Possible Options For Cameras With Unique (Advanced) Features

BeanPole68

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello folks, I'm new here. I've been asked to research dashcams to put into our snow removal vehicles, but I have no real knowledge of dashcams nor their features. That makes it difficult to do a Google search for example. I thought I'd come and ask the group has has the most experience, knowledge and interest in these tools.

We are looking for a dashcam that provides the following features (if one exists) -
  • package of individual front and rear facing cameras
  • 4k resolution (or next resolution down)
  • low light capture
  • GPS
  • upload to Cloud and card (with telemetry - GPS, time, speed)
  • speed measurement
  • indication when certain vehicle elements are active, for example when the plow is lowered, and/or the salter is engaged. This is likely an advanced feature. It would be similar to what you would see with a police dashcam in which there are indicators when their lights and/or sirens are enabled
  • impact detection, alerting
  • tamper proof
  • low profile (screen optional)
If something like this, or close to, exists ... it would provide an incredible asset to our operation for both operator safety, and in litigation defenses.

Jennifer

Absolutely brilliant dashcam. Had mime since it was released in the uk about 3 years ago

Welcome to the forum beanpole68.

You are looking for a smart camera, and in that case ATM you do not have many places to look.
The prime players in this field are Blackvue and Yhinkware.

What you ask for in general, will be like most other dahscams, for instance there are no brand / model that are exceptionally better in low light than others in the same price bracket, they pretty much all use the same sensors.

Cloud. Well yes you can get that, for events, uploading everything you record, that would be hard ( good 4 - 5 G connection all the time ) and also hosting that much footage will be a extra cost.
Most have a free lower tier cloud service, if you want more storage it cost you, also if you drive " a lot " well you probably also need a flat rate SIM card, which are also not cheap.

Very few dashcams are tamper proof, those that are are meant for commercial use.,
In general if a system are installed stealthy no one will see it, or maybe just not care.
2 years ago i had my car broken into, now the mirror mounted off the roof was torn off as the interior camera was mount there right in the face of the guy, but the 3-4 cameras in front of the mirror on the windscreen was not touched, and the 3 large spare memory cards in the center console was also not stolen, in essence my car was just ransacked and ten left ( i assume guy looking for gasoline card, but i am a cash kind of guy )

Depending on your windscreen layout, other form factors might be preferred over others, in my car traditional wedge cameras are the best, and if it was not for the number of cameras there, well then it would just come off as just any other sensor.

As you are Denmark north on the globe and on a larger landmass, and so getting snow in winter, well with that on the glass your camera will see nothing.
Hell just a little dew or rain droplets on the glass, and that capture you need, might not be possible due to those.
I rely on the CCTV camera on my #2 floor apartment balcony door, parking guard i do use, for 3 hours on the timer which cover all my shopping needs.
Also parking guard, well you do need some light there for the camera to be able to see anything, so at the very least a light pole, but the more the merrier.

CCTV.jpg

Last edited:
On the thinkware t700 lte the sim card fee's are £3.00 a month and you can cancel the sim card payments at anytime no contact,

So thinkware take care of that too.

Well as long as the operator they have a agreement with are ok, i assume it would be fine, i assume this would mean Thinkware have a agreement in any country then ? That do seem like a lot of work for very little.

Denmark have ( 4G ) and are getting ( 5 G ) 4 nationwide networks, so here no problem finding a operastor, though one of them here, i HATE and would never support with anything but a Molotov ****tail thru their window.
Now dont go out and do arson,,,,,, that was just a metaphor for my level of not liking this particular company.

The sim card supplied with your thinkware t700 will work all over the EU and uk,
The only problem we have had is when you're in a bad signal area it will drop out as we found out travelling from brittany to Paris but not for long and as you have a micro sim of witch can take up to 128GB you always have a back up incase there is a problem or just log into the thinkware t700 WiFi,

Hey Jennifer,

So based on your requirements of 4K, front/rear, GPS, tamper-proof case, and cloud capabilities, I'd vote for one of the Blackvue options. I like their cloud functionality in practice much more than Thinkware's offerings.

Right now you can do the DR900X Plus, but next month they're going to release an updated DR970X with some improvements. To get the cloud features, you can plug an LTE antenna into it. There's also going to be a version with LTE built in as well, but that version will be larger and bulkier and I know you mentioned you wanted something more low profile.

It can do everything you're asking for, short of the plow status indicators. I'm not sure of any dashcams that can offer that. It sounds like it's something pretty custom, but hopefully the front camera would be able to see the plow's position either way. :)

I'll PM you with some additional details.

Yes but there is no ADAS on the BlackVue DR900X dashcam
As its produced for mainly the USA.
Its illegal to have ADAS in the USA,

This statement in simply not true.

Many dash cams have ADAS capability in the US, although many users do not find the features to work well on dash cams when compared to the same functionality manufacturers build into cars and trucks, so they tend to turn it off.

Try a search for ADAS here on DCT and you'll return hundreds of hits, practically all of which apply in one way or another to dash cams available in the USA.

Yes but there is no ADAS on the BlackVue DR900X dashcam
As its produced for mainly the USA.
What would ADAS be necessary for? Every implementation I’ve tried throws annoying unnecessary alerts and I wind up quickly disabling it, lol. It also doesn’t sound like she needs truck drivers to know about that.

Do you have a reference or source regarding ADAS being illegal on the US? There are many dashcams sold here with those features and that’s the first I’ve heard of this.

Additionally it looks like @BeanPole68 is in Canada and if so, Canadian laws would be relevant, not American ones.

Hello folks, I'm new here. I've been asked to research dashcams to put into our snow removal vehicles, but I have no real knowledge of dashcams nor their features. That makes it difficult to do a Google search for example. I thought I'd come and ask the group has has the most experience, knowledge and interest in these tools.

We are looking for a dashcam that provides the following features (if one exists) -
  • package of individual front and rear facing cameras
  • 4k resolution (or next resolution down)
  • low light capture
  • GPS
  • upload to Cloud and card (with telemetry - GPS, time, speed)
  • speed measurement
  • indication when certain vehicle elements are active, for example when the plow is lowered, and/or the salter is engaged. This is likely an advanced feature. It would be similar to what you would see with a police dashcam in which there are indicators when their lights and/or sirens are enabled
  • impact detection, alerting
  • tamper proof
  • low profile (screen optional)
If something like this, or close to, exists ... it would provide an incredible asset to our operation for both operator safety, and in litigation defenses.

Jennifer

DashCamTalk is a great resource to turn to for advice about dash cams but you should be aware that it is primarily focused on consumer level products for the average driver, so most of the feedback you are likely to receive is based on the frame of reference of most of the members. Thus, you will mostly get recommendations for consumer level products.

If I understand your post correctly I think what you are looking for exists in an entirely different realm altogether. There is a world of professional dash cams for commercial fleet tracking including camera systems designed specifically for snow plow fleets as well as construction equipment, trucking and emergency vehicles. These types of products and systems rarely if ever get much attention or discussion on this forum.

Here are a few links that I've selected more or less at random that you may find helpful in your search. You'll find dozens more if you do your own searching and research if you direct your searches using terms like "fleet", "snowplow", "commercial" etc., and other terms specific to your requirements and industry.

How Snowplow Fleets Can Optimize Their Operations With Robust Dashcam Fleet Tracking

Last edited:
Back