Power Bank as Mini 0806 power supply

JJD101

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As titled really - I have had a few issues with a stable power supply in my car (Partly due to start/stop technology) and was wondering if anyone else has used a power bank to supply the 0806

Would it work? How big a power bank would be needed to power the Mini 0806 for approx 10 hours?

I'm thinking this one would be ok - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00GBTX1S2
Or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance

I've used a power bank to run mine temporarily when in doors, but the problem you might have is whether the power bank will charge itself while its 'charging' another device simultaneously.

Interesting thought though. A good way to protect your car when parked.

I guess the other issue is shutting down the camera safely, iirc, it only has an option of a few mins for the delayed shut off.

In fact, i just found this (though I've only skimmed the first few paragraphs so may not all be relevent) - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/passthrough-charging-of-power-banks.7751/

Thanks for the reply - I foolishly didn't search for the topic. Some really good info in that section of the forum

I'm not really interested in protecting while parked - it's all about when on the move. As for shutting down, I take the SD card in each night and download the footage so I manually stop the recording. I would be taking the PB in each night to re-charge too

Anyone know how much power the 0806 consumes, and how big a powerbank would be needed for approx 10 hours use?

Since powerbanks wear down over time a good number to use for the cam is 2A (2000mA) which allows for that. 2A times 12V equals 24A, or 2400mA per hour. Multiply that figure by needed runtime and you know the best size of powerbank to look for. In reality most cams draw ~1 to 1.5A so going smaller will work. Most important is to get only a top-quality powerbank; cheap ones are often over-rated by the sellers and use lower-grade batteries which lose capacity (wear) much faster. Xiaomi is my recommended brand, they use only the best of everything. Not cheap, just worth that extra cost and more.

Phil

Be aware though when buying online that there is a large number of fake Xiaomi power banks out there, the knockoff versions are everywhere

Be aware though when buying online that there is a large number of fake Xiaomi power banks out there, the knockoff versions are everywhere

I wasn't aware of that- Thanks! Another reason to stick with only trustworthy vendors ;)

Phil

Anyone know how much power the 0806 consumes, and how big a powerbank would be needed for approx 10 hours use?

Not sure about 0806, however, my Mobius & SGZC12RC cams consume around 500mA, so a 10000mAh power bank should be ample for your needs. I prefer the Anker brand ... bought my first in January 2014 & it's still going strong.

Since powerbanks wear down over time a good number to use for the cam is 2A (2000mA) which allows for that. 2A times 12V equals 24A, or 2400mA per hour. Multiply that figure by needed runtime and you know the best size of powerbank to look for. In reality most cams draw ~1 to 1.5A so going smaller will work. Most important is to get only a top-quality powerbank; cheap ones are often over-rated by the sellers and use lower-grade batteries which lose capacity (wear) much faster. Xiaomi is my recommended brand, they use only the best of everything. Not cheap, just worth that extra cost and more.

Phil
Hi Phil. Thanks for the good info - just a thought though, does the dashcam use 12v? I thought that the USB leads converted to 5v - If this is correct then I think the power bank would last even longer (2A x 5V = 10A or 1000mA Hour)

I've since found a good deal on an Anker product so I'm sure that'll be the go to item

2A, in my opinion, is a high figure, most are well under 1A. Don't know the specific on the 0806 though.

I'm not certain if the "AH" spec is for the camera (5V) or for the PS (12V) so I used the higher figure. Yes 2A is high but if you read my post well you'll see the reason behind that.

Anker makes good stuff too.

Phil

What exactly are the problems you are having with the power supply?

My vehicle has stop / start and is hard wired from the cigarette lighter fuse and I have had no issues whatsoever with the power supply, very stable.

What exactly are the problems you are having with the power supply?

My vehicle has stop / start and is hard wired from the cigarette lighter fuse and I have had no issues whatsoever with the power supply, very stable.
I initially used the supplied hardwire kit, but it was poor quality and the voltage was unstable during the restart part of stop/start. I went back to the cig lighter adaptor but it was getting in the way (I am a driving instructor and have many props in the car - as a driving instructor the stop/start is in use many times each day)

I am now using the rear cig lighter adaptor which is awesome as it has a 5 minute delay timer so no issues with the start/stop. My car is due for replacement next month, and the rear cig adaptor has been deleted from spec, so I'm just trying to come up with a different solution before I lose the functionality

A powerbank will also come in handy for other things IF i can use it as this solution

My original hardwire kit was causing interference on my DAB radio yet the supplied cigarette lighter lead worked fine.

What I did was to buy a trailing cigarette lighter socket and hard wired it via an inline fuse behind the dash, plugged the original cigarette lead into that and ran it up the door pillar as you would with a hardwire kit and works perfectly, no interference on the DAB radio and no power issues.

My original hardwire kit was causing interference on my DAB radio yet the supplied cigarette lighter lead worked fine.

What I did was to buy a trailing cigarette lighter socket and hard wired it via an inline fuse behind the dash, plugged the original cigarette lead into that and ran it up the door pillar as you would with a hardwire kit and works perfectly, no interference on the DAB radio and no power issues.
Genius!!! That sounds like a plan. Trouble is, if my Misses sees this then I won't be getting a powerbank {sits in the corner really wanting a powerbank}

Back