's still too dark, increase the EV setting, I have mine set at +4/3. You should also change the resolution, you need to set it at 1080p.

As for the firmware, mine is 20150312, I haven't heard of the one you have. There's no point in going with the 20150104 you mentioned.

20150104 was the first, original firmware for the a118c. I still have it on mine. Newer fw's add a shutdown delay and some other tweaks but I didn't need those and since there was no big bug fix I just left it alone. Ain't broke don't fix it, right?

To the OP - there's no reason to downgrade your firmware as it will not help the video quality.

Hello!

Yeasterday I received my B40 dash cam.
I am worried about quality. Is something wrong with the camera ? It looks that it have a problem with light...
The city is Warsaw in Poland :)

Any suggestions ?
My firmware is b40s.20150316.001. I even can not find this firmware on the internet...
Maybe I should try firmware 20150104 ? (latest I have found)

Kind regards!

Welcome to forum !

your lens angle is OK ( 60% above and 40% below horizon ), but try 50 / 50. However it is strange that even with 60/40 the camera does not react on light changes as it should be in those cases I see from your footage.

Welcome to forum !

your lens angle is OK ( 60% above and 40% below horizon ), but try 50 / 50. However it is strange that even with 60/40 the camera does not react on light changes as it should be in those cases I see from your footage.
Surely thats the wrong way round.....you want less sky so should be 40% above horizon and 60% below.

Surely thats the wrong way round.....you want less sky so should be 40% above horizon and 60% below.
Surely Niko knows what he's talking about. You can verify that yourself by going to a car park on a bright, sunny day and simply adjusting the lens one or two clicks up or down then reviewing the recordings to see how the quality changes.

Surely Niko knows what he's talking about. You can verify that yourself by going to a car park on a bright, sunny day and simply adjusting the lens one or two clicks up or down then reviewing the recordings to see how the quality changes.
Color of the car comes into play as well for the auto-exposure system in the camera. My car is dark red, my wife's is silver - makes a difference in how to set them up for consistently good exposure.

Color of the car comes into play as well for the auto-exposure system in the camera. My car is dark red, my wife's is silver - makes a difference in how to set them up for consistently good exposure.

quite correct, it does play a part, there's a good difference between how it will perform on a black car compared to a white car if there's enough of the hood in shot, adjust up to lose that and then you start over exposing because of the sky, can't win sometimes, it's a lot harder to make a one size fits all solution than a lot of people would perhaps appreciate

I think there have been some mis-readings in this post. Niko's preference for camera position is well-known, 40% sky and 60% earth, I think it was a slip of the tongue. Anyway, the real reason for this entry is the hope that @tomateus will respond with an update on his issue.

I think there have been some mis-readings in this post. Niko's preference for camera position is well-known, 40% sky and 60% earth, I think it was a slip of the tongue. Anyway, the real reason for this entry is the hope that @tomateus will respond with an update on his issue.
Sorry guys. My mind was not "co-operating" with fingers when typing on the go.
As I first time posted year or so ago: my personal preffered is less sky ( 40% above horizon ) and more road ( 60% below horizon ). This is optimal value for dashcam. But of course some people want to record meteors fall ;)

Thanks for paying attention on my grammar and sorry for confusion.

Sorry @Gibson99 for confusion. Some time I mistakenly talk "wrong stuff". We all human and can do mistakes, but thanks for pointing out.

quite correct, it does play a part, there's a good difference between how it will perform on a black car compared to a white car if there's enough of the hood in shot, adjust up to lose that and then you start over exposing because of the sky, can't win sometimes, it's a lot harder to make a one size fits all solution than a lot of people would perhaps appreciate
Agree. For sure colour of car plays big role, especially if it is in high reflective white or silver colour.
Despite some commonly recommended values it is always best to experiment and personalize image quality and angle of dashcam to suit individual needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Back